• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update on YACHTSMAN Resort Myrtle Beach

Fatboy1

Reaction score
A few years ago(2013) I posted that the Yachtsman had issued a Special Assessment to the owners at $1640 over 3 years, but they came back for $481 more last year making it a total of $2121. Today i recieved another Special Assesment at a tune of $1731 due by Aug 1 2015... Now my question is has anyone seen any mis managemnet like this at other Timeshare resorts? They do have a buy back program at $1900.. And if anyone is interested i will give my deed to them !!

Thanks
Fatboy

I have been a owner at the Yachtsman for 20+ years, paid the maintance fees ontime each of the years. Today i recieved a bill from the Yachtsman for $722 this year and $654 next year (+MF) and $264 (+MF) in 2015 and its being called a SPECIAL ASSESMENT. Now first its the sticker shock with the fees that got me thinking if this has been done at other timeshares and is it legal? I was wondering if anyone has delt with this in the past? After looking around its not a option to walk away and today they are not interested in taking it back...So if anyone has any ideas i would like to hear from you.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
A few years ago(2013) I posted that the Yachtsman had issued a Special Assessment to the owners at $1640 over 3 years, but they came back for $481 more last year making it a total of $2121. Today i recieved another Special Assesment at a tune of $1731 due by Aug 1 2015...

As I understand the situation, they first renovated the North Tower and found more concrete damage than anticipated. Next the South Tower was to be renovated and they budgeted based on their experience with the North Tower.

IMO, owners should put heat on the Board to use the annual maintenance fees to properly fund reserves so they don't need these special assessments. Perhaps Gold Crown Management should be fired since they have had the management contract since 1992 and presided over the deterioration of the resort.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of years ago I exchanged into the Yachtsman as I was considering buying a Week there. I didn't like what I saw and instead spent something around $1,000 to buy a Week right on the beach at Peppertree by the Sea in North Myrtle Beach. Worked out great for me. It just proves that renting or exchanging before buying is the way to go.

George

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say I'm saddened by this as it was the first ts I ever bought in the 80,s. I sold it when I got a assessment. It served me well but I hate they are still having sa. I thought gold crown mgt was in control way back then.

NavyMom

Reaction score
My mother owns a unit at the Yachtsman and listed me as the second owner. She can longer afford it and I'm going to end up grabbing a life preserver and jumping onto what looks to be a sinking ship due to mismanagement over many year. I would like to see a copy of their financial statements. Does anyone know how we might be able to get a copy of them? I can't help but think that the Yachtsman is in breach of contract for failing to properly, and in a timely fashion, maintain the property. She got the same letter I believe many people have gotten about basically paying them $1900 to walk away from the timeshare, however, I found a site that listed numerous complaints to the Better business bureau about the Yachtsman and it seems have in some instances allowed owners to simply deed back the unit to the Yachtsman but apparently that option is not given to everyone. If anyone is interested, the site these complaints are on is http://www.bbb.org/myrtle-beach/bus...-resort-in-myrtle-beach-sc-8000406/complaints . I just do not understand how charging all of the additional fees all the time and then not properly maintaining the property doesn't put the Yachtsman in breach of their end of the contract with the owners. What am I missing???

Fatboy1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am still doing research on the internet and I have ran across the BBB deal and it does seem like they treat people different settlements. So I am still looking and debating the SA. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks Fats

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Owner's Website

My mother owns a unit at the Yachtsman and listed me as the second owner... I would like to see a copy of their financial statements. Does anyone know how we might be able to get a copy of them?

Since I'm not an owner, I don't know for sure, but I think it's likely that the past years' newsletters, budgets, meeting minutes, etc. are on the Yachtsman website behind the owners' firewall. Have them give you the owner Username and Password and go have a look. Good luck.

Fatboy1

Reaction score
Since I'm not an owner, I don't know for sure, but I think it's likely that the past years' newsletters, budgets, meeting minutes, etc. are on the Yachtsman website behind the owners' firewall. Have them give you the owner Username and Password and go have a look. Good luck.

Thanks for the response, I have gotten on the website and looked at the numbers and trying to get a hold of someone to see what the future holds. After doing these upgrades it seem like the Yachtsman should be in good shape for the future. But one thing i noticed in the minutes that the ownership is very old, not many younger owners and that in 2024 that some of the deeds are to EXPIRE?? So the minutes says they are to start discussing this in 2016-2017??

So if anyone has ever heard of this practice at other resorts please stop by and post there stories.. Thanks Fats

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
But one thing i noticed in the minutes that the ownership is very old, not many younger owners and that in 2024 that some of the deeds are to EXPIRE?? So the minutes says they are to start discussing this in 2016-2017??

So if anyone has ever heard of this practice at other resorts please stop by and post there stories.. Thanks Fats

You may want to ask someone at the Yachtsman if they are leasing the land the buildings are on. The land lease may be what is expiring in 2024.