• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harry Potter- Discussion with spoilers

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So How Many Horcruxes?

Voldemort was shooting for 7. Did he really make 8 by mistake?

1) Diary
2) Ring
3) Locket
4) Cup
5) Diadem
6) Harry
7) Voldemort himself (technically not a Horcrux but counts as one of the resting spots for pieces of his shattered soul)

8) Snake?? because Voldemort didn't know Harry was a Horcrux.

Do you think this should have been addressed within the story? How having 8 vs. 7 maybe changed things? Voldemort weaker? Or how 7 wasn't really a magic number anyway and 7 vs. 8 vs. 2 vs. 15 didn't matter? Rowlings just picked a good number to hunt down to keep the story moving/interesting? Too few would not give enough action, too many would be long and ultimatley boring...?

Sigh...I need to get a life! LOL!

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because the Elder Wand is like the father of all wands, the master wand. Harry's wand couldn't be fixed by human hands, but it could be fixed by this one all-powerful wand, handled by its true owner.

I think it was maybe because the Elder Wand was supposedly Death's wand (in the fable) and only Death's wand has the power to undo death (of an inaminate magical object that is). It was said that maybe the wand (and the other Hallows) were made by the brothers themeselvs and the legend grew up around that, but maybe the legend was true after all. We are talking about a magic world after all!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What about Rowlings claim that she is done writing for good? If this is true, then someone else would have to take over writing the stories. It's certainly been done before!

There was something in our paper this morning where she said she is going to write a kind of Harry Potter "encyclopedia" that will give additional background information on the characters as well as what they did after the 7th book. She said it's pretty much already written as she has the information in the notes she's been keeping all along. :D

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Voldemort was shooting for 7. Did he really make 8 by mistake?

1) Diary
2) Ring
3) Locket
4) Cup
5) Diadem
6) Harry
7) Voldemort himself (technically not a Horcrux but counts as one of the resting spots for pieces of his shattered soul)

8) Snake?? because Voldemort didn't know Harry was a Horcrux.

Do you think this should have been addressed within the story? How having 8 vs. 7 maybe changed things? Voldemort weaker? Or how 7 wasn't really a magic number anyway and 7 vs. 8 vs. 2 vs. 15 didn't matter? Rowlings just picked a good number to hunt down to keep the story moving/interesting? Too few would not give enough action, too many would be long and ultimatley boring...?

Sigh...I need to get a life! LOL!

See, here's the thing. Everybody is saying that Harry was a Horcrux but I don't think he was. Yes, he had part of Voldemort's soul, and Voldemort had part of his, and we knew that several books ago, but their relationship is distinct from the Horcruxes and the way they were created and hidden.

Nagini the snake was a Horcrux--they know he is.

So Harry's not, Nagini is, and you still get seven.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The Horcrux wasn't Harry but Harry's scar. And since Voldemort himself can't be a Horcrux that is seven.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was the wailing, ugly thing that was on the floor when Harry was talking to Dumbledore after he had "died"? Was it the parts of Voldemort's soul that had already been destroyed?

I read somewhere that why some people become ghosts after they die and not others will be revealed in this book. Was it? Did I miss that?

I read a bunch of the spoilers posted online before the book came out. I thought one was real because the chapter titles looked right. That one said Beatrix killed Ron. So I read the entire book up until Beatrix died thinking that Ron was going to die. That serves me right for reading the spoilers! :rofl:

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally finished it so can chime in here. Thought the ending was just right. Even if Harry stayed dead, it would have been okay. I was happy that he did not have to do everything to save the day. Neville was there, and all the others who came charging in even after Voldemort took control. Harry just wasn't that good of a magician ever, which was fine. But he was an upright character. Hermione and Ron had their strengths too.
I don't really want to see a sequel. I suppose one could be that Draco tries to do something bad. He never turned out remorseful. Why was he the rightful owner of the Wand? All of a sudden he was at Harry's side at the final duel. And I also couldn't figure out who the whimpering creature was. AND who raised Teddy?

One more thing - did anyone cry? I did not. It was never sad to me, though comforting to see his parents. But I've met two women who cried at the end.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Patri

Harry got the wand because Draco Expelliarmused the wand from Dumbledore (at end of Half Blood Prince on the tower) and then Harry took Dracos wand at Malfoy Manor. The weak link is that Harry took Dracos original wand and not the Death stick so how did the wand "know" that Harry was now it's master (it was locked up in the vault with Dumbledore).

The screaming baby thing was Voldemorts soul- he had torn it so many times that it was now just a horrible baby thing and not a complete soul. Deformed by murder/evil I guess.

I would assume Teddys grandma raised him since Tonks and Lupin said they left him with her before the battle (Ted Tonks already killed on the run).

There were seven horcruxes. Voldemort himself isn't counted- so Harry was the seventh. Dumbledore had said at one point that Voldemort meant to make a seventh but thought he hadn't because he was interrupted by the curse destroying him when he tried to kill Harry. The book seems to say that Harry himself was the horcrux and not the scar. Also prior to the book coming out some people thought the scar would be gone at the end but if you read in the Epilogue he rubs the scar and says it hasn't bothered him for 19 years.

Didn't cry- but was the most sad at Dobby's death- more so that any of the humans funnily enough. Also I thought they said 2 characters died in the book- well I count many more major characters than 2. Moody, Ron's brother, Lupin, Tonks, Dobby, Snape, Voldemort, Colin Creevy, etc. I felt it was a few too many- especially considering a lot of children will be reading this. I suppose she felt it should show how bad the death eaters really were.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Take on the Horcruxes

What I remember is Dumbledore saying that Voldemort wanted his soul in 7 pieces...to get that magic number. The 7th piece had to reside in Voldemort's body. So 6 Horcruxes and the 7th in Voldemort. And Dumbeldore said a piece went into Harry when the killing curse backfired.

Diary, ring, locket, cup, diadem, Harry, Voldemort, snake = 8.

Dumbledore said the snake was probably one since Voldemort didn't know/count Harry as one. And I think the snake probably was one indeed.

I think Harry could be one without breaking the rules as Dumbledore said a living being could be a Horcrux (like the snake and by extension, Harry) but it would be unwise to trust a piece of soul into something that can act and think on it's own.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love is the Answer

I also thought it was interesting that love played a bigger role than the obvious.

Cissy Malfoy twice defied Voldemort because she loved her son Draco more than Voldemort...once when she went to Snape for the unbreakable vow and then at the end when she said Harry was dead and he wasn't, just to be able to get into the castle to find Draco. Bellatrix, who had no choldren, was always happy to tell others how she would have sacrificed her children for Voldemort and how proud they should be to do so...but the fact is, most (but alas, not all) parents will defy/fight ANYTHING to save their child.

Here's a question I have: at the end Phineas shouts out along the lines of "Let's not forget the role Slytherins played"... and what role was that?? I didn't see any of them (except Cissy Malfoy as noted above) fighting on the good guy's side...? What did I miss there?

I didn't cry but did get choked up when the parents/villagers and the house elves swarmed in at the end of the battle. Reminds me of the scene in Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang when that happens at the castle at the end too...hmmm...coincidence? Another English tale incorporated :)

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a question I have: at the end Phineas shouts out along the lines of "Let's not forget the role Slytherins played"... and what role was that?? I didn't see any of them (except Cissy Malfoy as noted above) fighting on the good guy's side...? What did I miss there?
:)

I assumed he was talking about Snape. Also, Professor Slughorn was fighting and Phineas' portrait helped Snape and Dumbledore by going back and forth between Grimmauld Place and Harry/Hermione on the run.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hated when Fred died. Fred and George were almost like one character because they were so close. It was hard to imagine George alone.

Snape's death and whole story was so sad. He loved Lily his whole life and no wonder he couldn't stand looking at Harry because he looked just like his most hated rival James Potter whom Lily chose in the end. When Snape's dying and he tells Harry "Look at me". It was the nearest I was to tears, going back and re-reading that scene after knowing the whole story. He wanted to die looking into Lily's eyes.

On another note. Was anyone else surprised that Lily and James were only 21 when they died? I knew they were young, but wow.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
On another note. Was anyone else surprised that Lily and James were only 21 when they died? I knew they were young, but wow.

Yes, I was surprised.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't cry- but was the most sad at Dobby's death- more so than any of the humans funnily enough. Also I thought they said 2 characters died in the book- well I count many more major characters than 2. Moody, Ron's brother, Lupin, Tonks, Dobby, Snape, Voldemort, Colin Creevy, etc. I felt it was a few too many- especially considering a lot of children will be reading this. I suppose she felt it should show how bad the death eaters really were.

I think she said that two characters ended up dieing that she had not planned when she started the series, yet one or two were saved that she had planned on dieing. This morning on the Today show (she'll be on there again tomorrow Friday and an NBC special Sunday evening) she said that Mr. Weasley was one that she had expected to die in Book 5.

Don't forget that Hedwig didn't make it, and I don't think I'm the only reader who considered her to be an important character. I think her death early on was a literary warning that deaths will happen here.

JKR has said that children should know that life does not work out perfectly. I agree that they can better handle real loss if they read of it in literature or see it in other media. She did end those characters whose deaths were kind of okay, like Remus Lupin would not have had a very ideal life going on, and he died a hero with his new wife, who would want to go on with him too. Moody had spent a full and exciting life already. Snape was a tragic hero of literary proportions who fulfilled his existence by serving Harry without Harry's even knowing it (until the end). Dobby was truly a full-time hero whose life would be boring going on. Plus, of course, he was a fictional device - no such being exists (small comfort, I know).

One could argue that Fred lives on in George and further, JKR might say, his excellent sense of humor will serve him well into the hereafter.

Regarding her future writing, JKR said that she would indeed be writing more, but she thinks that she will not involve the magical world. The Potter Encyclopedia would not require a lot of writing because she has boxes of notes that she can edit together. I'm hopeful that while working on that project she will be inspired with another tale from that world. Whatever she writes, I'll buy.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm hopeful that while working on that project she will be inspired with another tale from that world. Whatever she writes, I'll buy.

This is just about what my dh said. He thinks it would be a shame if she doesn't continue writing.

OkUSooner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harry not the Headmaster of Hogwarts

:( The one thing I wanted to see at the end, besides Harry being married with
children, was Harry being the Headmaster at Hogwarts. I loved the name of the children. Thank you JK Rowling for not killing off our beloved Harry.:clap:

tracie15436

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just finished it!!!

Great book. Dissapointed that Mrs. Weasly used the word Bitch in what is "supposed" to be a childrens book...glad that Snape actually got to be a good guy...and both sad and happy that this is the final book - Good bye Harry! See you on the big screen! :wave:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Great book. Dissapointed that Mrs. Weasly used the word Bitch in what is "supposed" to be a childrens book

Actually, I thought it was perfect. Definitely what I'd say to someone trying to take out one of my daughters. Of course my kids are older and I know they've heard that language before.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

:)

That was the point--the Slytherins did NOTHING. They were on the wrong side and they're always on the wrong side, then they try to pretend that they were on the right side all along. It's part of them being complete slimeballs. Phineas is trying to rewrite history.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That was the point--the Slytherins did NOTHING. They were on the wrong side and they're always on the wrong side, then they try to pretend that they were on the right side all along. It's part of them being complete slimeballs. Phineas is trying to rewrite history.

Uhhh, what about Snape?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great book. Dissapointed that Mrs. Weasly used the word Bitch in what is "supposed" to be a childrens book QUOTE]
I agree. Totally did not fit. If anger justifies swearing in this series, there could have been some in all seven books. Lots of people had family members or loved ones in danger.
However, I did enjoy that she had such spirit and got in the thick of things.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score

Don't forget, I thought it was Phineas who overheard where they were camping which allowed Snape to send the Sword and his Patronus to lead Harry to the sword. A lot of them were on the wrong side, but they also played a key role.

KforKitty

TUG Member
Reaction score
ISnape's death and whole story was so sad. He loved Lily his whole life and no wonder he couldn't stand looking at Harry because he looked just like his most hated rival James Potter whom Lily chose in the end. When Snape's dying and he tells Harry "Look at me". It was the nearest I was to tears, going back and re-reading that scene after knowing the whole story. He wanted to die looking into Lily's eyes.

I never realised this at the time I read it that Snape wanted the last thing he looked at before he died to be Harry/Lily's eyes but I think you a right about this. How sad.

Kitty

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, I thought it was Phineas who overheard where they were camping which allowed Snape to send the Sword and his Patronus to lead Harry to the sword. A lot of them were on the wrong side, but they also played a key role.

Seems like a stretch to me. Phineas is a tool.