• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie- Disney Exchange [w/Wyndham]

andreabrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a resale timeshare for Wyndham and was looking to trade into RCI for Disney Vacation Club. Just curious as to when I should start looking for June 2015 and about how many points does it take for that time of year for a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Thanks for the help. I have a lot to read up on!:)

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the ongoing search. February has been deposited, so in 3-4 months, hopefully you can catch something. You're looking for Orlando? That should be 105K points for a 1 bedroom and 165K for a 2 bedroom.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Should I go ahead and deposit my points in with RCI?

Yes, especially if you're looking for a two bedroom. The longer the search has been running, the higher the priority.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and deposit my points in with RCI?

You don't actually need points in your RCI account in order to set up a search or for the search to match. Once it matches, it will be on hold until end of business on the third day after (unless it falls on a weekend, then until end of Monday). So you can deposit the points after it matches, the points show up in your RCI account the next day after you deposit.

On the other hand, if you think you might want to catch something sitting in the online inventory, then it would be good to have points deposited. You can't hold anything in the online inventory without enough points.

persia

Reaction score
Transfer of points is irreversible, once they are transferred your only choice is to use them for RCI. If you are not picky on the dates your chances of getting a 2 bedroom DVC exchange are good in an ongoing search. Your chances of finding it on the RCI site are not as good. You are most likely not the only one looking for that exchange and it will be offered to all the people doing ongoing searches before it hits the site inventory.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, start the ongoing search right away. Searches are fulfilled in the order they are started, so the sooner the better.

The first BIG question, though, is this: Is your Wyndham RCI account set up and functional?

If not, it may not get set up automatically; you may have to apply to have it set up. That process can be maddeningly slow, so you have to get it started and keep checking regularly.

Once you get it set up, I think your chances of getting DVC are quite good...depending on what you want. A 2BR at one of the larger resorts is probably doable (we got one at OKW in mid-December at about 5 months out last year). At the smaller resorts like VWL, BCV, or VGF, a 2 BR would be much more difficult.

Setting your search for a range of dates, rather than one specific week, will greatly increase your chances, and so will listing multiple resorts.

If you have stayed at DVC previously and really want one specific resort, I would only list that one initially. (We really wanted an OKW 2 BR, and that was the only resort and villa size we listed.) If you don't get that one initially and start to get nervous, you can broaden your search parameters later without giving up your priority.

Normally DVC bulk deposits are made around 7 months from checkin, and then there are some individual opportunities later as people change plans and throw weeks back in.

Good luck.

Last edited:

persia

Reaction score
Now that you essentially use the same credentials on both RCI and Wyndham I don't think any setup is necessary. Just pick it off the Wyndham menu, agree to TOS (every time) and that's it...

I agree, start the ongoing search right away. Searches are fulfilled in the order they are started, so the sooner the better.

The first BIG question, though, is this: Is your Wyndham RCI account set up and functional?

If not, it may not get set up automatically; you may have to apply to have it set up. That process can be maddeningly slow, so you have to get it started and keep checking regularly.

Once you get it set up, I think your chances of getting DVC are quite good...depending on what you want. A 2BR at one of the larger resorts is probably doable (we got one at OKW in mid-December at about 5 months out last year). At the smaller resorts like VWL, BCV, or VGF, a 2 BR would be much more difficult.

Setting your search for a range of dates, rather than one specific week, will greatly increase your chances, and so will listing multiple resorts.

If you have stayed at DVC previously and really want one specific resort, I would only list that one initially. (We really wanted an OKW 2 BR, and that was the only resort and villa size we listed.) If you don't get that one initially and start to get nervous, you can broaden your search parameters later without giving up your priority.

Normally DVC bulk deposits are made around 7 months from checkin, and then there are some individual opportunities later as people change plans and throw weeks back in.

Good luck.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that you essentially use the same credentials on both RCI and Wyndham I don't think any setup is necessary. Just pick it off the Wyndham menu, agree to TOS (every time) and that's it...
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure about that, which is why I said "may." Glad to hear it, because it was a big 4-month problem when I bought a couple of years ago.

andreabrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! The RCI is set up but still in the other persons name. They said I just need to fax over the deed and they will change it.

How much is it to do an ongoing search? Do they charge you more if you select more than one resort?

Anyone have a preference on a DVC?

Thanks for all the help!

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! The RCI is set up but still in the other persons name. They said I just need to fax over the deed and they will change it.

How much is it to do an ongoing search? Do they charge you more if you select more than one resort?

Thanks for all the help!

It's $209 to set up a search and can be for more than one resort. You can actually set up more than one search and it'll go off of that one $209 credit.

We've stayed at Bay Lake Towers (1 bedroom, lake view) and Animal Kingdom Kidani (1 bedroom, savannah view). It was cool seeing animals outside our room at AKV, but I preferred BLT. I liked the contemporary decor and brightness of BLT (AKV rooms are a tad dark), but most of all the LOCATION. It's about 10 minutes walk to Magic Kingdom door-to-door. I also liked the proximity to the Contemporary Resort and the monorail. We did Hoop-Dee-Doo (fun show, good value for Disney), the ferry to Fort Wilderness was very convenient as well.

Here are some thoughts on the other ones:
Old Key West and Sarasota Springs are probably the easiest trades. They're a little more remote, but some people like them for various reasons. OKW I've read has the largest units. There's a ferry to Downtown Disney.

Beach Club Villas and Boardwalk Villas are probably the hardest trades because they're convenient to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. BCV has Stormalong Bay, which sounds very cool. At one point I matched BWV, but thought my son might be freaked out by the clown pool, so threw it back. LOL

Wilderness Lodge has the American West nature theme and a ferry to Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's $209 to set up a search and can be for more than one resort. You can actually set up more than one search and it'll go off of that one $209 credit.

Hmmm...
I have 2 ongoing searches running and I did not have to pay any booking fee to set them up...

IF either match AND I accept the match, then, and only then, I will have to pay the booking fee.

What requires you to pay up front in your case? Because it is DVC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...
I have 2 ongoing searches running and I did not have to pay any booking fee to set them up...

Did you have a balance in your account when you set up the search? Whenever I start a search, it checks to see if I have the current exchange fee as the balance in my account. When I set up a new search recently, I had to pay $10 since the balance in my account was $199 from before the fee went up.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
They had a promo a few months ago where you could start a search without prepaying the fee. If you started them then, you'll have to pay it when you confirm.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you have a balance in your account when you set up the search? Whenever I start a search, it checks to see if I have the current exchange fee as the balance in my account. When I set up a new search recently, I had to pay $10 since the balance in my account was $199 from before the fee went up.

They had a promo a few months ago where you could start a search without prepaying the fee. If you started them then, you'll have to pay it when you confirm.

ailin - no I don't have a cash balance, only points on deposit, but perhaps I lucked out with a promo as scootr5 mentioned. This was during the Wyndham RCI portal update that was causing lots of problems and I called in to set them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have access to it already? If so, check to see if there are any points on deposit. When I finally got my account functional, I found a bunch of points there that I didn't even know existed!

No extra RCI charge, but there is some strategy involved, and an understanding of how the OGS matches work would be helpful.

In addition to the RCI exchange fee (which is prepaid if you are doing an OGS, but will be credited back if you don't match), you will pay a $95 fee to DVC at checkin. They will give you some story about what it covers, but the stuff they tell you is free for all onsite guests, no matter how they book. It's just a "because-we-can" fee.

OGS Strategy:
The more flexibility -- in resort, villa size, date ranges, etc -- you have, the more likely you are to get a match. Conversely, the more choices you list on your OGS, the more likely you are to get something that is not what you really want.

OGS searches are filled in order of the placement date of the OGS -- first in, first filled. So the earlier OGS' go to the front of the line and have priority over more recent searches. BUT...if you modify your search later, you still keep your priority. The same is true if you match, but decline the match -- you don't go to the end of the line, you resume your priority. So what many people do is start with a search for exactly what you want first, and then broaden it later if you start getting nervous.

While each resort has its own unique theme and benefits, and its own set of fans, availability is not like regular booking availability for either DVC owners or cash rentals through Disney reservations. There are three separate inventories: DVC points, cash through Disney, and RCI exchange inventory. Availability for an exchange occurs when a DVC owner deposits their points to exchange OUT via RCI.

For that reason, you will see more availability not at the "less popular" resorts, but at the larger resorts. Why? Larger resort, more owners, more owners likely to exchange out just due to the size of the owner base. So for DVC, you will see more RCI availability at SSR and OKW (the two largest), then AKV, BWV, and BLT (the medium-sized resorts). You will see little RCI availability at BCV, VGF, and VWL because they are much smaller and therefore have a much smaller owner base. But "little" does not mean "none."

Also the popularity of various seasons has nothing to do with RCI availability. For example, December anywhere is virtually impossible to get for DVC owners unless they reserve as soon as the 11-month window opens. But that's not true for exchanges. Last year, we got an OKW 2 bedroom (our only request on our OGS) for Dec 14-21. We got it in late July. That is an impossible reservation for a DVC owner, but we got one, threw it back, and got a second one with better dates. Another example is BWV during the Food & Wine Festival -- impossible for DVC owners who don't own BWV; possible for RCI exchangers.

I do -- but my preference might well not be the best for your family on any particular trip.

I would focus on what you plan on doing most during your trip, considering the number, ages, and interests of your party. Got little kids and spending most of your time at MK? -- go for BLT. Spending most of your time at Epcot? Go for BWV and BCV. Going to have a car, prefer to drive to the parks, and want parking at your door? Go for OKW/SSR. You get the idea.

All of the resorts are great, and there are no wrong answers.

Good luck!

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: If I were to trade into a Disney resort, I would presume I would be entitled to all the benefits of staying at a Disney resort such as the ability to book a fastpass+ at the 60 day mark?

andreabrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I did an ongoing search and it did not charge me. Am I lucky or will it charge after I pick?

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: If I were to trade into a Disney resort, I would presume I would be entitled to all the benefits of staying at a Disney resort such as the ability to book a fastpass+ at the 60 day mark?
Yes. You will get all of the regular onsite Disney resort guest perks, including Magical Express from and to the airport, Extra Mickey Hours at the theme parks, the ability to bill purchases in Disney stores to your room and have the merchandise delivered to your room, free parking at theme parks, etc. You will also be able to buy the Disney Dining Plan if you want.

You will NOT get DVC owner perks like pool-hopping, access to Top of the World lounge, or discounts.

mianmike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You will get all of the regular onsite Disney resort guest perks, including Magical Express from and to the airport, Extra Mickey Hours at the theme parks, the ability to bill purchases in Disney stores to your room and have the merchandise delivered to your room, free parking at theme parks, etc. You will also be able to buy the Disney Dining Plan if you want.

You will NOT get DVC owner perks like pool-hopping, access to Top of the World lounge, or discounts.

Evcellent! Thank you very much. I must go now so I can start an ongoing search.