Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Marriott Resort System

Marriott Resort System Discussion of Marriott Timeshare Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, and Marriott Destination Points memberships!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old April 15, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
bastroum
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 18, 10

Resorts: HGVC-Lagoon, GW; Marriott-DSV, DSV II, Ko Olina, MOC; Starwood-SDO, SVV; The Cove at Yarmouth
Key West Beachside Marriott

I am currently at this property which looks to be built for Timeshare Sales. It is run as a hotel. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Marriott ever tried to sell this property as a timeshare?
bastroum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
JanT
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Marriott Grand Chateau (1), Polo Towers, Hyatt Sunset Harbor & Beach House, SDO (1), Marriott KBC
The property originally was being sold as condos actually - at a premium. Marriott only sold a few before the economy tanked. So, they turned it into a hotel. To my knowledge they bought the owners out.
JanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 02:07 PM   #3
bastroum
TUG Member

Resorts: HGVC-Lagoon, GW; Marriott-DSV, DSV II, Ko Olina, MOC; Starwood-SDO, SVV; The Cove at Yarmouth
That makes sense. I have never seen Sub Zero refrigerators in a timeshare before. Thanks for the info.
Old April 15, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
enma
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 4, 09

Resorts: Marriott EY Platinum weeks X3, Platinum EOY X1, Gold X1
Bastroum,

We will be there in August, just one night in a 3 bedroom unit. How do you like it there? You really have to pay for parking, read at on Marriott website? How is the beach?
enma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 03:23 PM   #5
bdh
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 12, 06
At the time of original construction, the property was developed as an independent timeshare/condo - since its location on the island is not the greatest, units didn't sell too well. Then Marriott "acquired" the property and the Marriott flag was raised - not sure if Marriott actually bought the property or just manages it. While it is run as a hotel, private individuals do own various units on the property - expect some use them as 2nd homes while others let Marriott rent them out on a nightly basis. I know there where multiple units for sale for a couple of years ago - a little pricey, but they are wonderful units. If the property was in Old Town, they be priced significantly higher. Once the convention center gets built across the street from Beachside, the location will work great for those going to KW for a convention.
bdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
JanT
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Marriott Grand Chateau (1), Polo Towers, Hyatt Sunset Harbor & Beach House, SDO (1), Marriott KBC
BDH,

You are right - Marriott did not own the original property and weren't the ones who sold units. I stated that incorrectly in my post.

Marriott acquired the property when the economy tanked and turned it into a hotel. I thought they bought out the original owners of any units but it sounds like that isn't the case.

It's a great property and we plan to stay there at some point in the future. We love Key West.
JanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 05:02 PM   #7
suzannesimon

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 3, 10

Resorts: Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Week 51 (2) Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Week 13 Harborside at Atlantis Gold 3BR Marriott's Aruba
We stayed there one night in a studio as an add-on to my Hyatt timeshare. We loved it and they have a free shuttle to Duval. Took a peek at the rest of the lock off and it was beautiful. The pool was fantastic and a nice little beach as well.
suzannesimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012, 07:47 PM   #8
bastroum
TUG Member

The 1 bedroom units are wonderful. We have a beatiful Ocean Front View. The beach isn't really a beach, just sand that runs up to a concrete wall that doesn't allow you to go into the water. The pool area is slightly better than a typical timeshare. The bar & restaurant at the pool is above average. The shuttle to Duval St is great. Without the shuttle I would not stay at the property. Yes, they do charge for parking.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:39 AM   #9
IslandTime
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 20, 11

Resorts: Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We stayed there for one night in October last year, before we checked into our B&B in old town. It was a last minute trip to Key West and we were only able to get a couple nights at our B&B. We had planned to spend that first night in south Florida, but weren't tired and just kept driving until we got to Key West. I found a great deal online for Marriott Beachside and we showed up around 11:30 p.m. without a reservation. They did not charge us for parking. I don't know if it was an oversight or because we arrived late and only stayed one night. Either way, it was a pleasant surprise. I loved the resort and would happily stay there again, but only for a short stay or to add on a night or two in addition to a longer vacation in old town. The ONLY thing I could find fault with is the location -- it's not in old town and that's where we prefer to be.

I don't know of any other resort in new town that charges for parking, though, so I'm not sure why they do there.
IslandTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012, 10:54 AM   #10
puckmanfl
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 11, 10

Resorts: Marriott Grande Vista Marriott Waiohai Marriott Ko Olina
good morning...

Why would they not make this place an MVCD resort and place it in the trust???? A nice bone to throw for Trust purchasers!!!!

Can't you just see it for the sales people... The only way to get to Key west is the purchase of new Trust points...
puckmanfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012, 11:35 AM   #11
SueDonJ

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 26, 06

Resorts: Marriott Vacation Club: Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckmanfl View Post
good morning...

Why would they not make this place an MVCD resort and place it in the trust???? A nice bone to throw for Trust purchasers!!!!

Can't you just see it for the sales people... The only way to get to Key west is the purchase of new Trust points...
With the timeshares split off, wouldn't MVW have to acquire it before it can be put in the Trust?
Old April 17, 2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Superchief

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 6, 09

Resorts: Royal Palms, Ocean Pointe, Oceana Palms, Newport Coast, Mountainside/ Canyon Villas (EOY), Preffered Plus
I stayed here last spring in a 1 bedroom villa and agree that it is nicer than many MVC timeshares. At the time, Platinum MR members received complimentary daily full buffet breakfast and parking was free.Since Marriott corporate put pressure on overperforming hotels regarding breakfast benefits in December, they have downgraded this benefit to only cover continental breakfast on week nights.

The bar had a great happy hour a few nights per week (including 2 for 1 premium wine by the glass), and I found the restaurant to be excellent. I actually preferred the location away from Duval because it was more quiet and relaxing. There is also complimentary shuttle service to the airport, so I only rented a car a few days for grocery shopping and sightseeing on other islands.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote