• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bentley Brook or Smuggler's Notch for Spring Break?

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide where we're going for Spring Break next year. I try and always do a Ski area even though the ski season may be during our Spring Break depending on weather (last week of March).

Bentley Brook seems pretty straight forward. Smuggler's is a bit tough because there are so many options depending on what day I check in.

If Saturday checkin: I get 2 BR options for 126K or 140k points
If Sunday checkin: I get 2BR deluxe for 182K. I assume this is Tamarack, Aspen or Sycamore

We plan to ski/snowboard some days and explore the area, maybe drive to neighboring state on other days.

Suggestions?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Great choices!

We have done Smuggs for our spring break...though ours is later than yours, in April. Ski season is always over with by then, and things are very quiet. (Which is how we like it!) We have never had a problem finding things to do, though most will involve a drive. We have stayed in Tamaracks and Sycamores, and both are great. We've stayed in Balsams, too, which was nice...but I believe it has a Sunday checkin.

I've only been to Bentley Brook a couple of times. The units are smaller, but if memory serves, you're closer to civilization. There's a mall in Lanesboro, art museums close by that stay open year round and such.

That would be tough choice! Good luck deciding!

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! We did Carriage Hills (Canada) this year, and we were still able to ski the weekend that we checked in -- it was the last week!

Bentley Brook is also closer to Chicago compared to Vermont. I am worried that only the Taramack/Aspen/Sycamores are good units. Are they all good or is it a hit and miss?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We've liked them all!

Hmm...let's see...we've stayed in Oaks, Balsams, Mountain Laurel, Falcons, Sycamore, and Tamarack. Oaks was the smallest of those, but it was still nice enough, and was walking distance to the country store and other things in the village. We haven't had ANY bad units...but I'm sure there are some. Maybe we've just been lucky! We've never been there in high season...April break, or fall with my parents. But as I said, we've always found enough to do, and it is one of our family's favorite places to vacation.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Smuggs Aspens

We stayed in Aspens in June. We traded through RCI and had a two bedroom two bath. Aspens is at the top of the resort away from most things with an outdoor pool. Parking in the evening was limited and some had to park uphill away from the building. The roads at Smuggs are dirt. We found the unit itself to be dated but in pretty good condition. It was a corner unit with lots of light and a balcony that faced the road where the Smuggs transport van turned around. The layout was good, roomy and we had the main things we needed. However, the side upholstered chair had seen better days, was a bit tipsy and the cushion all but gone. Ants visited regularly on the sofa, side table and dining table. Aspens' hallways and elevator flooring were in deplorable shape. I found the hallway dark, the wallpaper from the 80's and overall, just wasn't impressed with Smuggs as seniors visiting offseason. Smuggs is isolated but the drive through the Notch is lovely. Not sure the Notch is open in April though.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Aspens in June. We traded through RCI and had a two bedroom two bath. Aspens is at the top of the resort away from most things with an outdoor pool. Parking in the evening was limited and some had to park uphill away from the building. The roads at Smuggs are dirt. We found the unit itself to be dated but in pretty good condition. It was a corner unit with lots of light and a balcony that faced the road where the Smuggs transport van turned around. The layout was good, roomy and we had the main things we needed. However, the side upholstered chair had seen better days, was a bit tipsy and the cushion all but gone. Ants visited regularly on the sofa, side table and dining table. Aspens' hallways and elevator flooring were in deplorable shape. I found the hallway dark, the wallpaper from the 80's and overall, just wasn't impressed with Smuggs as seniors visiting offseason. Smuggs is isolated but the drive through the Notch is lovely. Not sure the Notch is open in April though.

Oh no! Sounds like an old room. Hopefully we can request a renovated room if available. Smuggs seems to be popular both for winter and summer. For those that have been there, which season would you recommend is better for Smuggs?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Room & Season

We were told that there were certain units set aside for RCI trades, which we were. I believe we were in Unit 12 at Aspens. We also had very squeaky floors as did the unit above us. Fortunately, they left after a couple of days and no one took their place.

Lots of people adore Smuggs! I think it appeals according to one's history there, expectations and interests, as would the choice of season. Also whether or not one has children along and if they are going to participate in the many activities available to them at certain times of the year. We are no longer big outdoors types. We don't ski, hike, bike, kayak, etc. so other than riding long distances in the car to see things we didn't find a lot to do for us in the immediate area. Early June was still cool and rainy. We loved Burlington. Loved the museum at Shelburne. Loved Lake Champlain. Stowe not so much. Country stores and outdoor clothing shops are not our thing and we really didn't find any restaurants there that were very good. Burlington was a different story.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a family of 6. 4 Kids, 4, 7, 9 and 11.

We would do half and half. We alternate lazy days (sleep in late, pool, board games, sight seeing) and active days (ski, water park), etc.

For our summer trips, I prefer early June before most of the kids leave school - because I 80 is too hot for me.

I have heard that Smuggs is very popular. I own at Wyndham so I can book it thru Wyndham, but I've also seen it available via RCI.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smuggs

You would probably prefer a building that is closer to the activities than Aspens for your children. Aspens is at the top of the hill and pretty far away from the main village area.

Our second bedroom had a queen bed and two twins and a large closet The dining table was quite long and would accommodate a larger group for dining and games. The layout and storage was good.

Pros and cons as with most choices of this nature! Good luck with it! :)

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Snow conditions at Jiminy Peak for end of March are likely to be poor. I would def choose northern vermont/Smuggs instead, and that's without even talking about the activities/facilities/surrounding area, which are superior at Smuggs also. jmho...

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Decided to switch our trip to Michigan, since I did find a Spring Break week from RCI!

Thanks for all the replies!

One of these years, I will get to all these North East resorts!