• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have any Royal owners heard AI rumours for renters and exchangers? [merged]

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed as well. We've exchanged into RH the last two summers but decided to skip this year, thinking we'd go back next year. Now we probably won't ever go back even if I could rent or do a direct exchange with an owner, because the idea of being at an AI resort is just not appealing.:(

If you make the reservation prior to the new program starting, you should be fine as the RR rep said it would be honoured.

Finsky

Reaction score
Replied on 3/26/2012 3:15:26 PM Delete
By ROYAL RESORTS MANAGEMENT: Dear Susan: The I.I. reservation was made in your name therefore your son will have optional access to the all-inclusive package, even though you will not be accompanying him during his stay. Furthermore, any reservations made prior to our announcement will be respected regardless of the date that they are for.
I hope that this answers your query.

This was posted by management on their Royal Resorts website for members.

So does this mean that if you have a reservation for after the implementation date and you are a NON MEMBER that you wouldn't have to pay for the all-inclusive package?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
the idea of being at an AI resort is just not appealing.:(
I have a little different perspective on an AI resort not being appealing. We've owned at the PB Rose in Cabo since 1998 and have been going there just about every year. Last summer they offered an all-inclusive plan for the first time and we tried it.

Now, I'll grant you that it wasn't mandatory and we got a great rate as owners, which was reduced even further when we did a presentation. But, the whole week-long experience was just wonderful. We didn't have to worry about where we were going to eat each night or how much each meal was going to cost or what the bill might be if everyone in our party ordered a drink or two. We could order whatever we wanted at the pool for lunch. We could attend every special event each night. We didn't have to shop for groceries and try to use up everything we had bought before the week was over. The whole week was just very relaxing and enjoyable.

In other words, we found it very appealing and look forward to doing it again. My suggestion for Royals owners is to try it--you just might like it.:)

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
If you make the reservation prior to the new program starting, you should be fine as the RR rep said it would be honoured.

That's not what post #113 here is saying:

"Thanks for the heads up from tug members that this situation is occurring. I had three consecutive weeks at Royal Resorts (Jan & Feb 2013) including one week at the Royal Sands. Per my investigation and discussion with Royal Resort and II staff and management, non royal owners who exchange in like I did will be considered non members and will be required to purchase the AI plan at the Royal Sands. Even if you confirmed your exchange prior to the announcement they don't care. They will not grandfather you in or give you a choice."

So does anyone know which is correct?

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
By ROYAL RESORTS MANAGEMENT: Dear Susan: The I.I. reservation was made in your name therefore your son will have optional access to the all-inclusive package, even though you will not be accompanying him during his stay. Furthermore, any reservations made prior to our announcement will be respected regardless of the date that they are for.

This was posted by management on their Royal Resorts website for members.

No, the above says prior to the announcement, not prior to program start.

So does this mean that if you have a reservation for after the implementation date and you are a NON MEMBER that you wouldn't have to pay for the all-inclusive package?

That's not what post #113 here is saying:

"Thanks for the heads up from tug members that this situation is occurring. I had three consecutive weeks at Royal Resorts (Jan & Feb 2013) including one week at the Royal Sands. Per my investigation and discussion with Royal Resort and II staff and management, non royal owners who exchange in like I did will be considered non members and will be required to purchase the AI plan at the Royal Sands. Even if you confirmed your exchange prior to the announcement they don't care. They will not grandfather you in or give you a choice."

So does anyone know which is correct?

Helene4's post, in red, is in writing from the royal resorts website. I would go with that rather than Tashamen's because as far as I can tell that was a discussion and is not in writing from the Royals.

However, Helene4's red post doesn't say WHAT will be respected.......

The Royals need to figure out the issues of 1) II exchangers and 2) reservations made before the announcement and then put that in writing.

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK...Here's the whole inquiry:

What if we do an II exchange for a family member? Are they required to buy into the AI if my husband or I are not with them?

I exchanged one of our summer Royal Mayan weeks for a November week at the Haciendas. About three hours after I received my exchange, I received the email from Royal Resorts about the AI. I would never have exchanged into the Haciendas if I'd known my son might be required to buy into the AI. He will be attending a wedding at a nearby AI resort. I made the exchange to the Haciendas for him because he was not interested in AI.

Page: [1]
Replied on 3/24/2012 12:12:22 PM Delete
By BARBARA MINZER: I want to add a related question. Does it make a difference in the case described here whether the exchange was made through Interval International or ISCO.

I know that Interval International requires the purchase of a guest certificate if the II member making the exchange will not be checking into the unit obtained through an exchange. My understanding is that in order for a guest to refuse the AI package, the exchanged unit must be in the member's name and the member in that case must be present at checkin.

I do not know how this issue is handled with ISCO. If one member was exchanging his unit for another member's unit, then I think that AI should be optional, since, according to the rules, it is optional for a non member staying in a member's unit even if the member is not there.
Replied on 3/26/2012 1:55:40 PM Delete
By :

I'm still waiting for an answer. Would someone from the Royals please reply?

Thank you.

Replied on 3/26/2012 6:01:31 PM Delete
By :

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bad.. If it is based on the announcement date rather than the implementation date, then exchangers would have issues.

sigh......

We will be at the Sands and the Haciendas in May, so hopefully there will be a lot more info by then.
We have no plans to go to the Royals in 2013 when our Mayan expires but were going to go back in 2014.
I guess we get to sit on the sidelines for a year and see if it makes sense to pick up another resale week.....

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read on http://royalresortowners.ning.com/ that the AI for non-members would be $900/week/person.
I don't know if that is just talk, or official.

If that's for real, and people want to go to the Royals but avoid the AI, that could increase the resale market....become a member and don't have to pay AI.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I read on http://royalresortowners.ning.com/ that the AI for non-members would be $900/week/person.

If that's for real, and people want to go to the Royals but avoid the AI, that could increase the resale market....become a member and don't have to pay AI.

That's what I was just thinking - maybe we should just buy a week at RH and avoid the issue...now if I can only convince DH that we need another ts...:D

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow that's great, only $3600 for my family to eat food! Then we add the exchange and my MF of about $900 plus air of about $2000 and we have HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS KIDDIES!!! $6500 and that's without a car or spending a peso on anything else... Guess I'll be renting or heading to Florida more often.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding pre-existing exchange or rental reservations:

Just posted today on the Royal Resorts site:

18. Will non-members who have already made reservations to stay at The Royal Haciendas or The Royal Sands prior to the commencement of the All-Inclusive program have to purchase the mandatory All-Inclusive package?
No, non-members who have already made a rental or international exchange reservation will not have to purchase the mandatory package. This new program does not affect existing reservations, regardless of the occupancy date.

This clarifies the difference between posts 113 (NOT grandfathered in) and 124 (reservations before the announcement will be honored....but it doesn't say WHAT will be honored)

Bottom line: pre-existing reservations for rentals or exchanges will NOT have mandatory AI.

Edited - I just re-read #18 above; the FAQ refers to "prior to the commencement of the...program, while I had interpreted it as prior to the announcement. Good grief, this is confusing.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rest of the March 27 updates from royalresorts.com

From the members' area:

CRITERIA THAT DETERMINES WHETHER PACKAGES ARE OPTIONAL
14. If a Member exchanges through an International Exchange company or does an internal exchange with Interval Servicing Co. (ISCO) or rents will the Member have to purchase the Special All-inclusive Member package?
No, the Member will have optional access to the special all-inclusive package for members.

15. If Members acquire additional space for their guests either through an International exchange company, or an Internal Exchange with ISCO or a rental but the guests are not staying in the same unit as the Member, do they have optional access to the All-Inclusive Package?
If the reservation is in the name of a Member, their guests will have optional access to the All-Inclusive package. If the Reservation is NOT in the name of a Member, their guests will not have optional access to the All-Inclusive package.

16. If a Member loans or rents their units privately will the person they rent to have optional access to the All-Inclusive Package?
Yes, they will have optional access to the All-Inclusive package.

17. If a Member has non-member friends who exchange into Royal Resorts with their own timeshare, not a Royal Resorts membership, through an International exchange company, will they have to purchase the mandatory All-Inclusive package?
Yes, it will be mandatory for the non-member friends.

18. Will non-members who have already made reservations to stay at The Royal Haciendas or The Royal Sands prior to the commencement of the All-Inclusive program have to purchase the mandatory All-Inclusive package?
No, non-members who have already made a rental or international exchange reservation will not have to purchase the mandatory package. This new program does not affect existing reservations, regardless of the occupancy date.

19. Are the resorts on St. Maarten, Curacao and Aruba operated with Systems by Royal Resorts going to participate in the packages program?
Simpson Bay Resort, The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort, Sea Aquarium Resort and Costa Linda are not currently participating in the packages program.

20. When will the full details and prices of all the packages be released?
Package details and prices will be published by July 2, 2012, to commence on October 27, 2012 (week 43).

21. Are Members going to be charged for any services that have always been complimentary in the past?
No, they will not be charged for services that have been complimentary in the past.

22. Is the Special All-Inclusive Package for Members going to be mandatory at some point?
No, it will remain optional as long as the existing membership agreements last. However, we do hope that the Special All-Inclusive packages for Members are attractive enough for Members to take advantage of them.

RESORT AMBIANCE & SERVICES

23. Will the Resort Atmosphere Change?
We would like to assure you that Royal Resorts is committed to maintaining the family atmosphere that you have always experienced and enjoy so much. Royal Resorts has always focused upon quality and will continue to provide the highest possible standards.
A significant proportion of Royal Resorts guests have always been non-members. As of October 2012, non-member renters and exchangers will have to pay a considerably higher rate that includes packages such as the food and beverage package referred to; this should assist in ensuring a desired level of clientele.
Furthermore, there are various high-end all-inclusive resorts in the area that have been awarded with numerous international honors for the quality of the guest experience they offer.

24. How are the additional services offered in the Special All-Inclusive package going to affect my Annual Maintenance Fees (aka Club Service Fees)?
Your annual Club Service Fee will not be affected in any way. These services will be covered with the additional fee integrated in the rental rate and an additional fee for exchangers, non-members and members who choose to purchase it.

25. FOOD AND BEVERAGES

a. Are the food and beverage facilities adequate to provide a good All-Inclusive experience?
Extensive research and competitive analysis was conducted in-house and by third parties prior to making the decision to launch the packages program at The Royal Haciendas and The Royal Sands. The facilities are more than adequate for this program.

b. Which restaurants would be included in the All-inclusive program? Can you eat at Hacienda Sisal, El Conquistador, Captain’s Cove and Los Murales?
There will be a Specialty Dining Package that will include food and beverages in the aforementioned restaurants.

c. What will happen to Happy Hour?
It will continue with half-priced drinks.

d. What will happen to the Welcome Party?
The Welcome Party is an event organized and paid for by the Sales & Marketing department and will continue.

e. How will this program affect the food and beverage offered to Members who decide not to purchase the All-Inclusive package?
We will continue to offer the same high quality standards and aim to offer even better value for members regardless of whether they participate in the Special All-Inclusive Package for Members or not.

f. Will guests have to wear wristbands?
There will have to be some form of fast and effective identification for those guests participating in the All-Inclusive program. Wristbands are an option.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow that's great, only $3600 for my family to eat food! Then we add the exchange and my MF of about $900 plus air of about $2000 and we have HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS KIDDIES!!! $6500 and that's without a car or spending a peso on anything else... Guess I'll be renting or heading to Florida more often.

A good reason to rent from an owner on TUG :)

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score

This clarifies the difference between posts 113 (NOT grandfathered in) and 124 (reservations before the announcement will be honored....but it doesn't say WHAT will be honored)

Bottom line: pre-existing reservations for rentals or exchanges will NOT have mandatory AI.

im still a little fuzzy on one thing, I know if you have an exchange already you are grandfathered in to the RH and sands but what if I make an exchange to the Royal Cancun in 2013 in the next few days? nothing is set in stone for the other 4 resorts in cancun as of yet? Are they saying things wont change till there is an exact week for those other 4 resorts? Maybe I can get in under the wire?

Last edited:

mtpdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I for one am confident that this will end up very positive for owners! So hold on to those negative thougts and get stoked! The Haciendas is a class act and will probably get even better. We love it! Now, what will the Dive Balam offer...?

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like others we were hearing about this during Week 10 and 11 at VCI so I was not surprised to see the email announcement when we got back.

It was clear to me that one of the driving forces behind this is that the developer feels that the market research is showing that not having any sort of AI option is a negative for the Royals and they are missing out on a lot of potential customers as a result. (From an SEO perspective it definitely is hurting their visibility when people research trips online.)

In other words they think that having AI options will bring in more renters and exchangers. We'll see if that proves true.

Obviously someone likes AI when you consider that new AI resorts appear in the hotel zone each year including the gigantic 4th RIU going up near Casa Maya down from VCI.

It also does create a situation where members have a clear privilege that a renter or exchange from off the street doesn't get and I know at least some owners who will actually like that.

-G

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confusing wording re exchanges

im still a little fuzzy on one thing, I know if you have an exchange already you are grandfathered in to the RH and sands but what if I make an exchange to the Royal Cancun in 2013 in the next few days? nothing is set in stone for the other 4 resorts in cancun as of yet? Are they saying things wont change till there is an exact week for those other 4 resorts? Maybe I can get in under the wire?

I'm fuzzy too. #18 only refers to RH and RS. And on re-reading it, the question in 18 refers to "prior to the commencement of the All-Inclusive program" - NOT to prior to the announcement. I think I misinterpreted that above.

The way it's worded (commencement vs announcement), it's more advantageous to exchangers.....

But again, no idea at all about TRC, RM, RC, and RI :confused:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
So this means i'm not going to be able to rent a week at a Royal Resort at lowball prices because of the AI Fees?

That doesn't sound good to me!

Yes, you CAN rent from an owner and not have the AI.....maybe not lowball, as we do like at least covering our MF and many weeks rent for above MF, but still less than a hotel!

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Current rate is about $1 = 12.7 pesos

MX$1100 = $86.63

Last edited:

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a bussines hotel, their spelling, so either downtown or near airport, probably no pool. Not the same as VCI.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It is a bussines hotel, their spelling, so either downtown or near airport, probably no pool. Not the same as VCI.
It's across from the ferry dock. You can click on "English" and see the whole website in English. It certainly is nothing like any of the Royal Resorts.