• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Laundry Detergent Capsules

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
alternative to laundry tabs

I used to purchase laundry tabs, but can't find those anymore either. Instead, I take along a large, wide-mouth, Nalgene bottle filled with powdered detergent. The first time I used the bottle, I scooped out enough powdered detergent for one large load, poured it in the bottle, then marked the level on the bottle. I repeated that until the bottle was full. Turns out the bottle holds enough for 7 loads of laundry - more than enough for one week of laundry for us. I place the bottle in a zip-lock bag just in case the bottle should split, etc. Then when I go to use the detergent, I just dump in enough to decrease the level in the bottle to the next lower line. It's close enough for me!

Check out your local thrift store for a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle or something other type of plastic water bottle. If you can only find bottles with a narrow mouth, that might work, but you might have to use a funnel to get your detergent into the bottle.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just put some of my powdered detergent in a 1-quart, zip-loc freezer bag, and put that in a second 1-quart zip-loc freezer bag. I put a few Bounce/fabric softener sheets in the outer bag. I take along just enough detergent to use, plus a small bit more. It's compact, not too heavy, fits fine in my suitcase, and I don't have to buy anything at my destination.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc, I do almost exactly the same thing, except that DH always takes our mesh laundry bag, so he carries the dryer sheets. ??? Works for us. LOL! I mostly use the powder for hand washing, and we still have some Wisk tabs left to use for the machines.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just put some of my powdered detergent in a 1-quart, zip-loc freezer bag, and put that in a second 1-quart zip-loc freezer bag. I put a few Bounce/fabric softener sheets in the outer bag. I take along just enough detergent to use, plus a small bit more. It's compact, not too heavy, fits fine in my suitcase, and I don't have to buy anything at my destination.

This is what we do as well, but recently we have been using liquid detergent....so I don't think this method will work too well! ;) :p :D

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is what we do as well, but recently we have been using liquid detergent....so I don't think this method will work too well! ;) :p :D

Well, if you insist on liquid, I'd just take a foodsaver machine, put the liquid in the first Zip-loc bag, get as much air out of it as possible manually, and then use the seal function to permanently seal the bag. Then put it inside two others, at least one zipped, and the other either zipped or sealed.

When you get to your destination, at the time of your first wash, you can empty the bag into a jar or glass, and keep it by the washer or with the dirty laundry until you leave.

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been using the Tide one load Liquid packets from CVS and Walmart.

Tide also makes a liquid in smaller packet for sink washing clothes.

Do not confuse
sink washing liquid can't be used in a washing machine.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, if you insist on liquid, I'd just take a foodsaver machine, put the liquid in the first Zip-loc bag, get as much air out of it as possible manually, and then use the seal function to permanently seal the bag. Then put it inside two others, at least one zipped, and the other either zipped or sealed.

When you get to your destination, at the time of your first wash, you can empty the bag into a jar or glass, and keep it by the washer or with the dirty laundry until you leave.

You are right that would work, and we happen to have one of those sealer devices. Maybe I will give it a try...

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The are the Washeze laundry sheets - detergent, softener, and dryer sheet - all in one.

http://www.washeze.com/

Also sold as Xclaim in those AsSeenOnTV stores.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I try to avoid bringing non-commercially labelled and sealed packets of white powder/capsules through Customs and airport Security because of horror stories I have heard.

Worldmark and a few other timeshares provide a starter supply of laundry and dish-washing detergents. I often don't need to use all of them, but collect them to use in timeshares where I am not sure if there is going to be any or enough detergents supplied. When I run out of those, I prefer to bring Tide packets that I have often bought in the stores on sale rather than create my own packets. But that's just me. :shrug:

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to use the Tide bricks when travelling too. Now just buy a small bottle of liquid when we travel, but less convenient.
I have appreciated that our Worldmark timeshares have been stocking small packets of basic spices. Cinnamon, Salt, Pepper, Italian. I can't remember what else, but this helps out.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We often do two things.

-Look at a 7-11 (or similar store) for the super small size soap packages they sell.
-Stop by a commerical laudrymate and buy their soaps for about $0.50 - $1.00 each.

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never leave anything behind in the unit, just because I assume that housekeeping will throw it away. I stay mostly in HGVC resorts, so their housekeeping rules are just like a hotel. But, I also have noticed that they supply their own S/P shakers in several properties, which is nice.

As for laundry detergent, in the past I leave my leftover bottle in the "public" laundry room at the resort. Most HGVC resorts have a laundry room for those units that don't have their own machines (like studios... and they're even free most of the time). I wrote "Please use me!" with a sharpie on the bottle and left it on a shelf above the machines. Sometimes there were a couple other bottles around also, so I wanted to make sure everyone know it was a public donation. One time, as I was leaving to check out, a large family was loading up the luggage cart to check in. I offered a large half used bottle of laundry detergent to a woman in the family and she seemed grateful. :)

And then I too, discovered Owner's Locker and now just keep the bottle for next time! :cool:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

I use to do this all the time then I got really paranoid after 9/11. Once, when flying from Kona to Oahu I took along a can of Ajax. The screeners came across it and I believe it lead them to go through my entire bag.

So you've never had any with taking powdered detergent in recent years? I'll have to think about doing that again.