• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie who still has time to change mind...Need some input...

EliseRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just signed up for 2500 points with SVC yesterday in the Western region. Since we were shopping vacation clubs and never went in with any intention of buying I didn't do much research prior to going to the presentation.

Now...I am finding all kinds of negative posts about SVC. I also note that I can rarely find negatives listed about Hilton or Disney. So I would like to get some feedback while I am still in my 7 day post contract period and can cancel the contract.
Some of my concerns:
1.) I specifically asked about availability of rooms for members vs the general public. Of course I got the 'no problem' answer. Now I see frequent posts about people directly calling the resorts and being told there are available studios, suites etc., then calling SVC only to be told there are no 'member' rooms available. What are your experiences?

2.) I specifically asked about any other fees we might come across and was told none. Then I get the book and it says there are housekeeping and transaction fees. Re; house keeping, does this mean I will have to pay a housekeeping fee everytime we stay a night or two somewhere?

3.) Rollover...again..specific question re; this and told we can roll points over for up to 4 years. Then we get the paperwork in the post sale book that specifically says you can roll your points over to next year but must use by end of next use year. This is a far cry from 4 years. What has your experience been?

4.) Some really really bad property reviews...have you ever used your points only to find the property is 'a ghetto'?

5.) Points...they (of course) pointed out that we could stay at all these properties for a week with the 2500 points...well, we got the post sale book and 2 nights in a so-so reviewed san francisco hotel takes up all the points we have plus a bit.

6.) They kept saying that they had relationships with Carnival and Carnival cruises just bought by Princess (Princess has some superior routes) so we would get deals for both. See no cruise deals at all. Do you find this to be true?

7.) Dollars for points...I disucssed the fact that we like to stay at little bed and breakfasts and didn't see any listed. Was told we can pay with the 'dollars for points' program. After getting the after sale info book it appears that it would take all our points to get less than $500 which of course is no use. What do you all do?

They also said that they get 'significant' air fare discounts by using the svc travel. They gave an example of airfare to Hawaii, and having just checked this thru various resources I know that the figure they gave is almost half of what I found online. Do you find this to be true??

I really appreciate your help & input!! Thanks!

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I would like to get some feedback while I am still in my 7 day post contract period and can cancel the contract.

I'll answer your specific questions below as best as I can, but first let me say that I find SVC to be a great system; however not at developer prices IMO. You can obtain SVC points on the resale market for $1-2 per point, so I would recommend that you rescind your purchase and seek to buy your points on the resale market. Also, read this complete thread on Shell Vacation Clubs(http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44941) as it gives you the answers to some of your questions. With respect to opinions about Hilton or Disney, others on this board have more experience with these systems, but the system you choose really depends on your lifestyle, where you like to travel, etc. We would never buy into Disney, but then we have no kids, and visiting Disney once was enough for us. We like Shell's upscale luxury resorts, and like their locations in Hawaii and on the west coast. IMO, Shell is equivalent to the Hilton, Marriotts, etc., but just a different focus.

1.) I specifically asked about availability of rooms for members vs the general public. Of course I got the 'no problem' answer. Now I see frequent posts about people directly calling the resorts and being told there are available studios, suites etc., then calling SVC only to be told there are no 'member' rooms available. What are your experiences?
This has not been my experience. When booking full weeks, we call early in the booking window, and have always received what we want. To book partial weeks, you usually have to wait till about 4 months out, and we travel to San Francisco for "weekends" all the time, no problem.

2.) I specifically asked about any other fees we might come across and was told none. Then I get the book and it says there are housekeeping and transaction fees. Re; house keeping, does this mean I will have to pay a housekeeping fee everytime we stay a night or two somewhere?
You are entitled to 2 transactions fee per year, and a certain number of free housekeepings based on the number of points you have. Read the SVC thread thoroughly (link above), this question is answered.

3.) Rollover...again..specific question re; this and told we can roll points over for up to 4 years. Then we get the paperwork in the post sale book that specifically says you can roll your points over to next year but must use by end of next use year. This is a far cry from 4 years. What has your experience been?
Again, go back to the SVC knowledge thread. You can extend the life of your points substantially by rolling them over into the RCI system, but I'm sure your over-zealous salesperson neglected to explain the details to you. :)

4.) Some really really bad property reviews...have you ever used your points only to find the property is 'a ghetto'?
The experiences of members on this board are actually quite the opposite - most find them to be beautiful and luxurious. The one thing I can say is that in our experience, SVC resorts are upscale and very well taken care of. SVC tends not to build their own resorts, but buy existing resorts and renovate them. Sometimes, they only buy part of the resort. It is possible that the reviews you speak of refer to the older or non-Shell portions of the resort.

5.) Points...they (of course) pointed out that we could stay at all these properties for a week with the 2500 points...well, we got the post sale book and 2 nights in a so-so reviewed san francisco hotel takes up all the points we have plus a bit.
Yeah, well that's what they don't tell you in the sales spiel. Depending on the time of the year and the size of the unit, point requirements vary. As an example, a studio at the Donatello is 5,150 points in high season, but just a weekend in the same period is 2,300. IMO, you need at least 6,000 points if you want a 1-bedroom week just about anywhere in high season.

They also said that they get 'significant' air fare discounts by using the svc travel. They gave an example of airfare to Hawaii, and having just checked this thru various resources I know that the figure they gave is almost half of what I found online. Do you find this to be true??
Sorry, can't help you with this one as I've never used this service. Perhaps other TUGgers will chime in.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no specific answers, but the general concensus here is never buy from the developer. Resale is better. Cruises can always be had cheaper on the net. Salespeople lie any way they can. The papers you have are gospel. Rescind. You can always buy resale later.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim Ricks

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel!!!!

I agree - the best course of action for someone in your position is to rescind. You can always go back and buy it again. But I believe if you spend some time researching the issue you will realize that buying a TS is not a good deal unless you get a real bargain at resale.

Now that the economy is weak, you can get some great bargains on vacatons. Why be locked up in a TS concept?

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please rescind, decide how you would like to travel, and research the different programs/resorts/types of ownership that most meets your needs, then purchase RESALE....

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND, RESCIND, and be thankful that it isn't too late to RESCIND! Never buy from a developer, buy resale, and only buy resale after doing your research to make sure the price you are paying is cheap and the resort or resort group is the right fit for you.

When you rescind make sure that you send the letter registered mail signature required so you have proof of the date they received it. Several here on TUG are knowledgable on how to rescind so the resort can't say they never got it, or that they received it too late to rescind. Never trust the developer because they will do anything they can to try and hold you to that contract.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You have just this one chance to rescind. DO IT!!! You'll have many, many opportunities to buy after you've done your research, but you'll never have another chance to rescind on this particular purchase unless you take it now.

Emi

TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND immediately and make sure you get acknowledgement documented. First of all, you can buy resale at SVC for less than $1 a point even in Hawaii. Each "club" contains only certain resorts and if you bought outside of Hawaii, you probably did not get the Hawaii deed. It is not a wide open field where you can make a reservation for whatever you want "with just a phone call" You need to spend some time and learn the advantages and disadvantages of each club.

The sales person was not up front with the answers he gave you.

This is becoming true with most clubs. The inventory they own and unsold as well as inventory owners may have turned in for travel benefits are theirs to use or rent as they wish

you need to find out the devil in the detail of the club to compare. some clubs nickel and dime for services and others charge a higher club fee in the maintenance so you need to ask and not just what is in the book as fees

I do not know SVC well but 4 years sounds suspicious. When you roll over points, it becomes a liability for the club for accounting purposes. It is doubtful they would hold this liability for 4 years.

Not all clubs have the same caliber and they usually only show you the best resort to sell you. check out each website and read TUG reviews on the ones that you are interested in going to

They sold you the smallest package and led you to think the world is open to you. not a honest sales person

6.) They kept saying that they had relationships with Carnival and Carnival cruises just bought by Princess (Princess has some superior routes) so we would get deals for both. See no cruise deals at all. Do you find this to be true?

another stretching of the truth. Carnival bought Princess around 3 years ago. Can you get a cruise with 2500 points? don't think so. also, you usually have to pay a "club" price for the cruise and this amount is not much different than what you can find on the cruise internet sites.

7.) Dollars for points...I disucssed the fact that we like to stay at little bed and breakfasts and didn't see any listed. Was told we can pay with the 'dollars for points' program. After getting the after sale info book it appears that it would take all our points to get less than $500 which of course is no use. What do you all do?

Don't buy a timeshare to stay in B&B. Buy a timeshare only if you plan to stay there not for all the other "promised" benefits

Again the fares the clubs can get you is no different than buying throught he airline. He must have given you a bogus quote on the ticket to Hawaii.

Good luck.

You need to learn more about timeshares before you buy.

CatLovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello again Elise. You posted an almost duplicate question in the All Other Timeshare Systems section under the Shell Vacation Club (SVC) Points Knowledge thread. Be aware that duplicate posts are frowned upon on this Board (but I realize that you are a newbie :) )

EDited by moderator: I deleted her post in the SVC FAQ threads and moved CatLovers response to this thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don't wait. Your ONE chance is fading fast

You have already got great advice above. Take the truly limited, one time offer (unlike those they may have tried to make you think applied to the sales offer this one really is ONE TIME) to rescind your contract - NOW!

You can buy from the Developer at that price (or less) anytime. You can buy resale at a MUCH lower cost anytime. You can undo what is most likely a decision you will regret forever at NO COST to you ONCE. Take that chance - don't let it slip by or you will own the time, the associated costs and, should you then decide it isn't right for you, the frustrating need to sell what you bought that won't be easy and will sell for far less than you paid.

Listen to the advice and rescind while you can.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Shell resorts are really nice, so you should definitely rescind and buy resale. Or buy something else and trade where you want to go.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We just signed up for 2500 points with SVC yesterday in the Western region. Since we were shopping vacation clubs and never went in with any intention of buying I didn't do much research prior to going to the presentation.

I really appreciate your help & input!! Thanks!

Just thought I'd comment about this.

You can generally use points for three years. ( and a fourth by using them to trade with an exchnage company)

2009 points can be used in 2008 by borrowing from 2009
2009 points can be used in 2009
2009 points can be used in 2010 by banking them to 2009
2009 points may be used in 2011 if you deposit them into RCI and use them within the "2 years after checkin" time period

Note: This is generally true of most, but not all, point based TS. It may not be true with SVC but I think it is.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
You probably get the idea - rescind and buy resale. Example: 7050 Shell HAWAII points recently sold on eBay for roughly $2200. You do the math. On your other questions, I have to say that we've always been pleased with both the Shell accommodations and the service from their Shell10 number. No, the resorts aren't as palatial as some (that are more like Las Vegas), but they've always been immaculate, spacious, comfortable, and attractive. You might want to browse eBay a bit just to compare costs and maintenance fees, though I get the feeling that the posted fees are approximate. Shell's may be a little on the high side. Or not. -Zach

Last edited:

EliseRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all...I will rescind

I appreciate all the advice and will rescind and look for resale. I believe it will give us more points so we can actually have the vacation we want ...and for an affordable price. I will look up the appropriate rescind info in the contract and send letter registered.

Wondering...if you buy resale do you still get to use the option to buy 'dash away points'?

PS ...My apologies for the dupe posts :)

Elise

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Welcome to TUG! :) There is so much knowledge here about Shell, but the first thing you can do is learn from this "knowledge" thread:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44941

Catlovers spent a lot of time on the advice, and I found it very informative when I was considering Shell points. I chose against the points, but only because we decided to go in another direction.

taffy19

Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice and will rescind and look for resale. I believe it will give us more points so we can actually have the vacation we want ...and for an affordable price. I will look up the appropriate rescind info in the contract and send letter registered.

Wondering...if you buy resale do you still get to use the option to buy 'dash away points'?

PS ...My apologies for the dupe posts :)

Elise
You are wise to rescind while you can :) and I wouldn't rush into buying a re-sale either until you understand what you are buying. Buying a timeshare is a lot easier than selling one even at a big loss. Prices may even go lower yet with gasoline and airfares so expensive right now. I hope it will not last but I am not so sure as more and more people want to drive and travel. Take it easy! :p

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to keep a copy of your rescission letter along with the receipt frrom the post office showing that they received your letter.

When you buy a timeshare, whether it is weeks or points, make sure the deeded or home week is at a location you would like to vacation at every year. You can exchange weeks or points for many great and varied locations, but if the demand for a place you requested is so high that you can't get in there on points or exchange you can always stay at your home resort. If you buy at a place you love, you will be happy. Watch e-bay for a while to get a feel of the prices different places are selling for. Also read TUG reviews on any resort you are interested in. Even better rent a week at a resort from TUG or Redweek.com and stay there before you buy to make sure it is what you want. Also hit the search button here on the threads and enter any resort or points system you are interested in and it will pull up a lot of information from past posts.

You have saved yourself a lot of money by asking about rescinding here on TUG. TUG has saved me a lot of money and headaches too. Welcome.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score

Elise

I THINK so. You can go into the Shell website and look some of that up. It seemed to me that there are only two restrictions on resale points - (a) you can't use them for Elite status, and (b) something I can't remember (happens a lot). In any event, the savings in the Dash-Away points wouldn't come close to making up for the "retail" purchase price. Why spend a dollar to save a dime?

Enjoy your researching. Lots of good sites out there, including some exchange sites that may blunt the need to own points. With one exception, we always found RCI to be a pain in the tush (but that gets into another story......) but Shell has always been quite helpful. But, like with all things, there's a price to be paid.

--------Zach

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Addendum: Emi's earlier comment about learning more about timeshares - There's an excellent read on Tom Tubbs' website www.timesharestogo.com. It's called something like 'Timeshares 101'. Well-written and helps you decipher the BS (sounds like you got a lot of it in your presentation) nicely.

Good luck.

----Zach

hfmarche

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question on resale transactions >>

I've checked out a few forums on the board - Buying, Selling, Renting ...the Newbie section...then here, but I haven't been able to find informations that covers the process of actually transfering points from a resale into your account?

For example - what forms to file, etc. I found a person that just wants to get rid of his timeshare & is selling his SVC points (3500) for $100. The MF are $765.......There's no comparison to what they wanted at The Legacy here in Phoenix. The seller says he has a form that will transfer the points to my account. He's offered to pay the transfer fee.....
Do we still have to do a 'title transfer'?

I've gone over Catlovers information & advice several times (VERY good!) but still need a little more direction......I tried to contact Shell for answers , but they kept telling me to contact the sales people at The Legacy. What department or division should I be directing my inquires to?? You could tell right away the customer service person that I was speaking to had no idea what I was talking about.

** update >> after a few more hours of searching --- I DID find my answers. Located answers on the 'Buying, Selling, Renting forum ... How to Sell a Timeshare. I was able to have most of my questions resolved.

.... I still need practice getting around the site & there's so much information here!

p.s. MUCH THANKS to Catlovers and the rest of you with suggestions. I know a lot of time was spent writing up the post & researching !! I REALLY appreciate it and find it helpful!!

Last edited: