• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ticket prices changing by the minute

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you find that while your searching to find the best price for a ticket, it can go up.

This is what I am experiencing. I searched directly with the airline, got the price, chose a different day (thinking if I was flexible, I could get a better deal) then went back to the original date, and the flight was $50 more.

Whats up with that......:doh:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto, I usually check several different sites or go to www.bestfares.com or airline comparison sites.

toni3063

TUG Member
Reaction score
That very thing happened to me last week. I checked fares on Orbitz, AA was the lowest, then I went to aa.com... they showed the same price (less $5 service fee) as Orbitz, I checked several different departure times trying to decide which one would work best for me... went to book... and presto... the fare went up $50.00! I spent 15 minutes trying to get the old fare to show again... it never did. I went back to Orbitz and booked at the original fare price.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, something must/might be happening with cookies. My DH just had the EXACT thing happen. He was talking to me on the phone, checking possible flights and when he went back to the origonal flight it had gone up $50. What are the chances that this is all coincidental??

I won't have the detail quite right but I read a thread here (?) about Priceline (?) price going up $X between looks and someone said it was due to them placing cookies on your computer. Delete the cookies and the price goes back. Wonder if the airlines are doing the same thing?? DH was on Delta...

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't have the detail quite right but I read a thread here (?) about Priceline (?) price going up $X between looks and someone said it was due to them placing cookies on your computer. Delete the cookies and the price goes back. Wonder if the airlines are doing the same thing?? DH was on Delta...

How do you clear your cookies????

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clearing Cookies

The only way I know how is to go to your tool bar (near top of current page), click on TOOLS, click on INTERNET OPTIONS, click on BROWSING HISTORY, and then finally, click on DELETE COOKIES (and confirm action).

I will add that your steps may be different from mine. Heck, my steps are different than they were a few weeks ago when I had to have this computer completely re-done. This new operating system and/or software is different than my old one. Going to TOOLs is the same however so start there and just click on everything until you find the right place that allows you to delete cookies/temporary files (the temp files is where the cookies that these sneaky websites put on your computer hang out).

I am not a computer guru so am just sharing what I do. If anyone more knowledgable can chime in on a better way, please do!

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks jlwquilter

I think that works, because now today the ticket is back down. I am not sure if it is back to the original price I first seen, but it is $35 cheaper than the higher price yesterday.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing prices

this happened to me on US Airways I looked in the morning and then in the afternoon, the tickets went up 100 a piece and according to the seating chart the plane was almost empty

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though I had read that Priceline (?) cookies thread comment I never put it together when my DH said the flight price had gone up $50 in mere minutes. I certainly will next time! Luckily, this was a business trip so regardless of what he (the company) ended up paying, at least it wasn't out of MY pocket!

This is just one more thing for savvy buyers to learn in order to get the best deals possible. Goodness, I learn alot from TUG!

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
this happened to me on US Airways I looked in the morning and then in the afternoon, the tickets went up 100 a piece and according to the seating chart the plane was almost empty

$100 each?? Wow. Maybe US Airways is greedier than the other sites.

I say "maybe" as I/we don't really know what's causing the price jumps but I still think it's too coincidental to not be happening due to cookie tracking or something similar. :crash:

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
Another possible reason for the change in ticket prices is your activity on the airline's website. When you are 'working' to find the best fare, you are pulling seats out of inventory and when you go to actually book a fare, there not be any seats left in that particular fare bucket because you pulled them out on previous searches. Try waiting for 30-45 minutes and there's a good chance that those seats for a given fare bucket will have been returned to that fare bucket.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
I have been searching for two months for an 11 day car rental for mid July in Park City. The prices seem to go up not down. At first I thought I was searching too far out from my travel date and that the prices might go down a bit for a time and then rise again. But the opposite seems to be happening. Does anyone think this could be the cookie issue. If so I will have to do a lot of deleting since I sometimes search several times a day. Yikes!

J

JoeMid

Do you find that while your searching to find the best price for a ticket, it can go up.

This is what I am experiencing. I searched directly with the airline, got the price, chose a different day (thinking if I was flexible, I could get a better deal) then went back to the original date, and the flight was $50 more.

Whats up with that......:doh:

Supply & Demand in 5 minutes???? They really do get you.
They change their prices about three times a day AND they may have only only two seats at the low price you saw, if one gets sold and you want two you get the next higher price for both of yours. Doesn't matter how full the plane is, it matters how many seats they have or had at the lowest price.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for two months for an 11 day car rental for mid July in Park City. The prices seem to go up not down. At first I thought I was searching too far out from my travel date and that the prices might go down a bit for a time and then rise again. But the opposite seems to be happening. Does anyone think this could be the cookie issue. If so I will have to do a lot of deleting since I sometimes search several times a day. Yikes!

I am searching for a car rental for Sedona, mid to end of June. The rates I've seen were the same for several weeks (so no cookie issues) and just popped up a few bucks yesterday. From what I've read here, the tactic is to reserve early at the best rate available, then check a few times a week, until a few weeks before the "go date"... then check several times a day and hope for a special as maybe the car rental places will see they have a glut of cars.

What I am thinking overall is that we'll see an increase is the use of cookies by alot of selling sites (airlines, cars, hotels, etc) to "manage" prices offered to internet buyers. Deleting cookies on a regular basis or when using specific sites literally takes a few seconds so why not do it to potentially save $$?? No harm done if it doesn't effect the price.