• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mazatlan Mexico Information

gophish

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maz Frank,
Question about flights from NY to Mazatlan.
We are actually going from Albany, NY, but we could go down to the city if it makes it easier and cheaper.
We aren't actually going until Nov '06 but I have been look at flights for this Nov just to get an idea and have had trouble finding flights that leave here and arrive in Mazatlan the same day. Many of the flights I see don't get there until the day after you leave due to transfers and layovers.
Are there airlines that run flights that arrive there the same day we leave here. I'm not concerned about direct flights but would like to not have to leave the day before I want to get there. Any suggestions?
thanks Ken H.

Reaction score
Pneumonia in Mazatlan!

I do not know if you are aware, but in Mazatlan we have Pneumonia, but that is the name of the golf cart taxis we have in Mazatlan :) . In the 1960´s, when these little carts came out in Mazatlan, were called by some of the taxi drivers, Pulmonia (Pneumonia), so the locals would not ride on these vehicles, because they were the competition of the regular taxis. Nothing happened, the locals rode the pulmonias and the name stayed. As these were such a competition for the regular taxis, they started buying the cars that you call the "Thing" and made them similar to Pulmonias, but they were trying to call them penicilins, because they were the cure to the pneumonia. The difference is that the Safaris (the name they have now) have doors and the Pulmonias do not have doors.

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Flights to Mazatlan

I have taken people around the City and of course I ask where they are from. When they say New York, first of all I ask them why they chose Mazatlan, because normally people from The East Coast go to Can Cun, Cozumel, etc. Another question is how they flew here. I have heard many answers and many unhappy faces. But those who are happy, have flied from New York to Houston and from Houston to Mazatlan on Continental Express. I am not sure of the frequency but if it is not everyday, it should be at least 4 times a week.

Direct flights come from Houston-Continental Express, Phoenix-America West, Denver-Frontier, Los ANgeles-Alaska Airlines, Mexicana, Aeromexico, Aero California and starting in December I heard, Delta will come back after 10 years from Salt Lake City.

Of course we have direct flights from Mexico City also. I would try thru Houston. I think and heard that it is the best choice.
I hope this helps a bit!

Have a great week!

Mazatlan Frank

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mazatlan Frank

I was sure I had asked about good snorkeling spots in Mazatlan but I don't see the thread anywhere, so I will ask again.

We will be staying at the Sea Gardens in November. Where do you suggest the best and/or closest snorkeling spot is to there?? We would be interested in your experience of best and closest.

thanks sir

Reaction score
Snorkling.......

Hola amigo
I do not know very much about snorkling, but I have heard that on Deer Island is a good place. If you have your own equipment you can go on the anphibius boat that crosses from El Cid to Deer Island. If you do not have equipment, El Cid has an Aqua Sports center that rents it. If you require aditional information and I do not answer email me fkole2000@hotmail.com
By the way, I have heard that on Stone Island you can snorkle also but the water is normally very mixed.

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Mazatlan, Mexico

Mazatlan comes from the word Mazatl, which in Nahuatl means land or place of the deer. It was officially founded on May 14th 1531, although the Historians have a contriversy and say it was founded later. Mazatlan has been a REAL City. It started as a Spanish fortress, then in the 1800´s it was a very important Import Export port. People from countries around the world came seeking fortune in those days, some found it, some didn´t. In the 1900´s it became a fishing port. In the 1940´s it started to become a Tourist City. We have a modern Hotel area, but also we have a beautiful Historical district called OLD MAZATLAN. If you come to Mazatlan, do not miss this area, it is the nicest! The population of the City oficially is 380,000 people but the census was done several years ago and many books say 800,000 because it has been growing inmensly.
So, come down to Mazatlan and enjoy the City. People are very friendly and it is a great place to come to.

Mazatlan Frank

ragtop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank, can you rate the timeshare resorts in Mazatlan in your opinion? Just curious...

Reaction score
My opinion..........

This would be my opinion. It is what I have seen, some indoors, some exterior only and also by comments I have heard or read.......

1-Pueblo Bonito at Emerald Bay
2-Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
3-Inn at Mazatlan
4-Royal Villas
5-Marina El Cid
6-Torres Mazatlan

To me those would be the top six.

When Mayan Sea Garden opens the nre tower thet are building, perhaps the places will change.........

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Cliff Divers in Mazatlan

Did you know that Mazatlan has cliff divers, just like in Acapulco? We have them in the area called Olas Altas. It is lower then in Acapulco but also much more shallow. It is around 45 feet high and 5 to 6 feet deep. What they do, is they wait for the wave to dive. They have been doing this for about 30 years now. You can go and see them on your own, but if no one else is there, they will ask you for around $8 to $10us. If there are more people then they just ask for tips. The other way to see them is taking a tour. Have fun watching them!

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Mid June is warm and it is when the rainy season is about to start. But if you want quiet, it is quiet because most tourists are in the US or Canada and the Mexican tourists start coming to Mazatlan at the end of June. So if you want quiet it is ok, and for the heat, we have air condtioners, so come down amigo!

Mazatlan Frank

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mazatlan for New Years ??

Hola Mazatlan Frank,

First, I want to thank you for the information on direct flights to Mazatlan. Everytime I look on the internet all the connections look painful and time-consuming (with mostly "next day" arrivals), so I was getting a little worried. Also, from San Diego we can get non-stop flights to Cabo for around $340/each, but it looks like Mazatlan flights cost about $550/each and that's flying from Los Angeles with 1 stopover! Ouch!!!

We usually go to either Cabo or Puerto Vallarta for 1 week in either January or February, but for 2006 we are planning our Mexico trip for the week between Christmas and New Years. I was worried that it might not be warm enough in Cabo in late December, so I booked a week at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. I am hoping that there would be some sunshine, and **maybe** temperatures in the 70's (F) for most of the mid-day, even though it will be a little chilly at night. Or, worst-case, I hope that the Pueblo Bonito will have heated pools. Can you tell me anything about the weather for the last week of the year?

Also, I am wondering what kinds of things will be going on during the week between Christmas and New Years. We probably will not arrive until the day after Christmas, but I am wondering if a lot of the city will be closed for the holiday week. Or, since a lot of cruise ships will still be stopping in Mazatlan that week, most shops, stores & restaurants will still be open? Does Mazatlan have fireworks or any special celebrations for New Year's eve?

Thanks much!
---- Rene

Reaction score
True.......

I read your comment and I said to myself, thats not true! I just checked on different airlines and wow! It is true. The most inexpensive I found was Aeromexico with a roundtrip for $415us flying thru Mexico City. That is incredible! Just recently (well it was the low season) I saw a round trip to LA, non-stop for $200us per person. This is truly incredible, no wonder a lot of people go to other destinations because their air fare is much less. I found a round trip from Tijuana for $480 each. I do not know how difficult it is for you to travel from there.

The weather is very nice around December and January. In the day, aorund the low and mid 80´s and at night the mid or high 70´s. No rain in that part of the year, although once in a while mother natures turns some showers on, but that is unusual.

Mazatlan is a tourist city so things are open. Christmas day, some things will be closed downtown but in the Golden zone, things are pretty much open. We have cruiseships on the 25, 26, 28 and 29 that week so we will be busy. We do not really have fireworks on those days, except for some Hotels. I am not sure about Pueblo Bonito, but the Hotel Playa Mazatlan has fireworks every sunday at 7 or 8 on the beach. It is a nice show! The Hotels of course and restaurants have things going on also. If you need aditional information please email me ( fkole2000@hotmail.com ) and I will gladly send it to you.

You probably have many questions that I will gladly answer. Have a nice Sunday!

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Mazatlan, a real City...

I call Mazatlan a real City because it was not developed for tourists like other Cities in Mexico. It started off as a Spanish fortress in the 1500´s. In the 1800´s it was a very important Port, actually the next one south of San Francisco. We also had sort of a gold rush in the Sierra Madre mountains so there were a lot of businesses in Port. The import and exports were also big in those days from Europe, as well as China and the Phillipines. After that it was a fishing port and later it became a tourist City. So now, tourism is big but also we still have fishing (shrimp, with one of the largest fleets in Mexico and tuna fish),also Industries like Pacifico Beer, Marino Coffee, shipyards and many other manufacturing plants. Even though, many people think that Mazatlan is a little fishing village, but it is more then that.................[/FONT]

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Anyone coming down and need information?

Any of you planning to come to Mazatlan or do not know where to go? Ask me! I like to answer questions.

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
The Golden zone....

I am sure that many here about the Golden zone and do not have a clue of what it is. Well the Golden zone is a certain area North of Mazatlan where all the big Hotels, shops, jewelry stores, boutiques and restaurants are. It was called that way in the 70´s because they wanted a new area for Hotels, similar to la Zona Rosa (pink zone) in Mexico City, but with a different color. I would say it should be the Green zone, because many things are in US dollars, hahaha, just joking.
But, if you are going there, you will find great jewelry stores like PARDO (Fire opals), Pacific Jewelry, Diamonds International, Diamond Marquis, Maya (Great real Talavera) and many many little shops selling from t-shirts to silver. Some of the Hotels are in the Golden zone and some away. The Golden zone is not downtown though, downtown is further south.

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Shopping places

While you are in Mazatlan, the best places to buy groceries are the big Super Markets like Mega Comercial (at La Gran Plaza Mall), Gigante (by the Bull Ring), Sams Club (by La Gran Plaza), Walmart (close to Volkswagen), Soriana (two locations) and Ley (4 locations). If you like shopping the Old way, we have the main Mercado (Pino Suarez). Of course, close to most of the resorts, we have mini marts with maxi prices. For Liquor and wines, I suggest either Sams club, Walmart or Casa Arias, which has a great selection and is very close to the Aquarium on the Malecon (Avenida del Mar).
A little help for the Newbies in Mazatlan..

Mazatlan Frank

dmahanay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank,

We are going to PV for first 2 wks of November and are thinking of planning a side trip to Mazatlan. Can you suggest a hotel for one or two nights. What is your opinion on the safety of driving from PV to Mazatlan (2 seniors)?

Doris

Reaction score
PV to MZT

Well I would say that you must be careful driving. There is a mountain range as you leave PV and it is a very windy road. I have travelled thru there many times. It takes me around 6 hours driving PV Mzt. Just be very careful and try to leave PV early so you get here at a good time. I am sure that you will really enjoy Mazatlan a lot! There are nice Hotels, what star rate are you looking for? 3, 4 , 5 star? Let me know and I will let you know. If there is anything else I can help you with, please ask.

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
La Gran Plaza

If you want to go to the shopping mall, we have a nice one that is called La Gran Plaza. It has a Mega (which is like a Walmart), a nice Department store and also Movie cinemas, Recorcholis (video games, very nice!) for kids, Sanborns (a chain of nice restaurants and stores), a fast food area (including Burger King and Dairy queen) and many other little shops. This is not a tourist mall, you will find things that we locals buy, like sandals, shoes, cloths, food, etc. It is all air conditioned so that is great! Specially for these months. If you like to go there, just tell the taxi driver to take you to La Gran Plaza. It is also 5 minutes away from the Golden zone, next to Sams Club. Enjoy it!

Mazatlan Frank

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airport to Resort

Hi Frank:

I just posted a question to you under 'Mexico'.

We are arriving in Mazatlan on Nov. 11th and wonder your opinion of the best way to get to Mayan Sea Gardens from the airport and return?

Is there a shuttle do you know or is the taxi the best way?

Thanks Frank

Reaction score
Airport Taxi

There are taxis at the airport to take you there, but also you can prehire the service. I know of a company that does the roundtrip to the Mayan Seagarden for $25us per person. If you want more information email me at fkole2000@hotmail.com

I hope that I can help you.

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Hola amigos

Hola amigos
I just wanted to let you know that I have been a little busy and have not had time to post information. If you do have questions please ask or email me direct with the questions. I check my email several times a day.

Have a great week!

Mazatlan Frank

Reaction score
Hola amigos!!

I am back and see that I am way in the back. I hope that I can keep on giving you information and answering questions. If anyone has any, please ask! Have a great evening!

Mazatlan Frank

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
La Gran Plaza

Every time I've been to La Gran Plaza, one thing intrigues me, something that Frank might not notice. There are at least five (and maybe more) small stores that carry a variety of inexpensive cosmetics and beauty aids. I've found that I can get lip glosses for the kids in fun designs there, and also eye shadow brushes, special razors for arching your eyebrows, and many other things. They are fun places to shop.

There are also a couple of stores that just sell Mexican candy, in many varieties...I think these are actually party stores, I'm not sure, but they are fun to look around in.

Then there is Mega. Part grocery store, part hardware, part soft goods, and more. Kinda like a "Super K-Mart." I've gotten interesting bath towels there, and also the best pot holders I've ever had. They are shaped like butterfiles, and good for getting stuff out of the microwave. They are well stuffed and I wish I had another pair.

Fern

Mazatlan Frank said:
If you want to go to the shopping mall, we have a nice one that is called La Gran Plaza. It has a Mega (which is like a Walmart), a nice Department store and also Movie cinemas, Recorcholis (video games, very nice!) for kids, Sanborns (a chain of nice restaurants and stores), a fast food area (including Burger King and Dairy queen) and many other little shops. This is not a tourist mall, you will find things that we locals buy, like sandals, shoes, cloths, food, etc. It is all air conditioned so that is great! Specially for these months. If you like to go there, just tell the taxi driver to take you to La Gran Plaza. It is also 5 minutes away from the Golden zone, next to Sams Club. Enjoy it!

Mazatlan Frank