• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rented all of my weeks for Spring 2011

Michael

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just finished renting the last of my three MLB Spring Training/Spring Break weeks in Scottsdale! :cheer: Rented all three through Redweek.com for asking price. I have to say that people that rent do not plan very far in advance as all three rented within 2 weeks of check-in date.

- Michael

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised too by the number of last minute requests for rentals. I'm always a planner and can tell you where I'm going on vacation a year from now. :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they don't plan. 2 weeks out from checkin.

Last week was checkin for 3/11 & 3/12. No inquiries after Weds night. Final units paid for on 3/6. 4 different units.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. Seems my Christmas or NY weeks often get booked in October (while I am beginning to sweat whether to cut rental price or deposit for exchange).

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a family rent our week in Orlando when the Dad was circling Orlando with his family in tow and looking for a place. He stopped in a kinkos type store, and used the computer to seal the deal. Oh Well! Funtime

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. Seems my Christmas or NY weeks often get booked in October (while I am beginning to sweat whether to cut rental price or deposit for exchange).

I actually raised my price on two of the weeks by $25 ... :rofl:

And did you know, one resort has a rebooking fee now? ;)

And I have started charging the Paypal fees as extra since my Trinidad lady experience. Decided I rather have people send overnight mail with bank drafts to my post office box. And persons who can't plan, can pay the fees for Paypal. Overnight mail is 20-25% the cost of Paypal.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a family rent our week in Orlando when the Dad was circling Orlando with his family in tow and looking for a place. He stopped in a kinkos type store, and used the computer to seal the deal. Oh Well! Funtime

Last winter had Cindy from NTHC Paypal'ing me first at PHL airport and then while waiting for the connecting flight at MCO. Same trip, had a cellphone guy calling as he drove to FL. Met him at the FLL resort and collected the cash. The asked the Front Desk clerk to check him into my unit. That was later in the evening of the same night, I met the two ladies from Seattle who called me on the way to the airport, flew to FLL and met me in the lobby of the Pompano resort. Walked the unit with them and collected the $1100 in cash; we returned to the lobby, where I ask that Front Desk clerk to check them in. And then one guest decide to outstay their stay => collected those additional nights via an in person visit.:doh:

That was a two week trip to FLL over President's Birthday, 2010. I banked $2,000 on Monday.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last winter had Cindy from NTHC Paypal'ing me first at PHL airport and then while waiting for the connecting flight at MCO. Same trip, had a cellphone guy calling as he drove to FL. Met him at the FLL resort and collected the cash. The asked the Front Desk clerk to check him into my unit. That was later in the evening of the same night, I met the two ladies from Seattle who called me on the way to the airport, flew to FLL and met me in the lobby of the Pompano resort. Walked the unit with them and collected the $1100 in cash; we returned to the lobby, where I ask that Front Desk clerk to check them in. And then one guest decide to outstay their stay => collected those additional nights via an in person visit.:doh:

That was a two week trip to FLL over President's Birthday, 2010. I banked $2,000 on Monday.

You have more guts than me. I used to always bank a week I hadn't rented exactly 14 days in advance so as not to lose the week altogether. You don't get much trading power that way, but a little beats none. Now that you can deposit in RCI weeks very close to check in I might hold out a little longer.

Trying to rent a week right up to check in is nerve wracking unless it is a week I can use myself, but you have given me hope and next time I might ride it into the ground.

A few years ago people used to book 3 or 4 months in advance. Nowadays a month in advance seems to be about average. It sure does make you sweat.

Michael

TUG Member
Reaction score
No question about it. Rentals in previous years happened several months before check-in. Now, if you have high demand weeks in a good location, you do get them rented, but sweat it out till the end! At one of my resorts, I can cancel anytime up to check-in so that helps with the nerves.

- Michael

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have more guts than me. I used to always bank a week I hadn't rented exactly 14 days in advance so as not to lose the week altogether. You don't get much trading power that way, but a little beats none. Now that you can deposit in RCI weeks very close to check in I might hold out a little longer.

Trying to rent a week right up to check in is nerve wracking unless it is a week I can use myself, but you have given me hope and next time I might ride it into the ground.

A few years ago people used to book 3 or 4 months in advance. Nowadays a month in advance seems to be about average. It sure does make you sweat.

I still cancel the Wyndham points reservations 15 days in advance. I have eaten those once too many times. But I have a lot of fixed winter weeks ... I eat one or two weeks per season - by using them myself.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I had a similar experience. The past three years, I rented my Kierland two bedroom unit in October or November. This year, I rented only the large one bedroom portion. I canceled the small side one bedroom 61 days in advance, so I still have 67100 StarOptions to use for Maui or to deposit in Interval.

Fortunately, the rent was 1.5 x MF's for the entire unit, so I have a "free" week (if you ignore the opportunity cost on my "investment").

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 30 yr. old son loves to stay at high end resorts, but is too disorganized ? impulsive ? spontaneous ? to plan for vacations. I offered him a TS week anywhere for his college graduation 8 years ago and he has never taken me up on it, cause he would have to tell me way too far in advance. He rents last minute off VRBO and Redweek.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow, indeed, talk about cutting it close. I just can't imagine people waiting to GET TO their destination to be looking online for rental ads. Amazing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lately, I have had people contacting me for Maui rentals at 2 weeks out - who plans a trip where they have to buy expensive airfare and expensive accommodations, only 2 weeks in advance? :shrug:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lately, I have had people contacting me for Maui rentals at 2 weeks out - who plans a trip where they have to buy expensive airfare and expensive accommodations, only 2 weeks in advance? :shrug:

Those with sky miles to burn. I recently had to rent a Maui week twice when first renter couldn't go at the last minute. The second renter contacted me I think 21 days out. He said he had 2 milion miles and always looks for last minute steals knowing he has the airfare covered.