• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple iPad, first report

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Though you continually criticize my comments, I stand by my post.

To be fair, the criticism has been a two way street. I haven't done an official count and nor will I, but I believe you've quoted and criticized me far more then I have you.

You've actually given me some good advice which I'm appreciative of and if I haven't thanked you before let me thank-you again.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
To be fair, the criticism has been a two way street. I haven't done an official count and nor will I, but I believe you've quoted and criticized me far more then I have you.

I'm sorry you take my replies to be criticism of your posts. My participation here is simply to help answer what I know and believe as objectively as possible (as I have explained previously). Our "discussions" in the past were rather one-sided, as you have not answered many of the questions I posed nor on the potential solutions I offered you, and given today's post you obviously retain the same opinion you had prior to my earlier comment re the factual status of the company prior to Steve Jobs returning to Apple. It's possible I'm wrong - I haven't researched this issue lately, and it's been many years.

You simply have to ask yourself why Steve Jobs has the opinion he has. And you can't call him objective by any means. After all, I'm sure he thinks the company did everything wrong after he was kicked out of the company he founded and deserves whatever happened to it during those years.

You've actually given me some good advice which I'm appreciative of and if I haven't thanked you before let me thank-you again.

You are more than welcome. This is what TUG is about, after all.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
It sure looks like Jobs is taking a lot of heat over the Flash thing. Personally, I think he's wrong. As an owner of this iPad entertainment device I can't enjoy the movies sent to me by friends unless I open them on my laptop ... And just try to watch the latest TV show you might have missed, like 24 on their website -I can't get it to play on iPad. So it's letting me down when it comes to entertainment...and sending me back to a PC for too many things.

Just went to Interval site and found out they use flash too, in the section on a resorts description where you click on photos. Had to open the PC laptop!

Ken...I have tried to get 2 windows side by side on the iPad without success, so please share how you get multiple windows up as you mentioned in another post.

iPad is an eye-catcher for sure, but IMO missing a lot of what PC users have been used to. flash is only part of the functions I've been missing.

Brian

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken...I have tried to get 2 windows side by side on the iPad without success, so please share how you get multiple windows up as you mentioned in another post.

Download the iCab application for a browser with tabs (you still need to enable tabbing in the preferences for the program).

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Ken, as ive mentioned there are no apps available to canadians at this point, so I can't get it ... Even if I had a VPN it wouldn't work unless I had a US credit card and residence.

I assume you have your iPad now and are seeing first hand it's shortcomings.

Brian

Download the iCab application for a browser with tabs (you still need to enable tabbing in the preferences for the program).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken, as ive mentioned there are no apps available to canadians at this point, so I can't get it ... Even if I had a VPN it wouldn't work unless I had a US credit card and residence.

Brian

Do you have a Mac computer? You should be able to download apps to it, and then transfer to the iPad.....

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Brian

Brian,

I've had an iPad since it was released, and the shortcomings you mention don't affect me at all. You repeatedly post that you are unhappy that there is no support in Canada, yet had you asked upon purchase I'm sure the Apple Store would have told you about the restrictions. As I posted previously, it's public info that the app store only works in the US right now, until they start selling the unit in your country. It's hard to plan around a new product, but you took a risk buying it in the US and they delayed selling internationally due to it's success here. There are lots of reports of Canadians going to Apple Stores in New England, Washington, etc to buy these units, so I have no doubt you are unique with this issue.

I've heard rumors that visa/mc/Amex gift cards work regardless of residence location, but haven't verified this.

Ken

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Do you have a Mac computer? You should be able to download apps to it, and then transfer to the iPad.....

He's in Canada, so iTunes won't sell them there.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian,

I've had an iPad since it was released, and the shortcomings you mention don't affect me at all. You repeatedly post that you are unhappy that there is no support in Canada, yet had you asked upon purchase I'm sure the Apple Store would have told you about the restrictions. As I posted previously, it's public info that the app store only works in the US right now, until they start selling the unit in your country. It's hard to plan around a new product, but you took a risk buying it in the US and they delayed selling internationally due to it's success here. There are lots of reports of Canadians going to Apple Stores in New England, Washington, etc to buy these units, so I have no doubt you are unique with this issue.

I've heard rumors that visa/mc/Amex gift cards work regardless of residence location, but haven't verified this.

Ken

Whenever Apple or an Apple product gets criticized it always seems to be the consumers fault. Either they didn’t read the fine print or the device wasn’t designed for this or that use or whatever. Any Apple’s products deficiencies are never admitted to and the blame is always put back on the consumer/end user.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Whenever Apple or an Apple product gets criticized it always seems to be the consumers fault. Either they didn’t read the fine print or the device wasn’t designed for this or that use or whatever. Any Apple’s products deficiencies are never admitted to and the blame is always put back on the consumer/end user.

Ignorant consumers are everywhere. You can't really expect us to believe this type of policy is restricted to just Apple. If you don't ask, you often won't know.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, thanks for sharing this as it explains open standards (HTML5, CSS and JavaScrip) and WebKit. I have a feeling that Addobe Flash will be used less in the future. They will work it out, I have no doubt.

I agree. If you spend the time to read more about this issue, you'll soon find that there are issues that haven't been too clear. For instance, the mobile version of Flash really isn't that compact - it requires more resources, and the version for the iPhone was only available recently. From what I've read, it seems Adobe has been quite slow to create a version that works properly for the iPhone.

As this open letter from Steve references, there is definitely some bad karma between these companies. Adobe created all kinds of a mess when OS X was released as they wouldn't commit to porting their graphic applications to the new OS in a timely manner. By their inaction, Apple went ahead and bought and then improved upon an editing suite which is now known as Final Cut, and that application competes with Adobe Premier and others... Adobe has not been a friendly Mac developer in the last 10 years, whereas they were among the best prior to then. It's really a shame, but to understand the situation re flash, you have to see the entire history here. It's not as simple as Apple trying to exclude them for no good reason. And don't forget that Adobe has a good marketing/pr firm too, so don't necessary believe everything either company says at this point. It takes time to understand the true situation.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. If you spend the time to read more about this issue, you'll soon find that there are issues that haven't been too clear. For instance, the mobile version of Flash really isn't that compact - it requires more resources, and the version for the iPhone was only available recently. From what I've read, it seems Adobe has been quite slow to create a version that works properly for the iPhone.

As this open letter from Steve references, there is definitely some bad karma between these companies. Adobe created all kinds of a mess when OS X was released as they wouldn't commit to porting their graphic applications to the new OS in a timely manner. By their inaction, Apple went ahead and bought and then improved upon an editing suite which is now known as Final Cut, and that application competes with Adobe Premier and others... Adobe has not been a friendly Mac developer in the last 10 years, whereas they were among the best prior to then. It's really a shame, but to understand the situation re flash, you have to see the entire history here. It's not as simple as Apple trying to exclude them for no good reason. And don't forget that Adobe has a good marketing/pr firm too, so don't necessary believe everything either company says at this point. It takes time to understand the true situation.

The only reason is Jobs massive ego. Everyone knows this. Trying to spin it as anything else is just more biased nonsense.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The only reason is Jobs massive ego. Everyone knows this. Trying to spin it as anything else is just more biased nonsense.

No question he has an ego, but if you discount everything else, then who is biased here? Certainly not I.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No, of course not! :rolleyes:

It's these types of posts which are really discouraging. I posted information about the issue, and you responded with "what everyone knows" as an answer. Do you routinely find simplistic answers to difficult issues? There's more than is obvious with this issue, and if you're really interested in it, you'll research it yourself and make an educated conclusion. I'm not sure disparaging my posts will earn you anything other than a feeling of false superiority. Next time post some facts.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time Out

ok, people, I started this thread, about an OBJECT, a THING, and there's no reason for arguing. I'd just as soon this thread stayed open so we could continue to discuss the iPad.

Please stop squabbling. thank you.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tested out the Skype iPhone app on the Ipad. Voices were crystal clear. It was made for the iPhone so it's not the prettiest app but it works great. It has to be open to receive calls. I'm guessing that will fixable in when they upgrade the OS.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like Canada is getting the iPad on May 28 so hopefully there will be some apps I can get for the one I bought while in Phoenix. I've heard that there will be severe restrictions on books due to copyright arrangements that still have to be made with Canadian book publishers. Have also found that the majority of songs are $1.29 here and only $0.99 in the US even thought the dollars are almost par...and there are not as many songs available to Canadians either.

For what it's worth, I still prefer my laptop to be honest and hope the availability of apps will change that ... when I go to Europe I'll prob take the iPad as long as Slingbox has an app for it by then.

Brian

tlwmkw

Reaction score
pwrshift,

Many of the itunes songs are $1.29 here too- I believe it has to do with newer songs being in a slightly different format and they charge more for them. I know that I had to download a newer version of itunes to be able to buy the $1.29 songs- the old 99c ones would download fine prior to getting the newer itunes version. I'm sure other folks who are more computer savvy will know what this is all about.

tlwmkw

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.apple.com/ca/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html

Guess we'll be able to get apps on the 28th. Any suggestions which ones are must-have?

Brian

Btw ... How can I get my home movies on the iPad? Tried to load the on through iTunes but it won't permit it. They were done in an Apple format.

Here's an example: http://vimeo.com/11766620

A few of my favorites apps,most are free.
  1. Netflix
  2. Calculator Xl
  3. The weather channel
  4. NPR
  5. Epicurious
  6. ABC Player
  7. Yahoo entertaiment
  8. Skype
  9. Pages
  10. Kayak
  11. Pianoist Pro
  12. Accu radio
  13. checkers 360
  14. Air hockey
  15. 10 pin Shuffle
  16. NOVA HD
If your movies are in the correct format you can do this .If not then you will need a video converter.There are many apps to remote view your PC so you can keep the storage space on your Ipad free.There are work arounds and apps for many issues.

Last edited:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this amusing for a few moments....

ipad-vs-blu-tack1.jpg

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have an Itouch and have noticed that when I now going searching for apps that all of the apps say they are for Iphone or Ipad. Are they no longer going to support the Itouch?:confused: :annoyed: