Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Disney Vacation Club - DVC
Log into the TUG BBS:

Disney Vacation Club - DVC Sub-forum for topics specifically regarding the Disney Vacation Club system (DVC)

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

 
Forum Jump


Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Dsauer
Guest
 
BBS Reg. Date: Dec 22, 11
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 24

Resorts: DVC: OKW, BCV Starwood: WKORV, WKORVN, Desert Willow, Lagunamar
New DVC Resort

On his podcast today, Ricky Briganti stated that plans have been filed in Florida for a new DVC resort in Fort Wilderness in Disney World. Rumors have been afoot about such a resort near the now closed River Country water park. With ground barely broken on the Grand Floridian DVC, do not expect a Disney formal announcement soon.
Dsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Skittles1
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 30, 11
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 148

Resorts: Port O' Call Resort, HHI
I'm still hoping for a DVC resort in the future at the Polynesian...
Skittles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
bnoble
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Nov 14, 06
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Posts: 5,074
Here are some of the details that were filed in permit applications:

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/04/...truction-soon/
bnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
icydog
 
icydog's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 3,258

Resorts: Disney's Old Key West, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Marriott's Monarch, Grande Vista, Surf Watch, Manor Club and Lakeshor
Another non monorail resort? WHY? Remember when DVC was Disney's Best Kept Secret?


Now DVC is getting to be like a Walt Disney World Levitttown.

Disney--- Please build less quantity and more quality!!!
__________________
"One day youíll look to see Iíve gone,
For tomorrow may rain, so Iíll follow the sun"

Last edited by icydog; April 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I tried to add a picture of Levittown but Safari wouldn't let me!
icydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
slum808
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Aug 31, 11
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 873

Resorts: DVC VGC, WorldMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
Another non monorail resort? WHY? Remember when DVC was Disney's Best Kept Secret?


Now DVC is getting to be like a Walt Disney World Levitttown.

Disney--- Please build less quantity and more quality!!!
Disney knows that the market is shifting. The gap between the, and I don't mean this in a bad way, have and have not's are widening. For those that want and can afford the luxuries they have the GF. But they can not ignore the large segment who can not afford the GF. We've heard rumers of a "value" resort, and this may just be it.

Last edited by Bill4728; April 10, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
slum808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Twinkstarr
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 07
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,269

Resorts: Disney Saratoga Springs, Disney Vero Beach, Starwood Lakeside Terrace (Ski Wk.), Boyne Mtn, Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Quote:
Originally Posted by slum808 View Post
Disney knows that the market is shifting. The gap between the, and I don't mean this in a bad way, have and have not's are widening. For those that want and can afford the luxuries they have the GF. But they can not ignore the large segment who can not afford the GF. We've heard rumers of a "value" resort, and this may just be it.
From the original plans I saw a few years ago, this is not going to be a value DVC. The building was along the lines of Wilderness Lodge.

I think the biggest thing is the DVC'ers vs Campers. The Campers have been known to sneak into the pool at WL, Campers think DVC'ers are snobs. The FW subthread on the DIS boards was a hoot.

A few years ago we rode the bus from FW after Hoop De Doo Revies back to Downtown Disney. It was a rather fragrant ride back to DTD.
Twinkstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
spencersmama
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Sep 1, 11
Location: Florida
Posts: 547

Resorts: WKORV-N, DVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkstarr View Post
DVC'ers vs Campers
Won't this just bring them closer, proximity-wise, not harmony-wise.
spencersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Twinkstarr
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 07
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,269

Resorts: Disney Saratoga Springs, Disney Vero Beach, Starwood Lakeside Terrace (Ski Wk.), Boyne Mtn, Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencersmama View Post
Won't this just bring them closer, proximity-wise, not harmony-wise.
One of our first DVC stays was at VWL and DH read all the "campers invading the pool area" stories and was ready to call up and change resorts. It was fine.

I haven't checked out the "campers" yet, but the DVC'ers are arguing over it might be "pet friendly" and some slight nose turning up.

I'm with Icydog on this location, not a big fan.
Twinkstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012, 10:40 PM   #9
glypnirsgirl
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Oct 7, 07
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,715
I camped at Fort Wilderness in 1990 - we were going with another family that wanted to camp.

We are tent-campers, for the most part. We have owned an RV and loved it, but did not consider it camping.

So, we drive to Florida instead of flying so that we can camp. I had loaded the station wagon with all of our gear. Tents, pavilion, camp stove, coolers, etc.

We check in and set up camp, a few hours later, our friends arrive in their rented RV!!!

We checking into the Hampton Suites, 3 days later because of torrential rains.

And we still had fun.

I haven't been back over there since. More power to anyone that wants to camp or to buy over there. I can say with some certainty, it won't be me.

elaine
__________________
You might as well dance, you never know when the music will stop!!
glypnirsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Twinkstarr
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 07
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,269

Resorts: Disney Saratoga Springs, Disney Vero Beach, Starwood Lakeside Terrace (Ski Wk.), Boyne Mtn, Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Quote:
Originally Posted by glypnirsgirl View Post
I camped at Fort Wilderness in 1990 - we were going with another family that wanted to camp.

We are tent-campers, for the most part. We have owned an RV and loved it, but did not consider it camping.

So, we drive to Florida instead of flying so that we can camp. I had loaded the station wagon with all of our gear. Tents, pavilion, camp stove, coolers, etc.

We check in and set up camp, a few hours later, our friends arrive in their rented RV!!!

We checking into the Hampton Suites, 3 days later because of torrential rains.

And we still had fun.

I haven't been back over there since. More power to anyone that wants to camp or to buy over there. I can say with some certainty, it won't be me.

elaine
Well it seems to be a few over at the DIS boards, who have fond memories of tent camping at FW(must have missed the 3 days of torrential rain ) and find the idea of GF too stuffy.

They are also hoping for some part of the old River Country water park to be included. I don't think that is going to happen as the water for that came from Bay Lake.
Twinkstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 06:40 AM   #11
vacationhopeful
 
vacationhopeful's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 07
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 7,424

Resorts: Club Wyndham Plus; Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort; RCI Points; Shell Vacation Club
While at Disney for a week in January, ran into several different groups of persons who were "camping" in large RVs there. Retired folk who wintered there for months and made NO BONES about bragging how cheap the fees were and what a "get-over" on the Disney hotel/DVC prices Fort Wilderness was. I thought I had read that there were LIMITS on the number of nights - but none of the 3 couples over those 2 nights had any problems nor did they have to MOVE campsites. I seem to recall it being about $40 night.

There were no mention of "blackout" dates or time limits. There might have been some "club" mention.

Again, this was hearsy at Epcot before the fireworks shows. But when I was talking to the 2nd group, I figured there was more truth than fiction. The 3rd set of campers, said they had been their 2 weeks and had another 6 weeks booked.
__________________
Linda
vacationhopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Twinkstarr
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 07
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,269

Resorts: Disney Saratoga Springs, Disney Vero Beach, Starwood Lakeside Terrace (Ski Wk.), Boyne Mtn, Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationhopeful View Post
While at Disney for a week in January, ran into several different groups of persons who were "camping" in large RVs there. Retired folk who wintered there for months and made NO BONES about bragging how cheap the fees were and what a "get-over" on the Disney hotel/DVC prices Fort Wilderness was. I thought I had read that there were LIMITS on the number of nights - but none of the 3 couples over those 2 nights had any problems nor did they have to MOVE campsites. I seem to recall it being about $40 night.

There were no mention of "blackout" dates or time limits. There might have been some "club" mention.

Again, this was hearsy at Epcot before the fireworks shows. But when I was talking to the 2nd group, I figured there was more truth than fiction. The 3rd set of campers, said they had been their 2 weeks and had another 6 weeks booked.
I don't think there is a limit on the number of nights you can book a campsite, even for RV's. From reading over the years on the DIS boards, there are plenty of people who snowbird for the whole season at FW.

And FW rates are very reasonable.

From looking at the drawings for the FW DVC, it looks like it will be right on the lake. So there will probably be a few booking categories for rooms. The non-lake views will be cheaper and hence book right up at the 11 month window.
Twinkstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13
elaine
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05
Location: DC
Posts: 2,309

Resorts: Waterside (HHI), DVC
count me in!

We stayed at AKV last week and went over to FtW to roast hotdogs and marshmellows and sing with Chip/Dale--sort of 2 ends of the spectrum. I am one of those who frequented FtW in an RV as a kid. My kids love Ft W (they have fished, rollerbladed, biked, rode horses, and had archery lessons). We would stay at a FtW DVC in a heartbeat.
Also, I think since FtW now has a better pool with a twister slide and water play area, there might be less campers coming over to Wilderness lodge.
Hmmm... I am also going to have to think about buying a cheap RV just to winter at FtW when I retire. Elaine
elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #14
stanleyu
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jan 19, 08
Location: seabeck, wa
Posts: 147
I don't know if I would call $65-70 per night for a RV with hookups very reasonable. And that's in non-prime time. You can get a 20% discount for AAA, but only in the lesser-busy times. Holidays and prime times are much higher. I also heard (but can't confirm) that monthly discounts are no longer offered.
stanleyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 03:36 PM   #15
spencersmama
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Sep 1, 11
Location: Florida
Posts: 547

Resorts: WKORV-N, DVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationhopeful View Post
While at Disney for a week in January, ran into several different groups of persons who were "camping" in large RVs there. Retired folk who wintered there for months and made NO BONES about bragging how cheap the fees were and what a "get-over" on the Disney hotel/DVC prices Fort Wilderness was. I thought I had read that there were LIMITS on the number of nights - but none of the 3 couples over those 2 nights had any problems nor did they have to MOVE campsites. I seem to recall it being about $40 night.
I just tried to "book" the campsite for various 6 week periods. It seems that the campsites are $45- $65 for tent sites, and the cheapest hook-up sites range from $65-95 a night. I have stayed there twice, once with the cub scouts and once with the girl scouts. Camping is my personal form of torture. I did it for my kids, but I really hate it. I would much rather use the money toward a hotel room with air conditioning and someone to make my bed! I do like the overall feel of the Ft Wilderness area, though.

I am a little confused about the rumors of the DVC site. Will it be a typical DVC set-up, or some sort of long term camping sites? I assumed since it was DVC it would be the traditional set-up, but some of the comments I read have led me to believe it may be different.
spencersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 06:11 PM   #16
elaine
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05
Location: DC
Posts: 2,309

Resorts: Waterside (HHI), DVC
rumors of plans say access is via a road by Wilderness Lodge. My 100% guess is that they will tie it into VWL and make it a sequel--sort of like Treehouse Villas was tied to SSR. VWL is very popular and very small--so, I imagine some "marketeer" has designed a good sell. We'll see in a few years!
elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Twinkstarr
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 12, 07
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,269

Resorts: Disney Saratoga Springs, Disney Vero Beach, Starwood Lakeside Terrace (Ski Wk.), Boyne Mtn, Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Rumor has the new DVC to be 5 floors. From the plans that I saw from a few years ago, it was laid out kind of like Kidani

Last edited by Twinkstarr; April 11, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Twinkstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012, 08:13 AM   #18
chalee94
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jan 3, 09
Location: NC
Posts: 612

Resorts: DVC-OKW; Lake Lure
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine View Post
rumors of plans say access is via a road by Wilderness Lodge. My 100% guess is that they will tie it into VWL and make it a sequel--sort of like Treehouse Villas was tied to SSR.
SSR and treehouse contracts both expire in 2054. VWL expires in 2042. a new resort with less than 30 years on the RTU won't sell that well... we'll see how they handle it...
__________________
-Charles
chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012, 01:21 PM   #19
icydog
 
icydog's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 3,258

Resorts: Disney's Old Key West, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Marriott's Monarch, Grande Vista, Surf Watch, Manor Club and Lakeshor
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
SSR and treehouse contracts both expire in 2054. VWL expires in 2042. a new resort with less than 30 years on the RTU won't sell that well... we'll see how they handle it...
A new DVC resort over there will have to have an extended contract date. Otherwise on one would buy it. The whole concept smacks of Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort with five story buildings and outside hallways.
__________________
"One day youíll look to see Iíve gone,
For tomorrow may rain, so Iíll follow the sun"
icydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
BBS Software Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Editorial Content Copyright ©1993 - 2014, Timeshare Users Group
Customized for TUG by Makai Guy.