• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Title Insurance

birddog31

Reaction score
Is it needed? Do most people have them when buying a resale?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How much is the timeshare?

I would only buy it if I was buying an expensive (thousands of dollars) timeshare. Many sellers just offer it as a way to pad their profit.

For an inexpensive timeshare, you can do your own due diligence, get an estoppel letter from the management company, and use a reputable closing company, to protect your interest.

birddog31

Reaction score
Bought it for $2500. I asked if the deed was free and clear. They said yes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Bought it for $2500. I asked if the deed was free and clear. They said yes.

You need to ask for an estoppel letter from the management company - this documents exactly what you are buying. The seller or closing company will probably have to request it.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Most states make deeds available online. For a small fee anyone can download a copy. For me, it's worth the fee to make sure the deed matches the estoppel letter. As Denise said, not much value in title insurance unless the purchase price is high.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Title insurance is a waste of money for timeshares. I would only possibly consider it for a unit worth more than $10k.

Title insurance is not needed to protect you from receiving what you paid for. You are entitled to receive what you contracted to buy with or without title insurance.

Title insurance would protect from known or unknown liens or encumbrances, or the fact that someone else actually owned the timeshare. These are things that are probably unknown even to the resort management and HOA. In other words they transfer you the timeshare and then later you find out that you are not actually the legal owner.

For example, the timeshare was sold to another party before it was sold to you. A deed was prepared but it was not recorded. It is still a legal transfer even though the deed was not recorded. You cannot own the timeshare because it was sold to someone else first but the seller skipped town with the money.

Another example is if the seller borrowed money against the property but it was not known or publicly recorded. They could have had a contract with a private party for a loan. This would be an unknown encumbrance.

The chances of any of this happening with a timeshare is very unlikely. Most people do not want a timeshare. Someone would have to sue in court to claim they hold title or a lien on a timeshare that is in the name of someone else at the resort.

Most things covered by title insurance do not really apply to timeshares but they charge you for it anyway.

Last edited: