• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading power of 1 BR Country Club Villas - Surfside Beach, SC (week 14)

HPage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

We are currently waiting to close on a 1 BR week #14 of the above (week #14 is listed as a red week on II/RCI) . I realize that the above is not in Myrtle Beach (just south of) or on the ocean, but it is a Spring week which occasionally may fall on Easter/Spring break and would be good for golfers (I believe). Also when you stay there you get two free greens fees/tee times per day at a limited number of golf courses in the area. My long drawn out question is we'll probably use this to trade into Orlando more times than not and was wondering if I'm setting myself up for dissappointment hoping we can trade into DVC with this (taking a 1 BR or studio at any location on property with depositing it hopefully a year or more in advance). We're probably looking at between June trough late August from here on out for vacations since my son starts kindergarten this year. Thanks for any insight!

-Heather

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bad news....

If you are really hoping use this timeshare to trade into DVC, especially when kids are on vacation from school, I believe you will be disappointed - big time! You may well be able to trade for something in the Orlando area, but not a top resort during school vacations.

"Red" doesn't necessarily mean red versus pink or even some lower ranked color. Many red weeks trade very poorly, depending on the resort and the specific week. Yes, your week will match spring vacation in some years, but it's still not a top week, since South Carolina isn't a top destination in April for families with kids.

You are buying at a resort that isn't well rated by TUGgers and, presumably, isn't high up on most people's lists of places to stay.

Since you are buying this timeshare to exchange for school vacation time, I would strongly consider trying to get out of the purchase, if you can do so without losing too much money.

HPage

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents own a red week here (although 2BR) and have been able to trade into decent enough places in Orlando with it (maybe not DVC) so for what we're paying for it, it will pay for itself on our first trade. Not to mention that I love a good challenge so I'll do my darndest (sp) to get the best trade possible through II (once we join that is). My thinking also was if we end up buying back into DVC (we use to own at the Boardwalk) then my husband can just have this week at CC Villas to golf and get away every year. Of course then the big decision will be - should we buy back into DVC at the Beach Club Villas or wait and see if the big DVC Contemporary rumor pans out. Thanks very much for your advice and candor!

-Heather

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What week do your parents own? If, for example, they own a week between 25 and 34, their week will run circles around yours when it comes to exchanging. Also, a 2BR, much more in demand, especially in the summer, will almost always trade much better than a 1BR.

Sorry to rain on your exciting purchase. I hope others will disagree with me! :)

HPage

TUG Member
Reaction score
They own Memorial Week there (between both biker weeks) so I guess that could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask I guess). I don't know, I think as long as we can trade here or there in a decent place in Orlando for a 1BR and even a studio (and to me, decent in Orlando could be Orbit One, Polynesian Isles, Villas at Parkway - maybe dreaming for Horizons?) then It will all work out. Again, I'd pretty much looked at using this to trade for maybe a year or two then throwing it as scraps to my husband for an extra golf week (doesn't take much to make him happy) and taking the plunge again with DVC. Keep the opinions coming I can handle them :).

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Once you are a member of II (Interval International) you should be able to pick up a cash "Getaway" week at Marriott's Horizons or Marriott's Cypress Harbour pretty easily if you can go the beginning of June (right after school lets out). Friends of ours purchased a getaway week at Cypress Harbour in early June for around $500 for a 2 bedroom for the whole week. Horizons was right around that price, but the Getaways booked up quick because of the popularity of their terrific themed swimming pools/slides for kids.

Marriott's Horizons and Cypress Harbour remind us of Disney's Old Key West with the pastel buildings and Key West Florida feel. They are favorites of ours when we're not staying on our DVC points.

HPage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip littlestar! :)

HPage

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm past the time period to rescind. Like I said (please read about "worst case scenario" of husband getting as a golf week for himself if doesn't work out for Orlando trade), we'll be able to find something to trade into we can live with it. Thanks again.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Some friends of ours had to sell their DVC points a few years ago (job loss and a business failure) and they've used a couple of II's Getaways (courtesy of us) until they are able to buy back into DVC again.

We were able to book them a Marriott Grande Vista studio back last winter for around $250.00 for the week and a Sheraton Vistana Villages (Starwood Vacation Club's newest resort in Orlando) 2 bedroom for under $400.00 for the week. It has definitely helped soften the blow of having no DVC points for the time being.

I think the Contemporary will happen. I just don't know when -;)