• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bigger room or Holiday dates better for rental

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I have a starwood timeshare that I'm interested in renting one of my 2016 weeks and probably depositing the other into II. The really prime rental dates were past when I bought it, but I was able to get the small side for winter holiday dates. The larger side is sold out for week 51/52 and thanksgiving.

I want to use 1 side of the lockoff for a trade, and my desired trade is available with either side.

Which side should I keep for rental do you think? The bigger side with lesser dates or the smaller side with holiday dates?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Since the profit over MFs is not that much (considering the rental hassle factor) - it probably doesn't matter that much (if time=$).
Just because they are 'sold out' doesn't necessarily mean they rent well - I would look at RedWeek prices (and interpret as necessary) and use the easiest one to rent at a FMV price.
good luck

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you are talking about Sheraton Desert Oasis, the only time frame that has significant rental demand is March - MLB Spring training.

But March is long gone, so I would probably try for a Spring Break date - weeks 5-14, or Easter week.

Christmas and New Years are not particularly strong dates in this area.

SDO doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and can't compete with the newer, mega-resorts in the area do, so to be quite honest with you, you should be happy to cover your maintenance fee.

TRAVEL DEMAND INDEX:

tdi-8.gif

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Denise's advice is good, but in this case the OP is asking about a 2016 week. I would suggest trying to rent out week 52 in the smaller unit. I don't think you'll get much more than mf, but that would probably be the best bet for what's left this year. If you can't rent it, you can always deposit it in Interval. I wouldn't wait until the last day of the year to do this, though.

Glorian

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise's advice is good, but in this case the OP is asking about a 2016 week.

Oops... missed the date - Glorian is correct.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Denise
where do you get those TRAVEL DEMAND INDEX charts?

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, this is for 2016, I reserved March for 2017 already. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money here, just trying to recoup something. I knew the 2016 wouldn't be very usable when I bought it, and I will do II for both if I can't get it rented. If i could recoup MF I'd be thrilled.

Any thoughts on the best places to advertise? Here and Redweek? I'm concerned about getting it rented more than getting the absolute last dollar, since time = money, as mentioned.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I use TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Reserved 2016 week of july2 at westin Kaanapali. Have not rented it ànd called about 4 weeks ago to see if I could exchange for 2017 week. Too late. Have never not rented and we couldn't go to Hawaii this year. So now I need to call and try to get something for 2016, hoping to get a St. John week in the fall. Bummer if can't get this

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks all, this is for 2016, I reserved March for 2017 already. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money here, just trying to recoup something. I knew the 2016 wouldn't be very usable when I bought it, and I will do II for both if I can't get it rented. If i could recoup MF I'd be thrilled.

Any thoughts on the best places to advertise? Here and Redweek? I'm concerned about getting it rented more than getting the absolute last dollar, since time = money, as mentioned.

Also - for Scottsdale - StayPC out of Park City Utah.
Also RedWeek - I no longer advertise with TUG or CraigsList as I have had no useful inquires from rentals listed there over the years.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I no longer advertise with TUG or CraigsList as I have had no useful inquires from rentals listed there over the years.

I've rented WSJ a total of 3 times -- and 2 of them were to people who found the ad on TUG.

Not doubting your experience; I'm just sharing another data point.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have rented a TUG add (out of many). Usually TUG renters want the deal of the lifetime and ask for different weeks.

Redweek and StayPC have worked for me. I have also rented through a couple of different FL outfits.

As always, YMMV.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserved 2016 week of july2 at westin Kaanapali. Have not rented it ànd called about 4 weeks ago to see if I could exchange for 2017 week. Too late. Have never not rented and we couldn't go to Hawaii this year. So now I need to call and try to get something for 2016, hoping to get a St. John week in the fall. Bummer if can't get this

Getting St John in the Fall should be doable if you are OK getting your plane tickets when you get your reservation at around 30 days out.

I think 2016 is booked but resies are often cancelled just before 30 days and then just a couple of days before check in.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have rented a TUG add (out of many). Usually TUG renters want the deal of the lifetime and ask for different weeks.

My experience as well - or want to exchange with their week.
I did get a TUG renter years ago, but for WKORV.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I rented my Hyatt week on TUG once. I always post my rentals here and Redweek. TUG is free - what do we have to lose?