• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it reasonable for Sheraton Vistana to charge $50 for 4 small Amazon parcel receive

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charging a small fee for the cost of the service seems more than reasonable. While $10 per package seems high, I agree it is probably done as a deterrent as the TS doesn't want to provide that service frequently. I will say that if I am charged a fee, it would reduce or possibly eliminate my gratutity for the service.

The example I always use is when I flight discount airlines like Ryanair who charge for everything (seats, peanuts, even water).

You offer free water, soda, and peanuts, and it takes nearly 45 minutes to serve the flight. You fly Ryanair which charges a nominal charge for soft drinks/beverages they can serve the entire cabin in 10 minutes!

Which airline provides better service? I would say the airline that charges fees that can be avoided (Ryanair) because I am willing to pay for the service. I also like the guarantee that I am assured to get a window seat. When we flew them, roughly 20% of the passengers paid the $3 charge for a pre assigned seat on a 90 minute flight. That is an indicator about how cheap folks are about paying for services.

Though I think $50 for a single package is obscene and predatory.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The example I always use is when I flight discount airlines like Ryanair who charge for everything (seats, peanuts, even water).

You offer free water, soda, and peanuts, and it takes nearly 45 minutes to serve the flight. You fly Ryanair which charges a nominal charge for soft drinks/beverages they can serve the entire cabin in 10 minutes!

Which airline provides better service? I would say the airline that charges fees that can be avoided (Ryanair) because I am willing to pay for the service. I also like the guarantee that I am assured to get a window seat. When we flew them, roughly 20% of the passengers paid the $3 charge for a pre assigned seat on a 90 minute flight. That is an indicator about how cheap folks are about paying for services.

(emphasis mine)

I don't think you can draw that conclusion. Many folks are cheap, certainly, but the fact that the budget airlines fly significantly fewer seats than mainstream ones suggests the opposite: that a majority of people still do expect basic amenities. Your observations regarding customer behavior are only applicable to customers who fly Ryanair, who by definition belong to a group of consumers which expects fewer included services.

Reminds me of some years ago when US Airways began testing a similar "charge for beverages" policy, and quickly backtracked because of the outcry: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-02-23-us-airways-drinks_N.htm

Anyway, comparing the fee-for-service model of a budget airline like Ryanair to the expectations of a high-end resort brand like Starwood is unfair to begin with, and I tend to come down on the side of folks who expect basic resort services like package handling to be included. Of course people who don't receive packages while on vacation don't want to pay for that service in their MFs, but if suddenly the resort began charging to use the grills, or pool towels, or Wi-Fi, those same people would cry out. This demonstrates that their argument is spurious. But it's hardly surprising that people want others to share in the costs of the services they use, and don't want to share in the costs of the services other people use.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FWIW, I was at SDO last week and had to have something delivered unexpectedly while there. No charge. When I asked, I specifically inquired if there was a fee, and the staff was surprised I even asked the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk