• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which devp'ts are ON swimmable beaches?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We just stayed at Gardens at West Maui, a great resort that I bought sight unseen from a resale website, which is across the street from Napili Kai.

Napili Kai is a beautiful resort that is rental only, as noted in the post ahead of this one. We talked to some people who were staying there and they visit every year and get the same oceanview unit. They had their little dog with them and that was just one of the benefits of staying at Napili Kai.

About One Napili Way: We don't own yet, but we are going to buy a week at the resort. We took the tour in person and loved it. The developers are two Christian men who despise timeshare giants and think that timeshare is generally a great idea. They buy back weeks for just $800.00 less than the owner originally paid. They are able to sell the weeks again, very quickly, because they have a sign on the road by the resort with the prices listed. We were very impressed and there are reviews on this site and on redweek.com. The resort is just yards from the beach. It's Five-Star with II. The maintenance fees are low. The units are not air conditioned, but there are fans and a nice breeze. I hope they don't think I am trying to sell them. It is just nice to see such a nice resort for a great price and low MF's.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One Napali

Riverdees: My idea of an ideal Hawaii resort is one where you can see both the ocean and the mountains and it sits right on a swimmable beach, ie walk out your front door and there is the beach. One NaPali Way does not have a view of the mountains, only a peek at the ocean, and to get to a beach you go up the street half a block and then down a pathway to the beach.

I still haven't found the idea Hawaiian resort that I can afford.

Sterling

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That's why I have to settle for Napili Way

A agree that the ideal would be to be ocean front and have a view of the mountains. That sounds like a high rise, though, and then you cannot walk out of your door onto the beach.

I saw a comment about Napili Way not being a resort. When I think of resort, I think of a spa and swimming pool, and One Napili Way has that. I know some people like miniature golf, clubhouse with games and pool table, and activities (that always turn out to be boring or a sales presentation). Those things do not appeal to us on Maui, especially now that the kids are grown. I wonder what amenities we would really miss that I am forgetting, if we bought at Napili Way.

What amenities do you look for in a resort?

taffy19

Reaction score
I always thought that a resort is a place where you hang around and enjoy all the luxurious amenities but if you like to go and see the Island and do some tours too, a less luxurious resort (so long it is clean and comfortable) would make much more sense to me unless money is no object at all. You cannot be at two places at the same time. JMHO.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
For me it is comfortable rooms with ac and location, location , location.

I want to look out on the water and walk on to the beach.

taffy19

Reaction score
jjking42, if I were you, I would check the luxurious hotels in Wailea or at the Ka'anapali beach. We prefer Wailea because it is less busy and congested on the roads and I love the beaches and coves there. The timeshares you desire, are available but they are pricey.

I am still completely puzzled about the prices that people have posted here about the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas for $79,900 for ONE single week while we got a brochure from a Westin sales lady where she wrote the prices down of $48,900 for a 2 bd. Ocean View and $33,900 for a 1 bd. OV. She also said that this phase was almost completely sold out if we wanted the larger units.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758

She did not tell us that it was for an EOY purchase nor did she write it down. My husband doesn't recall her saying either that it was for an EOY week but it must be that way. They were going to send us a package from the main office but we never received it but we would not be interested anyway at such ridiculous prices! Now the prices at the Marriott Resorts, we visited, look reasonable in comparison to the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas.

When we stayed at the Waiohai Beach Club at Poipu beach, we went to see the Lawai Beach Resort which is not far away. The front desk showed us a rental unit in the Coral building which was completely redone and looked nice plus had a great view of the ocean as it was upstairs. You are across the street and the beach is tiny. The older units do not have ocean view because it is blocked by a restaurant on the beach. After that we walked over to the front desk of H.T.S.E. Timeshares Resales and spoke with a lady from the H.T.S.E. Exchange Club for trading or renting units from the owners. I would give them a call, riverdees05 and ask for their brochure and prices. The person to contact is Ralph M. Hornstine and the number is 1-866-860-4873. They are a lot less expensive than the Marriott or Westin resorts but still nice and comfortable units. I don't remember if it had air condition because we hardly ever use it in March and April. We leave our doors and windows wide open. I am glad that the sun, fresh air and wind, beach and blue ocean are still to enjoy by everyone. :)

lovemyjeep

TUG Member
Reaction score
jjking42

Hello-Not sure if my private e-mail worked correctly-just recently tonight read these postings.

If not, could you please send me a private e-mail response for me to give you private information.

Autuamnsprite

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at One Napili Way, and just last week received an email stating they are now sold out. However, they do have four resale weeks available. Two fixed in January and two fixed in March. It also said there was a waiting list. You won't find any resale weeks except through them, though I noticed on the classified ads section there is one on there. But, ONP exercises their right of first refusal.

The complex was originally supposed to be condo's but that fell through and they started the timeshares, so the units are as they would be for full time living, i.e. spacious and fully equipped. They are very nice units, they have a patio or (if an upstairs unit) a balcony overlooking the pool. The complex is small (as stated in another post), however it is very clean and well kept. The manager is the son-in-law of the owners, it's a family owned and run company. They are very nice people, will answer any questions you may have regarding pretty much anything.

As for the beach, it's withing walking distance (a minute maybe) and it's beautiful. There is even shade. ONP has beach chairs you can use there, also.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it was our understanding when we were there last month that the weeks were sold out but they would buy back weeks from owners for just $800.00 less than they paid, which is great insurance for a skeptical purchaser. They had just two weeks available at that time. We are going to buy a week when we can afford to pay cash, probably this fall, and if they do not have a week at that time, we will just wait.

Are all of the weeks fixed? I guess I could send them an email. I would want a week during whale season because we missed it this time, and the weather is cooler. I don't need air conditioning as long as the temperatures remain in the low 80's, especially with ceiling fans. The unit we toured was very cool and the temperature was actually 86 degrees at the time. I am about thirty pounds overweight and suffer from hot flashes, and that unit was a comfortable temperature FOR ME.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep my house and office between 70-72 degrees. I have stayed in units with ac that could not maintain that temperature. The marriott waiohai could not maintain that temerature. Very disappointing for such a nice resort.

taffy19

Reaction score
How do you manage outside if you like it this cool inside? Do you stay inside always when you are on vacation? Normally, 76 degrees feels cool when it is warm and/or humid outside. Maybe, you left the doors and windows wide open at the Waiohai Beach Club and still expected to cool the place down to 72 degrees? We were told by our a/c repairman at home that an a/c unit can only cool about ten degrees from the outside temperature but without the humidity, it feels so much cooler inside. At 72 degrees with a/c on, I would be freezing unless I am exercising hard or doing physical work.

The electricity company recommends leaving it at 78 degrees and it feels nice when you come in from outside. I hope for the consumer's sake that the expensive hotels and resorts have an automatic turn off feature for the a/c when people leave their doors or windows wide open. That would make economic and environmental friendly sense for everyone. JMHO.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Texas is hot at this time of year......

Texas is so much hotter than Colorado, where we live. Most of my friends and relatives from Texas freeze when my thermostat is on 76 degrees in the summer. I am surprised that you are bothered by Hawaii's usual 80-86 degree high temperatures, since you are from Texas. A young man from Dallas that stayed with us for a while wears jeans and long-sleeved shirts unless it's over ninety degrees.

Hawaii should feel like a Texas winter. ;)

taffy19

Reaction score
JohnnyO said:
I suggest you look into these series of books about Hawaii to really find the best swimable and snorkeling beaches.

http://www.wizardpub.com/main/home.html
John, these are great books and I have another title for people who love snorkeling too. "Snorkel Maui and Lana'i" - Guide to the Underwater World of Hawai'i by Judy and Mel Malinowski. It is available at Wal Mart and on Amazon.com too for about $12. We really liked it because it is so detailed. :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0964668033/msn-bookfo/ref=nosim/002-1268631-1331220

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Revealed byAndrew Doughty and Harriett Friedman is an excellent book that we purchased and have seen many people on this site recommend.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was not born and reaised in texas. I am from Northern Virginia and grew up waiting for the school bus in short sleve shirts in the snow during January. I use to open my windows at night during the winter. And would wake up with steam coming off my breath. My wife grew up in the mountins of New mexico, so she likes it cool also. We get a laugh at our friends when they break out the heavy coats at 60 degrees.

I enjoy being outsdie in the sun and beach. I love the water and use lots of sunscreen. But when it comes to sleeping I need cool and dry. I was as scout leader in texas for many years and have spent many a hot summer night in a tent trying to sleep.

I can deal with the heat but would not chose to sleep in it for a vacation. When it come to sleep I need dark, cold, silent.

I have never slept in a car, train, plane, chair. I am jealous of those that can. My wife falls a sleep 5 minutes after the plane takes off. She slept in a rock concert once. Not my luck.

Anyway it can get as hot as it wants during the day as long as I can get cool and dry at night.

At the marriott waiohai we never opened the windows only opened the door when leaving and coming and still the ac would not get cool enough in March. Some rooms got colder than others. The second bedroom and living room have better air flow than the master bedroom. Once we closed of some of the other vents the master bedroom cooled down more.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harry
84 in arizona feel much cooler then 84 in dallas, because of the lack of humidity there.

taffy19

Reaction score
Once, I was a week in Houston, TX and felt like I was walking in a hothouse constantly. I practically could not breath. Yes, the air condition in the Hilton Hotel was so cold that everything in the room smelled musty. How could that be because A/C takes all the moisture out? It ruined my luggage because I hate that musty smell.

I agree with you that sleeping in a dark, cool, quiet room gives you a much better rest but we love to listen to the ocean so rather leave the windows wide open. Sooner or later we drop off anyway. Some of the resorts have lots of birds and they wake you up early in the morning and in Maui, we get woken up by the roosters. Many guests complain but we love it. The early mornings are beautiful.

Did you have them check the A/C at the Waiohai Beach Club if it was different in every room? Maybe, it could be fixed. We never used it so do not know.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
hibbert6 said:
We're looking at purchasing a T/S on any of the islands, but want to buy at a complex that is either right on, or, say within 100 yards of, a swimmable /maybe snorkel-able beach. Please share your knowledge! :) (Unfortunately, we can't afford Marriott or Westin...) Thanks!
Dave
How about The Whaler in Kaanapali. It sits on the ocean and great snorkeling at Black Rock, just a short distance from it. Call Whaler Realty for resale information. We bought from Bob Cartwright about 10 years ago and our timeshare has increased in value! Use Google and call up The Whaler to see what it is like.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gardens at West Maui has a/c that works well

You just have to keep those windows closed for it to be effective. I stayed cool last month and it was 86 degrees and I have hot flashes like crazy. I couldn't sit on the patio very long because it was just too hot out there, but everyone else was okay with the shady patio, overlooking the golf course. Those units are small but very nice. They have king-sized beds and two bathrooms.

That resort is across the street from the beach, so you have to walk through Napili Kai resort (rental/hotel units that are beautiful and on the beach) to get to the beach, but we did that every night we could to watch the sunset over the ocean. Every picture we took of the beach and the sunset over the ocean looks like a postcard, it is so beautiful.

taffy19

Reaction score
Dave,

It is easy to copy and paste a link. Make sure that there is always a space before and after the link you pasted in. You cannot start the link in a new paragraph at the beginning of the line but must hit the space bar once. You can also use the <> icon in the little toolbar above and paste it there and it will appear in your text and continue with the following word after hitting the space bar once again like you always do.

Yes, that was the wrong link and I looked again. I found the Whaler Inn under http://www.tripadvisor.com/ and found more pictures when I clicked on the picture in the page. I am sure you we can find it in the TUG reviews or in RCI or II but I don't know to which trading company it belongs. It looks like a lot of rooms have ocean view from the second floor up. We did not see this hotel or timeshare resort when we walked the Ka'anapali beach.