• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about Kauai Marriott Waiohai

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert! Is the Hyatt on that side of the resort and is it visible? Any palm trees visible besides an asphalt parking lot?

The Hyatt is down the road, I don't think you can see it from the Marriott.
I was under the impression it was close and walking distance from the Marriott. It's a pretty long walk.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I could not get Hale 1 or 8 or those few rooms mentioned in Hale 2, I personally would NOT want oceanview. Hale 7 overlooks a parking lot and everything else in too far away to be considered oceanview.

See here.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is over one mile away on a busy street.

The Hyatt is down the road, I don't think you can see it from the Marriott.
I was under the impression it was close and walking distance from the Marriott. It's a pretty long walk.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
thinze3,

That aerial photo is excellent and your advice is very helpful. I'm calling now to request your suggestions. Tuggers Rock!

I will let you know where we end up next Saturday. Thanks!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Is the Hyatt on that side of the resort and is it visible? Any palm trees visible besides an asphalt parking lot?

Yes, no, and yes (and have a wonderful trip).

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert,

I am really excited; first time to Hawaii and looking forward to each hour!

divenski

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is over one mile away on a busy street.

It is about a mile away, but I walk to or near the Hyatt every year I go. However, instead of walking along Poipu Road, it's a nicer walk to stay near the ocean and pass through some of the residential areas and/or the cliffs in front of the Sunterra TS.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt from Waiohai

That would make it a bit longer walk but obviously much more scenic. We walked that direction ourselves and turned around well before the Hyatt. I would like to finish that walk next time we are there. :D

It is about a mile away, but I walk to or near the Hyatt every year I go. However, instead of walking along Poipu Road, it's a nicer walk to stay near the ocean and pass through some of the residential areas and/or the cliffs in front of the Sunterra TS.

Kazakie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I could not get Hale 1 or 8 or those few rooms mentioned in Hale 2, I personally would NOT want oceanview. Hale 7 overlooks a parking lot and everything else in too far away to be considered oceanview.

See here.

We were in Hale 4 (the furthest from the ocean) - Ocean View. It's the only building that's parallel to the ocean and have a great view of the entire grounds as well as some of the water (none of them are OceanFront) and very convenient for parking and coming and going. When we go back, that's our first choice.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I consider that an inside room, not really oceanview. As I stated above, all inside rooms are great. If you can get an inside room, that is also considered oceanview, that's even better. The lagoon down by Hale 4 is beautiful. The distance from the beach is a few steps more, however.

Hale rooms 8302 & 04 have an elevator next door that takes you to basement parking. You will never be more than 150 feet away from your car. The parking there is excellent as the car remains covered as well. IMO

We were in Hale 4 (the furthest from the ocean) - Ocean View. It's the only building that's parallel to the ocean and have a great view of the entire grounds as well as some of the water (none of them are OceanFront) and very convenient for parking and coming and going. When we go back, that's our first choice.

seatrout

Reaction score
We were there 2 months ago in building 5 Gardenview. I just requested anything but "garbage can" view. We initially was given a "acessible" room in the main building overlooking the pool. the acessible room are funky unless you needed it as the counter are all of difference height and there are no big whirpool tub. So we swich to another room in building 5.

In the end, all this worry about view may not means much unless you plan to be in the room much of the time and stare out the window. We were always out on the road, the beach, or the pool-- so by the time we get back in the room, it is dark anyway.

Buy some frozen peas. Then go to the reef on the right of the resort and feed the fish. It is so much easier to have the fish come to you while snorkeling with the kids. I was able to lure them to about 2feet of water so that the kids can watch. If you have the energy, sign up for surfing lesson in the begining of the trip. Then you have the rest of the week to practice.

Also take the drive past the Hyatt on the dirt road and walk to the cliff there. It is quite beautiful in the evening.
We had lunch at the Hyatt property in one of the restaurant that was surrounded by coy fish. You will need a car to get there.

In theory, you can do anything at 6wk pregnant- but I would avoid horseback and ATV. that way you would not blame the trip if something happen later.

Also the drive to the Canyon as well as the drive toward Hanena will give you all the scenic view you want sitting in the car with little hiking. We have a todler and two 7/8 year old kids- so we didn't do any hiking of sort.

have fun

Triet

Last edited:

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're here in 4404 and it's great! Thanks for all your advice. We're going to the owner's meeting on Tuesday if you have any questions.

I didn't realize internet is FREE! GREAT!

And a little discussed topic, the toilet tissue is soft enough. There have been times where I buy my own. Thank you Waiohai owners!

I called to have two repairs done immediately; I'm more conscientious of these joint properities than my own house!

A little help with the language: Is "aloha" thanks, goodbye, hello or just what and how is it different than "mahola"? (Not sure i spelled that correctly) Thanks,

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
aloha - hello , goodbye, love, friendship (used for all these)
mahalo - thank you

Greg

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane

You guys have to try Keoke's, just across the highway, one block west of Waiohai. It was our favorite. :clap:

For a more local feel, go to the town of Kapa'a, just north of Lihue, and eat at Bull Shed. It is right on the water and has good food for a fair price - lots of locals.

Enjoy :D

auntdef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Local , cheap eats that are delicious.....Mark's Place (take out only) in the Puhi Industrial Park. Don't be turned off by the location....remember you are bringing the food back 'home'.....and there is plenty left over for lunch the next day although my dh doesn't do leftovers :shrug:

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved the recommended Italian place that is about a 5 min drive away. Can't think of the name but definitely try the 5 cheese risotto appetizer! YUMMO!!!

dhole

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't miss the Puka dogs

Don't forget to visit the shopping center across the road and slightly west to experience the unique flavors of the "Puka Dog" A hot dog in a crusty bun with exotic flavored sauce...mmmmmmm,,,,,,,tasty........

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the food suggestions! And thinze3, you're right! When I walked down to the beach yesterday morning for the first time, all I kept saying was "WOW" because the waves were so spectacular! There was a spray that went backwards from them and someone told me that's an indication of "riptide" and they had not seen the waves break so far out before and they'd been coming for 5 years, twice a year.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Don't forget to visit the shopping center across the road and slightly west to experience the unique flavors of the "Puka Dog" A hot dog in a crusty bun with exotic flavored sauce...mmmmmmm,,,,,,,tasty........

Yum.... I can taste them now. I normally don't like hot dogs very often but if I could I'd have one of these everyday.

I love the pizza at Brick Oven Pizza about 20 minutes North. It is very good.

Retired to Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, Marriott Waiohai, Royal Caribbean
We loved the recommended Italian place that is about a 5 min drive away. Can't think of the name but definitely try the 5 cheese risotto appetizer! YUMMO!!!

It's called Casa di Amici, very tasty and cozy, but hard to find. Get good directions!

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's called Casa di Amici, very tasty and cozy, but hard to find. Get good directions!

That's the one! Boy was it fantastic. Very romantic! Loved it and when we go back in 2009, we are definitely eating there again!

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I could be wrong but I thought that Waiohai didn't have 'ocean front' just 'ocean view' and 'island view'.

Yes, you are correct they only have oceanview or garden view.