• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare sale -- they claim they have an offer

JanL42

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a classic scam. I company called International Financial Management just called and has now sent me a "contract" to sell my Mayan Palace unit fo $14,500. This sounds like it isn't so, but how do I check it? Or do I just roll my eyes and stop answering their calls? I've lost money to these types before and so I'd like to report the scam to the proper authorities, but I don't know how to do that, either. HELP!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a classic scam. I company called International Financial Management just called and has now sent me a "contract" to sell my Mayan Palace unit fo $14,500. This sounds like it isn't so, but how do I check it? Or do I just roll my eyes and stop answering their calls? I've lost money to these types before and so I'd like to report the scam to the proper authorities, but I don't know how to do that, either. HELP!

Would you pay $14,500 for your current Mayan Palace ownership???

If yes, why would you sell it for that???

If no, why would someone else, who has not gone through the arm-twisting sales presentation, pay that much for it - especially when they could probably buy it for about $100 on eBay???

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
ANY group that calls YOU is 99% certain to be an upfront fee company. What are those? A group that makes great sounding promises to rent/lease/sell/transfer/etc your timeshare or system membership points at a good to great price. They often claim to have a buyer or a renter or a group wanting space, etc - but then YOU have to pay to assure the process gets done. In realty that is all they really want - the upfront money paid by you and they can basically disappear (you'll hear nothing more from them & they will be very hard to impossible to reach) to go after the next victim.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
and then you will get a bill from them before the sale can happen for $4000 in Federal Mexican Taxes that are due that you have to pay before they can finish the transfer, which as I recall is a tax that does not exist, and poof there is your scam and the money goes bye bye as does the "buyer"

Dave

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
and then you will get a bill from them before the sale can happen for $4000 in Federal Mexican Taxes that are due that you have to pay before they can finish the transfer, which as I recall is a tax that does not exist, and poof there is your scam and the money goes bye bye as does the "buyer"

Dave

Then they might probably get an email asking for another $K? amount due in order to get their non-existent refund. :crash:

frenchieinme :hi:

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score

They may also claim that any money you give will be held in escrow. This is just the latest scam. Their supposed escrow company is a fraud.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was trying to sell my timeshare, I had an offer from a company like that. I told them "great, please keep half the money as your commission and send me the other half". They said no, we must have $300 up front from you to complete the sale, bla, bla, bla.... I then offered them 90% ($6000) of the sale price and they would not take it. They wanted my money up front.

A few months later, I called their toll free number to check and see if they were still around. The number had been disconnected. Just as I thought, it was a scam.