• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions about what fees are allowed on Bargain Deals

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand. I did not realize the rules state exactly that but I just read them to refresh my memory.

So in my case I could have charged for the closing, recording, ROFR, and transfer fees but then given a credit to the buyer for the yet to be billed 2017 fee? It makes sense because fee amounts are all over the map but in my specific case it would have washed close to zero.

The rules state transfer fee is ok but are we allowed to charge for closing and recording? I like to make all those free so the buyer doesn't have to worry but it depends on the situation.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Closing, recording, and ROFR are transfer fees.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Closing, recording, and ROFR are transfer fees.

I have always thought of the transfer fee as the bogus fee charged by the resort or system.

What if the person giving a unit away is doing their own closing? Are we allowed to charge a flat fee that includes all of the above with the true purchase price as $1 or free? Or do these fees need to be out of pocket or paid directly by the new owner?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I am trying to understand specifically what is and is not allowed since in my case I could have done the same thing but stated differently and still been within the rules. For example someone can't have the new owner pay a maintenance fee but couldn't they simply charge more for closing? Even if the latter is allowed it is less confusing and less likely to cause a misunderstanding of value.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since transfer fees can vary widely depending on the title company used, the resort's fee, and regional fees, there is no way to set an exact figure on what the fee should be.

However, the intent of this forum is to give away timeshares for FREE, and sneaking in additional fees by any method, violates the rules of this forum.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I split this off from the OP's Ad - not really fair to them.

Let me add that I verified this with TUG Owner, Brian Rogers, before posting.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you are asking for money to you, as a seller above and beyond normal closing costs paid to either a closing company or the resort itself, its not a bargain deal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brian - the issue being questioned is that in several Ads, the seller was asking the new owner to pay future maintenance fees, but the original owner was keeping the usage themselves. The MF may actually be paid to the resort, but since the original owner is keeping the usage, this is clearly not free.

It's a way of charging for the timeshare, without saying that you are actually "selling it."

Example:

I sell you my timeshare - usage starting in 2018.
However, I require you to pay the 2017 MF, and I keep the usage.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
that is something that easily fits into "above and beyond normal closing costs".

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rules are clear Brian and Denise, but the name of the forum is confusing

From the Cambridge English Dictionary>> what is bargain: something on sale at a lower price than its true value

Sometimes a price tag of zero is more than an item is worth, sometimes its the exact right price and sometimes it does really represents a bargain.

I recently sold a 2 week package on ebay that was a "bargain" for my buyer at $3500> It was a shame not to be able to offer it here first, but those are the rules.

and ive given things away that some would say (did say) screwed my buyer.

Price has nothing to do with it... Value does

At the marina where I dock my boat the managers have placed a "free table" this is where we can put unwanted items that we might otherwise throw away, and make them available for "free" to others at the marina that might be able to use them. For many items this is just a way station on the way to the dumptster, but as they say, "one mans trash is another mans treasure" and most everything gets picked up.

Its not my forum, and I havent been charged with enforcing the rules, but I would respectfully submit that since the forum is no longer a "bargain" forum, you ought change the name to call it a "free" forum

By the way I had no idea that it was my offer that was the thing that caused you to re define the word bargain... Wouldnt it have been easier to just declare what I was offering to be no bargain, and take down my ad, instead of redefining the word.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My 2 cents

I think Ron' Wyndham Canterbury ( San Fran ) was definitely a bargain
since he gave it away for free and I think paid the Wyndham transfer fees .

The happy buyer understood , as Ron fully explained - that xx dollars of monthly,MF. would be payed for xx months but that use would not be available
until xx date .

This money was going to the resort - so Ron was not putting any $ in his pocket from the
discussed transaction .

The use of a future years points / prior to giving it away was a fully disclosed BUT separate
transaction .

IMO - that bargain deal did not fit into the Marketplace category of TS under
$ 500 .

Have a good weekend -

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
But he was putting money in his pocket from the transaction. He received rental revenue on points for which the buyer would paid MF. That's cash.

On the balance, I would say it amounted to more of a fair value deal than a bargain, all in all.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if the rules are clear, im not sure where the confusion lies?

that said, when you have this many people involved, nothing is ever cut and dry and many folks will interpret things as they see fit. I try to make things as fair as possible, but no rule ever truly makes 100% of people happy.

I have no patience for those that argue with or are snippy with moderators who are merely doing their jobs to enforce the rules on the site. bitch to me if you want as I answer pms and emails all day, but dont bitch to them as they dont deserve it.

if I hear about it (or it continues after this) ill just ban you. (bitching to me is another matter entirely, ill always listen even if I dont agree with you...but I simply wont tolerate the abuse of my moderators)

Last edited: