• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Timber Lodge

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confirmed into Grand Timber Lodge for Labor Day week, Unit 218. Would appreciate any information or suggestions about Grand Timber or Breckenridge area. Also, would you suggest we stay a couple days before or after in Estes Park area in order to see most of Rocky Mountain National Park? Or, is it possible to see RMNP in a couple day trips? Thank you.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Grand Timber last August. Accommodations were very nice. Weather was difficult to gauge, however. There were times we would be hiking and all of a sudden a storm would come through. But, you'll have fun. The scenery is beautiful. Since I am not used to the elevation, I was huffing and puffing a bit. Did not go to RMNP on this trip so can't say if day trips are a possibility.

Last edited:

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for reply. This will be our first time in Breckenridge. Does Grand Timber Lodge offer any activities other than the reception? We are also not used to the high elevation. Several people have suggested arriving day early and staying in Denver area. Have not made airline reservations so have time to decide. Thanks again.

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The altitude sickness thing has been discussed a number of times so you might want to do a search on it.

It is totally an individual thing, and it is age independent. When we went, three of us knew that we were at a higher altitude; the fourth had a brutal headache for a couple days.

However, eventually we went on up to 11,000 feet at one of the nearby mountains with no problems.

Art

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for replies. I don't think we should have problem with the higher elevation but always interested in hearing about experiences of others. Looking forward to vacation. I've e-mailed Grand Timber about activites offered at the resort, as well as their shuttle schedule. Daughter may be coming in for a long weekend and if we could use shuttle one way, would save time and gas. Has anyone used Grand Timber's shuttle? Thanks again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you joing TUG, you can read the member's only reviews for this resort on the TUG review pages. The reviews usually have lots of helpful Info. about the property.

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of TUG for several years, but never got around to actually filling in details or profile.

It looks like we'll have a lot of time at Denver Airport, waiting for friend's flight from CA. Any suggestions of what to do in or around the airport - other than read a book? Is there a mall or shopping area nearby?

Thank you.

Summit1231

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to see some very interesting sights in RNMP in one or two day trips. Leave early and bring snacks and water.

If you need to pass several hours waiting for friends to join you in Denver, you might consider visiting the Bass Pro Shop just north of I-70 and Quebec. It is not a very long drive to or from the airport. If you have children they will be entertained. BP has a climbing wall, fresh water auqaruim, salt water aqaurium, shooting gallery and incredible animal mount displays.

The Islamorado Restaurant ( specializing in seafood ) is also at his location. I have had some really good lunch meals at this location.

If you happen to like fishing and hunting it is also a great place for adults.

Enjoy your stay in Colorado.

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. My son is the hunter and fisherman - too bad he is not making this trip. Will pick up car and drive to Pro Bass and will be just in time for lunch! Current plan is to drive to RMNP two separate days, leaving early. Looking forward to it. I'm hoping to see some wildlife during our drives (preferably, not human)!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
altitude--lay low 1st day

For 1st FULL day at GTL, lay low and no hiking, etc. Use this day to enjoy pools, drive around (maybe check out Vail down the road), shop, etc.
This will really help get you used to the altitude, then the next day, light hikes, canoeing, etc. and see how you feel, then after that, most should be fine.
The 1st day gets your body (lungs and heart) used to the change and then you can start exerting a bit more---also, limiting alcohol (and maybe caffeine) also helps.

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Relaxing around GTR first day sounds good to me. Appeciate the advice and suggestions. I am so looking forward to the trip.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just Returned From Grand Timber last night

Just spent a week there in Bldg1 unit123, a two bedroom. I can't find any room #218 on my layout map so you may want to call to find out the location. The weather was generally cloudy with frequent thunderstorms but warm temperatures. It took 2 1/2 hours to drive from Denver airport. The shuttle at the lodge is for local transport around town & runs all day until 10pm. It will drop off & pick-up anytime, at almost any location. We used it everyday for local sightseeing and shopping and dining.

There is a welcome party on Monday evening with cheese, veggies & dip, and beer, wine & soda. There is a group hike on Tuesday (filled up by Monday morning) a kid's fest Thursday evening ($15), group horseback ride ($55), teen poker night and several fitness classes.

The lodge itself is very nice, with large rooms, fully equiped kitchens, two pools and several hot-tubs, a tiny convienence store, full service bar & grill serving lunch & dinner (okay but nothing special.)

We took it easy the first day and drank lots of water the whole week and had no ill effects from the altitude, although we are out of shape and past middle age! We had our usual morning coffee and enjoyed our afternoon cocktail, but didn't try to do any marathon hiking or biking, but rather took things at a more leisurely pace.

RMNP is a few hours drive and can be enjoyed on a very long day trip. Just keep in mind that wildlife viewing is best at dusk which means the drive back to Breck would be at night with a late arrival home.

The Grand Timber was fully booked while we were there with lots of families and children of all ages. Even with the thunderstorms, the pools were busy all the time. Any other questions, I'd be happy to help with any info I have.

Julie

GA17

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your week at Grand Timber Lodge sounds great. Appreciate the info about the activities. Definitely will plan to sign up for that local hike upon arrival. May also take the horseback riding trip. Do they offer bike rentals? According to my II confirmation, we're in #218. I looked at map on website; looks like end unit in building 2, toward ski run. It is a 3 bedroom unit. (Only requested a 2 bedroom unit, but confirmation came back 2 bedroom- oh well). Good idea - will give GTL a call to see exactly where unit is located. Did not expect travel from Denver to be 2 1/2 hours - thanks for heads-up on that one. How is the drive to/from RMNP? Wondering about driving back later in evening. Don't mind late driving, but depends on road and mountain driving. Thanks again for your info - most helpful.