• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FF tix to Hawaii

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning ahead like a good Tugger. Five of us will be traveling SFO/Kona at a very busy time (12/23/06). I have a ton of miles with American Express that I can transfer into a number of airlines, including Hawaiian Airlines. I called Hawaiian Airlines today and the agent told me they usually have 7 FF tix for each flight. Does that sound right? I also asked if having the Hawaiian Airlines credit card increases FF availability, and she said no. However, I think I read on flyertalk that it does. Does anyone know? Thanks.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
do not transfer points until you have reservations

AA will let you make reservation without the points in your account. I know you can make HA thru AA reservations. I think you are going to have trouble for 12/23. I am betting that they will be blacked out and you will have to use double points.
But start trying at midnight 331 days ahead where headquarters of airline is--dallas, LA, hawaii, etc. (so it might be 3 am your time). (Ex. I called 1 am east coast for midnight at dallas). Try every night for a few days, if you get to the 325 window, then they are going to be blacked out.
HA has less black-outs than other airlines, so you might snag some--just realize a couple 100 others are trying for the same--and if they give you ANY alternatives--take them and put on hold--you can always cancel if you get better. Last year, I put a MAui flight for 5 on hold, as my "safety" and had no plans to use it---well, we wound up flying to maui and taking interisland to big island--and I was glad I had kept it!

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Hawaiian does not fly direct from the mainland to KOA. I know Delta does, you might try them. I think Hawaiian only flys direct to HNL and Maui from the mainland. Speaking from experiance, it is very difficult to book thru a partner with Hawaiian, especially during a peak time like Christmas.

Gayle

JanB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
United also flys direct to Kona. We've taken direct flights from San Francisco. Family have gone direct from LAX.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look for an airline that has just added new flights to Hawaii. If you get in on those early, that is often a good way to find ff tickets. I know that Delta started a couple of new flights there, but they were announced a month or so ago, so prospects there may already have dimmed.

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't mind stopping in Honolulu if it saves me $2500.
My experience with United getting FF tix from SFO to Orlando was so difficult, even calling all night as day 331 dawned, I don't expect any better results going to Hawaii.
My greatest cache of miles is in American Express, which only has certain partners in the direct miles transfer program. There is a new option that involves making the reservation via American Express travel and paying for any airline travel with miles, but the formula relating number of miles and cost of ticket is unclear to me.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that American Express bought you tickets when you wanted to redeem your points for flights rather than converting Amex points into FF points?....Not true?

I believe that Diner's Club is going to that system; you reedem your points with them and they buy you a ticket...at a rate of $1.25 per 100 points. So 20,000 Diners Club points will get you an airline ticket up to $250 in value.

I thought that's the way the Amex system worked too...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have gotten award tix from Hawaiian Air 3 times with AMEX points, and all 3 times we transferred the points to HA, waited until they showed up in our HA acct., (3 - 10 days) and reserved the award seats on HA's website.

We have found that Starwood is fast about transferring the points, but HA is slow to put them in your Acct. Although the last time, I think we only had a 3 day turn around.

20K AMEX points converts to 25K airline points when you transfer from AMEX to HA, and most other domestic airlines.

An HA award ticket from the west coast to Hawaii is 35K, regardless of what island you are flying to, as long as you book it straight thru.

Last edited:

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, Do you have a HA credit card or any preferred status with HA that helped you get your tickets? My fear is that I will transfer 175K miles to HA and then not be able to get my desired dates for travel. The miles may be sitting in HA for years before I go to Hawaii again. But if I don't transfer the miles ahead of time, I would be calling 331 days out for my first leg, asking them to hold the reservation, calling 7 days later for the return leg, and then asking them to hold the whole reservation while the mileage transfer process takes place. Seems logistically implausible.

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
GeorgeJ, Amex seems to offer both options, direct mileage transfer into preferred airlines, and a purchase of tickets using miles on any airline. I couldn't figure out the conversion factor to see which system was more miles-effective. If Amex uses the same conversion you provided, a $500 ticket to Hawaii would cost 40,000 miles, only 5K extra, not a bad premium if I could succeed in ticketing the high demand dates I need for $500 on an airline that flies nonstop. Thanks for that info.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
calgal said:
Denise, Do you have a HA credit card that helped you get your tickets?

I sure do!

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will apply for a HA credit card tomorrow, I think that may be helpful in reserving the FF seats.