• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

UDI Points Deeded~ Advice Please

kcar39

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some advice and some info regarding UDI points and deeded sales.

A few years ago we converted our fixed week time share to points.
We were talked into buying more points so that we could have more "trading power" as they say. We also had to pay to join the "vacation club".
We have two deeds, one for the fixed week and one for the points.

I attempted to sell these deeds and was then informed that the points would not convey to the new owner. The converted fixed week would convert back to a week and the points could not be transferred at all unless to a family member or someone else who is named on the deed.

After calling a whole lot of people at the resort, one person told me that in fact the deeded week would convert back to a week and the points deed would just "go away" since I would no longer be a member of "vacation club" after the fixed property was sold.

The deeded points are not enough to stand alone for anything, but were bought to supplement the first timeshare purchase. We do pay a yearly maintenance fee for these points which are UDI and attached to another resort.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the deeded points just "go away" and leave us no longer responsible for the deed, or will we be stuck with points and a silly maint. fee forever? :confused:

Any help provided is greatly appreciated and I do thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and answer my questions.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Deeded Points Don't Go Away. But Club Membership Vanishes Upon Resale.

The deeded points are not enough to stand alone for anything, but were bought to supplement the first timeshare purchase. We do pay a yearly maintenance fee for these points which are UDI and attached to another resort.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the deeded points just "go away" and leave us no longer responsible for the deed, or will we be stuck with points and a silly maint. fee forever? :confused:

Any help provided is greatly appreciated and I do thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and answer my questions.
A timeshare where we formerly owned a floating 3BR lock-off unit had ownerships of various sizes & flavors, including UDI points of various sizes that were originally sold to work with the timeshare company's proprietary points-based club-style resort exchange system.

In fact, about the time we bought our Floating Diamond 3BR lock-off unit, for about the same money somebody else bought an enormous eBay UDI-points ownership at the same resort that worked out to the equivalent of 3½ weeks in a 3BR unit.

Even after we bought, I kept on looking at the eBay offerings at the same timeshare -- some 3BR, some 2BR, some 1BR, & some UDI points. Lots of the UDIs were so small (i.e., so few points) that the resort manager joked that about all they were good for is 1 afternoon in the pool -- an exaggeration, but an apt way to express the uselessness of those small UDI ownerships after they had been separated from the proprietary club memberships they originally went with. When the underlying timeshare property was sold, the associated membership vanished -- did not transfer to the new owner upon resale.

With straight floating-weeks deeds, the new owners could at least show up & check in for their week (after making a reservation). With minimal UDIs, however, the new owners would have to (1) look up the points-values of various unit sizes & demand seasons at the resort where their UDIs are deeded, then (2) see what they might be able to get for the number of points they own, & (3) request a reservation & hope for the best.

Basically, small UDI deeds aren't worth much once they're separated from the "club" they started with. So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

kcar39

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the underlying timeshare property was sold, the associated membership vanished -- did not transfer to the new owner upon resale.

With straight floating-weeks deeds, the new owners could at least show up & check in for their week (after making a reservation). With minimal UDIs, however, the new owners would have to (1) look up the points-values of various unit sizes & demand seasons at the resort where their UDIs are deeded, then (2) see what they might be able to get for the number of points they own, & (3) request a reservation & hope for the best.

Basically, small UDI deeds aren't worth much once they're separated from the "club" they started with. So it goes.

So, if I sell my week, I am no longer responsible for the UDI points? The deed becomes null, void, non existent?

Last edited by a moderator:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's About The Size Of It (Almost).

So, if I sell my week, I am no longer responsible for the UDI points? The deed becomes null, void, non existent?
The deed keeps on going in full force. But once you sell it, somebody else owns it & that new owner is responsible for paying the maintenance fees.

What becomes null & void & nonexistent is your old club membership, which ends & does not transfer to the new owner of your former UDI points. That means those UDI points are no longer good for use within the club reservation system made up of multiple resorts.

Without club membership attached, the UDI points are good only at the resort where the UDI points are deeded -- & if it's just a small number of UDI points, the ownership might not be good for much, meaning it might be hard to find a buyer.

Good luck.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we talking Wyndham points or which system? Different systems different rules.

kcar39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we talking Wyndham points or which system? Different systems different rules.

This is Orange Lake and the Holiday Inn Vacation Club.

What to do with this deed? It is worthless and I don't want to continue to pay maint. fees on this when I will never use them.

:(