• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVR Sales tactics

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We will be staying at SVR here soon and it's the first time I am going to be using my deeded week as I bought it for $1 and have used it as a (successful) trader. I have apparently been given "VIP check in" and asked to report to the "Lakes Gallery." What is this "VIP check in?" This sounds like a sales presentation attempt. I've read on TUG that they are higher pressure at SVR. What are their tactics? What do they try during the week? Can I check in elsewhere to avoid having to deal with presentations the very first thing.

msmaier29

Reaction score
It's not a sales presentation. You get to bypass the normal lines at the front and they will have your welcome package ready along with some snacks. They will try to sign you up for the owners update - but you can easily decline this. They might also offer to highlight some of the events at the resort during the week or see if you need any concierge assistance. Pretty easy process and low pressure (the updates are a different matter altogether).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at SVR here soon and it's the first time I am going to be using my deeded week as I bought it for $1 and have used it as a (successful) trader. I have apparently been given "VIP check in" and asked to report to the "Lakes Gallery." What is this "VIP check in?" This sounds like a sales presentation attempt. I've read on TUG that they are higher pressure at SVR. What are their tactics? What do they try during the week? Can I check in elsewhere to avoid having to deal with presentations the very first thing.

All you have to do is say you are not interested in a presentation. Be firm and they'll leave you alone. Tell them you want your keys and nothing else.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not a sales presentation. You get to bypass the normal lines at the front and they will have your welcome package ready along with some snacks. They will try to sign you up for the owners update - but you can easily decline this. They might also offer to highlight some of the events at the resort during the week or see if you need any concierge assistance. Pretty easy process and low pressure (the updates are a different matter altogether).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't done this at SVR. The post above is what happens at SVV.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a check-in counter (2 counters I think) on the left for SVR owners, which is the VIP check-in line. The regular line usually has long queue.

You will see it when you get there. The VIP check in counter is like the carpool lane - fast to get through...

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
What are their most recent sales tactics? Do they try to call the room or even show up?? Do they try to catch up with you at the pool?

On the flip side, are they less pressure now???

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
What are their most recent sales tactics? Do they try to call the room or even show up?? Do they try to catch up with you at the pool?

On the flip side, are they less pressure now???
We were at SVR last month. They offered a choice of Starpoints or $75 Visa gift card to do the owner update. We put them off a couple times but curiosity overcame us and we went. We only got voice mail messages left on the villa phone. No one chased us down or harassed us, though we weren't there much during the day.

At the owner update, they were pushing the Flex program with the enticement of elite status, offering to convert our EOY-odd WKORV and EOY-even Flex to annual Flex so that we'd be 3 star elite, and participation in Interval would be a different methods of points instead of deposit. Once we said no, that was that. No hard sales push at all.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there several years ago and declined update until they tempted us with discounted park tickets, wich amounted to almost $300 in value. The update was not painful and they indicated that they could only sell Florida resorts (and maybe Cancun...not sure about this part). We enquired about WKV. We said no interest in Florida properties and it was a quick exit.