• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does a timeshare save me money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If you are a lazy cook, you can find pre-prepared BBQ meat in either their mini-shop or the super market near by and save you a lot of work. Most of those TS have good view. Have a sip of wine, watch the sunset by the beach front while waiting for your grill. It is even better sitting at a resturant, unless you want people serve you :D

Wine? On Maui and Kauai? I am an umbrella drink girl.:D We actually buy the pre-mixed mai tai cocktail at Costco (Vic Trader or something like that), several bottles for two weeks, and we love to enjoy those on the lanai, every evening. We usually don't buy drinks at the restaurants, because they are so expensive. I would like to make pina coladas in the unit, too, but I think it would require more work and more ingedients. I never drink anything at home, just Hawaii. ;)

By the way, renting a timeshare you own is very difficult, I should know. I have had an oceanfront unit (details left out on purpose, so I am not advertising) for rent and haven't gotten a single serious inquiry. It's tough to rent a timeshare, no matter the location or the time of year. You can get a bargain on a week, if you look around. My point: don't buy with the intention of renting most of the time.

This is why we won't ever buy in Orlando, because it's too cheap to rent or exchange into the best resorts there.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll shoot you a PM when I'm ready to start that thread or participate. Thanks for being willing. It's refreshing to participate in a thread in a forum where it's not hijacked or thread cr@pping isn't taking place.

You are my kind of OP! I appreciate you taking the time to read all our responses and keep things on track. :)

I would like to engage in a good discussion as you describe. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of old threads on similar topics. It would be great to have something more current and focused, which identifies, debates and rates the best overall cost/values per brand and best strategies for making this work. I know which strategies work best for me right now. It would be great to learn some new ones too, especially from the perspective of trying to minimize cost and maximize value while playing the timeshare trading game.

It is difficult to show how owning a timeshare in Vegas or Orlando saves you money as these locations are overbuilt and easy to trade into. Getting a bonus week or cheap getaway in either location is relatively easy many weeks of the year. So too is finding an even cheaper hotel room in Vegas. It is also difficult to show extreme savings owning in Hawaii as this location is expensive to purchase and maintain. For me, the key to savings is how you balance what you own with what you end up exchanging into. It also varies greatly based on where you live, assuming cost of airfare is a major factor limiting where & when you want to go. You do not want to own & stay on either extreme IMHO for achieving the kind of cost savings I assume the OP is looking for. Please no offense to other Tuggers, I am saying savings when compared to a Priceline bid on a cheap hotel room. I love the luxury and space of timeshares, but in this thread location for the stay and overall cost are what matters most. To achieve this level of savings, I cannot even think of actually staying once where I own, ah-hah! It violates the common sense TUG recommendation of buy where you want to stay. As far as I know, most timeshares I would choose with this time tested TUG rule have MFs that exceed the best Priceline hotel room bid. So, to compete against that price, I must play the lockoff splitting, cheap trading, instant upgrading, deal timing, promotion snagging, flexible search lollygagging and patient waiting game. :cool:

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny cuz people hear "shifty" and they think something devious, like a slight of hand trickster or something. Actually it's a tribute to a great American soldier who was served in Easy Company, featured in the tv series Band of Brothers. His name was/is Shifty Powers. I always found him inspiring because of his humility, yet being the most accurate marksman in the company. I used to play a lot of FPS games.

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone recommend a good rental site that you'd go to after perusing TUG? Just for comparison sakes?

Thanks!

Wouldn't we all??:hysterical:

(not trying to be sarcastic here, so please don't take offense, just a gut reaction :))

If someone has a "magic" post to answer this question, they'd be everyone's hero!! You probably need to read multiple threads to try and ascertain the answers for yourself as well as continue to do research. People give great advice here, but I doubt anyone has that perfect knowledge of a specific awesome TS that would accomplish these goals, or is willing to give the info. away...(If they do, please PM me, as I'd love to know and be able to purchase the perfect renter/trader as well!!:D ) There are even threads that allude to people finding awesome traders with low MF's, but that they keep it quiet so that it doesn't become well known and lose it's "magic power."

Just remember, trade power fluctuates and changes over time, as do MF's, so what is good today may become a noose around one's neck tomorrow. Therein lies the constant and consistent advice to "buy where you are happy to go"

So take some time, investigate the things that look promising to you and your lifestyle, ask more questions about those specific things to get more detailed advice, and check out sites for rentals, resales, etc. I do think the advice about trying out a couple places via renting is a good way to see if you like the general idea of TS'ing, and then can make more informed decisions.

Actually, starting this thread has made for very interesting reading!:clap: :clap: But why the moniker "shifty??" Inquiring minds want to know...

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Two thoughts:

1. I thought there were TS's where you could exchange internally and pay no extra fee? Or is that just when you exchange to a different week at the same resort?

2. If I take your advice then I have to find a great timeshare far enough away from Boston where I actually feel far away on vacation and it's great trading power. How in the world do I find out what is good for trading other than taking the plunge, buying and seeing if it can trade or rent? Seems like a crapshoot.

I am not sure that TS exists, and certainly not for $300 a year in maintenance fees. I don't mean to discourage you, but a TS is a long-term financial commitment, and if you feel like it may be a financial burden, you shouldn't buy right now. The rental market is really soft because of the economy, and I would not buy with the idea that I could always fall back on a rental. If you aren't 100% sure you can cover the MF every year, then I wouldn't buy.

Also - exchanging doesn't really help you if the budget is tight, because it adds extra costs to your ownership. For instance an Interval International membership is $89 a year and an exchange costs about $150, so you have just added $239 to your cost for one year! That's why we recommend buying a resort that you would enjoy using, within driving distance of your home.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahh, now there are some good tips in this post. Thank you John!

1. San Luis Bay Inn, Avila Beach, California - IBR, 2BA Imperial unit - red all year. Can reserve any week.

2. Gaslamp Plaza Suites, Downtown San Diego, California - Mini Upper Suite ( studio but trades as 1 BR ), occupancy 4 - red all year. Can reserve any week.

Both resorts are Gold Crown and are dual affiliated with RCI/II

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek.com is very popular and a lot of Tuggers go there too. Great place to sell or rent and get reviews from also. Same $15 joining fee for the year.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone recommend a good rental site that you'd go to after perusing TUG? Just for comparison sakes?

Thanks!

My favorite is MyResortNetwork. Here is a link to them:

http://www.myresortnetwork.com/

I have used them for both renting a timeshare week and selling. I use several different sites but this one has consistently been the best by far.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to dwell on this post. It seems thoughtfu and quite honestly I don't initially follow your reasoning. WIll get bakc to you.
Buying into Points for trading is a reasonable approach to owning timeshare. It assumes use of multiple resorts in different locations. It is "buying to use" as the system is set up to do exactly what you hope to accomplish. Where the home base resort is located doesn't mean much except as it relates to control (you may still want an owner controlled resort so you hold voting rights and thus at least some say in ongoing costs) and the potential that if all else fell apart you could hold use rights to that resort as your last sliver of value. For those reasons having a resort you like & wouldn't mind using if needed is a factor to consider even with a points system purchase.

Buying a week with the plan to use it as trade the majority of the time is a big mistake IMO. Weeks are best purchased when you want to return to an area/resort nearly every use period AND it would be tough to impossible to get the exact use time/unit/size/view whatever you prefer unless you actually own it. With a week like that IF you occasionally have to trade it should have good value but buying only to trade remains a bad decision as the value could change overnight (and over time usually does). Week for week trades are tough to predict, tend to be downward on average and costly. Not a good way to be a satisfied timeshare owner.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the best resort at the best week, but I don't think I'm that picky yet. Most resorts which aren't the best of the best are better than a hotel. And with a DW who stays at home, the best time isn't always a requirement. Again remember, a 4 star resort in a city/area we want to sightsee is fine with us. If we can get a 5 star, great, but not a requirement. More just getting something where we want to go. And we'll probably make a list like the some folks recommended and then just see which on the list we can visit each year.
Theo was probably referring to a Las Vegas week timeshare, not points. All "red" weeks have different trading power, and if you deposit one red week it does not mean you can get all other red weeks.

Same goes for points. If you have "X" number of RCI points, and the place you want to go also requires "X" number of point to book, it does not mean you can reserve it. There may simply be no availability during the time you want to go. I would say, best times at best resorts are never available for reservation, regardless of how many points you have.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have been a member of Redweek.com since it first began but it doesn't compare to MyResortNetwork which is free.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honey! Pull out the grill. I'm stopping at the butcher's on the way home!

We did a couple times of grilling while we were in Hawaii. We stayed in either Marriott or Westin's TS. Both of them have good BBQ facilities. If you are a lazy cook, you can find pre-prepared BBQ meat in either their mini-shop or the super market near by and save you a lot of work. Most of those TS have good view. Have a sip of wine, watch the sunset by the beach front while waiting for your grill. It is even better sitting at a resturant, unless you want people serve you :D (My kids enjoyed playing in the pool at that time)

Grilling tips:
1. If you don't like the pre-prepared BBQ meat, you can find some local special grilling source. They are available in the grocery store. We put the spicy pineapple source on Tuna or Mahi Mahi

2. In hawaill, you can grill some sweet potatos (purple one is the best).

3. Salad. Buy some greens and add some local fruit in it. Also some local dressing.

Now you have a yummy dinner :)

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
It did include taxes and fees. I made sure of it. Didn't inlcude mini bar or fridge use, but did include parking and wifi and pool and breakfast buffet.

As for 6 vs 7, for us it was arrive on Sunday, leave on Sunday. 6 nights, 7 days.

Did that $264 for 6 nights include any sales tax, or other fees? A full week is 7 nights so if you had 7 nights so wouldn't that be $308 for a full timeshare week not including any sales tax, or other fees that were paid?

Bruce :D

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
1. I thought there were TS's where you could exchange internally and pay no extra fee? Or is that just when you exchange to a different week at the same resort?
There are a few "mini-systems" that have less expensive and/or prioritized trading privileges for within the system. HGVC, Club Intrawest, Worldmark, Marriott, Hyatt, to name a few.

For example, HGVC (Hilton's timeshares) is a point-based mini-system that allows owners to reserve any number of days (min of 3, usually) at any of their resorts in any sized accomodation. It is a $49 charge per reservation, no matter the number of days. I really like it because we don't have to stay the traditional 7 days, and that matches our vacation preferences well.

But if your main goal is to save money over a hotel, HGVC is definitely not a good fit. You definitely pay more for the flexibility and luxury level.

Kurt

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It did include taxes and fees. I made sure of it. Didn't inlcude mini bar or fridge use, but did include parking and wifi and pool and breakfast buffet.

As for 6 vs 7, for us it was arrive on Sunday, leave on Sunday. 6 nights, 7 days.

Not to be picky but Sunday to Sunday is 7 nights not 6!!!!

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the best resort at the best week, but I don't think I'm that picky yet. Most resorts which aren't the best of the best are better than a hotel.

Don't assume that timeshares are better than hotels. It all depends on your preferences, location, etc. The average timeshare is basically just a condo and does not have the amenities of a good 4* Hotel. Most people here make the mistake of comparing a timeshare with budget hotels.

If you want a place with housekeeping, restaurant(s), room service, good furniture and bedding, elegance, etc. then a good upscale hotel is much better. If you must have a full kitchen, then a timeshare is better.

We far prefer upscale hotels because we want the service that goes with them. We like being pampered. Getting a suite upgrade is very easy. We have stayed in many upscale hotel suites that were as large or larger than many timeshare units.

Many of the Mexican timeshares do offer the luxury and services of upscale hotel resorts. The Grand Mayans are the equivalent of a luxury 5* resort with twice daily housekeeping, lots of on-site restaurants, room service, etc., etc. We have stayed at the Grand Mayans several times and they are awesome. However, I would never buy a timeshare in Mexico.

Destination is very important in choosing between a timeshare or hotel. There are many locations where a timeshare is the only viable option and there are other locations where a hotel is.

When we were in New York last time, we stayed a week at the Manhattan Club and 5 days a the Michelangelo 4* hotel. Both are in mid-Manhattan. There is no comparison between the two. We got an automatic free upgrade to a suite at the Michelangelo. There is no comparison between them. The Michelangelo is far better with more room, more elegant, comfortable furniture, better service, etc. We are going back to New York this August and will be staying at the Michelangelo again and 1 week at the HGVC West 57th Street timeshare.

My point is that one cannot make blanket statements about which is best. There are many factors involved. For us timesharing is not what we want now. However it may suit you. You have to evaluate where you want to vacation and what your preferences are.

Remember one very important thing. When you buy a timeshare, you are stuck with it and will be obligated to pay the M/F's, special assessments, etc. Timeshares are not easy to get rid of, especially if it is not an upper tier one. They are not easy to rent despite what some may say. It may be right for you but think long and hard about it. The deals are always going to be there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hmmm. Two thoughts:

There are a few, but for the most part, they are going to have a very limited number of resorts, or they are going to be outside the price range you are looking for.

2. If I take your advice then I have to find a great timeshare far enough away from Boston where I actually feel far away on vacation and it's great trading power. How in the world do I find out what is good for trading other than taking the plunge, buying and seeing if it can trade or rent? Seems like a crapshoot.

Once you narrow down you choices, we can give you a lot of advice about specific TS systems or resorts, and trading power, but you aren't quite there yet. It's kind of like asking, what's the best car to buy? That's a hard question to answer, because it's so broad. But if you ask, what's the best 5 passenger 4WD to buy? - then you have narrowed the question down enough to get some meaningful answers. It's the same with TS's.

If I was you, I would join TUG so you have access to our extensive TS reviews and I'd read up on all the timeshares within half a day of Boston. Then I would research the ones that sounded promising on eBay. Then I would narrow it down to half a dozen I was interested in, and start asking questions about those.

If you are leaning towards points, then starting hanging out on one of the points boards, read all the stickies, and then ask specific questions about the product.

Once you have narrowed down your choices to an area, or to a point system, or to a TS system, we can be a lot more specific.

* I just looked and we have reviews for 44 TS's just in Mass.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
John is right about rising fees and special assessments. If you choose to buy an independent timeshare resort (no longer associated with the developer) Be sure to buy something where the BOD has a philosophy that says SA's are unnecessary, because we reserve for future needs and expenditures.

When we bought our first week at Foxrun, an average resort in the North Carolina mountains, near Lake Lure (where Dirty Dancing was filmed), we were told during our "due diligence" process that there would likely be a special assessment of $500 or so for re-building retaining walls. The board decided to increase fees gradually to improve the resort, which shocked most owners, because the first increase was from [I think] $440 to $550 in one year. We were thrilled because we knew we found what we were looking for: a good trader with a conscientious board. Consequently, we bought more weeks.

A few years later, our fees have gone up only $15-25 per year for the last two years, basically, and our units now have remodeled kitchens, retaining walls, new furniture and paint. The board and the management company worked to keep costs as low as possible. Being on a board myself, I can appreciate the work they did to make the resort a better place.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
John is right about rising fees and special assessments. If you choose to buy an independent timeshare resort (no longer associated with the developer) Be sure to buy something where the BOD has a philosophy that says SA's are unnecessary, because we reserve for future needs and expenditures.

When we bought our first week at Foxrun, an average resort in the North Carolina mountains, near Lake Lure (where Dirty Dancing was filmed), we were told during our "due diligence" process that there would likely be a special assessment of $500 or so for re-building retaining walls. The board decided to increase fees gradually to improve the resort, which shocked most owners, because the first increase was from [I think] $440 to $550 in one year. We were thrilled because we knew we found what we were looking for: a good trader with a conscientious board. Consequently, we bought more weeks.

A few years later, our fees have gone up only $15-25 per year for the last two years, basically, and our units now have remodeled kitchens, retaining walls, new furniture and paint. The board and the management company worked to keep costs as low as possible. Being on a board myself, I can appreciate the work they did to make the resort a better place.
A very important point. At some resorts the fees seem awfully high, but beware the resort that has unusually low fees as well. There have been many resorts that have skimped on the fees, feeling that owners wanted to keep the fees low; this results in maintenance being put off, and then a costly SA when it gets to the point where the maintenance must be done.

When your roof leaks in your home, you pay and get it fixed - you can most likely finance the cost of a new roof, through a home equity loan or line of credit. Not so with a timeshare - the HOA pays for the new roof, and owns nothing to secure the debt, so they pass the cost along to the owners. The choice is to have everyone pay when the roof must be replaced, or to plan for the cost over time and prepay. While prepaying (keeping a reserve fund) means higher maintenance fees, it also means no sudden surprises, where some owners can't afford to pay. When that happens, everyone else has to pick up the slack.

In general when deciding whether timesharing will save you money, you need to look at your own needs, and your own style of vacations. I vacation with a family of 5 (and sometimes the extended family). Few hotel rooms will be comfortable for us, even many of the suites. With one teen, and one preteen, food also becomes an issue - when to eat, what to eat, how much it costs... Not only do the eat a lot, but they are picky. Hotels with breakfast are great - usually something for everyone, but picking a place to eat lunch and dinner can be an adventure in and of itself. If we ate all our meals in, as well as incidental beverages and snacks, in most locations I could feed us for about $100 for the week. If we were to eat out most meals that would easily balloon to $700 - $800! We usually settle for something in-between, and splurge for a few special items to cook in the unit as well. I'll say we probably end up spending $300 for all our meals for the week. Combine $500 saved on food with another $500 saved on accomodations (assuming we would otherwise get two adjoining rooms), that leaves $1000 to spend on airfare so we can afford to go somewhere not necessarily within driving distance.

When the kids are grown and gone, it may be a whole other story. By then we'll probably own points of some sort, or will trade for "lower cost" units in the offseason, and get more bang for our buck.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Take your time

Try it, you will be addicted to it (like many people on this board :hysterical: )

Shifty, I think Janna says it all. From your posts, it sounds like you are still pretty young - after all, you know what an FPS is. The closest I got to FPS was Asteroids and Missile Command; and I am a below average aged TS'er. Don't rush into anything; try a couple of rentals and see how it fits. Join up with TUG and browse - I spent alot of time reading here before I bought my first TS, and could have spent more. My knowledge has grown exponentially from reading here, and there are some GREAT bargain philosophies to be found in these threads! But it takes some careful consideration of your objectives, tolerance for risk, and future plans to find the right approach and make the plunge. A couple of days reading posts here won't do it justice.

We fell into the TS life by accident/need. My son has celiac and can't safely eat at restaurants, so travel was always hell. We decided to take a Disney vacation a few years back, and came across renting a TS as a viable option because of the kitchen. But we fell in love because of the amenities and space (first stay was SVV). We bought because of the ridiculous eBay pricing. I'm a Capricorn Scotsman, so unwedging a dollar from my wallet is about as easy as giving the cat a bath, but I have absolutely no regrets at this point. We bought in Orlando (twice actually, a 2BR fixed March break week, and a floating week 3BR lockoff, total investment, $11.46 + closing/transfer fees). Most wisdom here says avoid Orlando, but we have become Mouse Junkies, and I don't think my kids will ever tire of everything that Central Florida can offer. So we followed the "buy where you want to stay" philosophy. I've also had enough less than ideal "great deal" vacations to start to realize that vacation is one area of my life where I don't want to skimp and take risks. I work too hard to risk not enjoying the little bit of time off I allow myself (self-employed contractor). Oh yeah, my SO loves it because I HAVE to actually take some time off every year to enjoy our investment.

Your best asset is that you have been exposed to the value of TS, and you have time on your side. Take your time to explore, don't rush it, and if it's not right now, remember it in the future when your lifestyle changes. Sure TS prices are rock bottom right now, but they weren't that expensive resale when the market was up. Personally, I am hoping for a 1000% return on my initial investment (less fees) at the end (or $100, it's about the same). I've probably already saved my MF in food costs for a family of four; and we have to buy specialty food at Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheques). One more bonus, my SO is a teacher, so if we don't go one year we have no problem finding another teacher to rent that week and cover our costs.

If you dig deep enough, you'll eventually find enough good personal reasons, most of which a TS sales persons will never get. Whatever you decide to do, remember that you are supported by a whole family of dedicated TS owners who are full of advice and wisdom. This community is GREAT!!! :cheer:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Beauty of America - Choices

I'm not sure there are any $44 hotel rooms in Key West - if there are, they don't have this view. To get something similar to this, you're starting at $300+ a night for the Westin hotel next door - so for half the money, the TS product has three times the space (an extra bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room and balcony) of the hotel room.

I understand that a hotel room serves your space needs as you travel now, but as your family grows or when you travel with friends in the future, you'll never go back to a hotel room once you've stayed in a TS type unit.

But ultimately its about choices; while cheaper accommodations can be found when traveling, is money THE only determining factor? We choose to pay for the TS product as it provides what we desire (we're just lucky that it is cheaper than the hotel next door).

Attachments

• balcony sunset view.jpg
    balcony sunset view.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 53

wbtimesharer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy cow! I go to the bathroom and come back and there's a ton of responses! Thanks everyone.

No offense to anyone, but for the people who replied about having more space, to me that's a luxury. If I just need a place to sleep/nap, shower, etc then a hotel does just fine. I'd love more space, but that's what I call a "luxury" thing - having more space. Not necessary. Now once we have kids who need their own bed then we'll now consider it a necessity (having 2+ beds). Does this make sense? We're not vacation-homers. So that comparison doesn't really apply to me (at least not yet).

Here is my 2 pennies worth. If you are single, stay away from timesharing as you only need a hotel room and your avenue of price shopping works. However, I would say that you may not find those deals all the time and when and where you want them. Florida is overbuilt and availability is pretty open.

Now if you have a family of say 4 and want to spend a week, give that hotel room a whirl and see if you have your marriage or your sanity by the time its done. That and check your food bills for the vacation as you have to eat out or eat PB&J sandwiches because you can't cook. Vacations are meant to be enjoyed and relaxing and timeshares are just that. Prior to about 5 years ago and my entry into the game we spent 10 years going to the same area and renting anything from a sardine sized camper for $400 to a hotel room the size of a postage stamped teeming with all kinds of critters.

I just purchased a 1 bedroom timeshare short distance drive from my home. Anytime I want I can pack the family up and go over and use the resort facilities plus I have on the books about 8 reservations this year in a 750 sq ft golf course facing whirlpool 1 bedroom condo including Memorial day, the 4th, Labor day, a 2 bedroom over Thanksgiving and 2 condos for New Years. Total cost will be around $1000 dollars for all of them. I have already paid 80% of the last 2 years MF by renting 2 of the reservations and the condo is paid as I paid under $100 for it.

I generally break even or come out comfortably ahead renting out my ownerships plus obtaining airline tickets for around half price or getting $1500 worth of Disney tickets for about $500 . On top of it we do about 8 vacations a year with one a full week and the rest weekend getaways.

So, priceline and hotel rooms can be great, but I like timesharing.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice to see many of TUGs seasoned veterans and true pros contributing to what has turned out to be a very upbeat thread about the goodness of timesharing.

To the OP, you are fortunate to have found TUG early in your life. Stay, learn and reap the benefits of leisure time well spent.

Done well timesharing is simply fantastic and as some have indicated, if you are really cost conscious you can get to the point where vacation is free.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you John for this insight. It was good to hear someone shoot down this misconception of mine. The only thing I really like about nice hotels is the cleaning service. Other than that, a hot tub and pool. But TS have those too. I wonder what a TS would look like in a city. For some reason I always picture pools and the ocean when picturing TS's.

Don't assume that timeshares are better than hotels. It all depends on your preferences, location, etc. The average timeshare is basically just a condo and does not have the amenities of a good 4* Hotel. Most people here make the mistake of comparing a timeshare with budget hotels.

If you want a place with housekeeping, restaurant(s), room service, good furniture and bedding, elegance, etc. then a good upscale hotel is much better. If you must have a full kitchen, then a timeshare is better.

We far prefer upscale hotels because we want the service that goes with them. We like being pampered. Getting a suite upgrade is very easy. We have stayed in many upscale hotel suites that were as large or larger than many timeshare units.

Many of the Mexican timeshares do offer the luxury and services of upscale hotel resorts. The Grand Mayans are the equivalent of a luxury 5* resort with twice daily housekeeping, lots of on-site restaurants, room service, etc., etc. We have stayed at the Grand Mayans several times and they are awesome. However, I would never buy a timeshare in Mexico.

Destination is very important in choosing between a timeshare or hotel. There are many locations where a timeshare is the only viable option and there are other locations where a hotel is.

When we were in New York last time, we stayed a week at the Manhattan Club and 5 days a the Michelangelo 4* hotel. Both are in mid-Manhattan. There is no comparison between the two. We got an automatic free upgrade to a suite at the Michelangelo. There is no comparison between them. The Michelangelo is far better with more room, more elegant, comfortable furniture, better service, etc. We are going back to New York this August and will be staying at the Michelangelo again and 1 week at the HGVC West 57th Street timeshare.

My point is that one cannot make blanket statements about which is best. There are many factors involved. For us timesharing is not what we want now. However it may suit you. You have to evaluate where you want to vacation and what your preferences are.

Remember one very important thing. When you buy a timeshare, you are stuck with it and will be obligated to pay the M/F's, special assessments, etc. Timeshares are not easy to get rid of, especially if it is not an upper tier one. They are not easy to rent despite what some may say. It may be right for you but think long and hard about it. The deals are always going to be there.

shifty1981

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thank you Denise. If that wasn't a motivating reason to pay for TUG then there isn't any. Will definitely do this sometime soon. I especially appreciate the step by step advice. I also can't believe there's that many TS in Mass. Sweetness! Actually i've been mulling over finding one in Maine. We have a family gathering in July or August and I thought perhaps I could do our first TS experience then. Renting of course.

There are a few, but for the most part, they are going to have a very limited number of resorts, or they are going to be outside the price range you are looking for.

Once you narrow down you choices, we can give you a lot of advice about specific TS systems or resorts, and trading power, but you aren't quite there yet. It's kind of like asking, what's the best car to buy? That's a hard question to answer, because it's so broad. But if you ask, what's the best 5 passenger 4WD to buy? - then you have narrowed the question down enough to get some meaningful answers. It's the same with TS's.

If I was you, I would join TUG so you have access to our extensive TS reviews and I'd read up on all the timeshares within half a day of Boston. Then I would research the ones that sounded promising on eBay. Then I would narrow it down to half a dozen I was interested in, and start asking questions about those.

If you are leaning towards points, then starting hanging out on one of the points boards, read all the stickies, and then ask specific questions about the product.

Once you have narrowed down your choices to an area, or to a point system, or to a TS system, we can be a lot more specific.

* I just looked and we have reviews for 44 TS's just in Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.