• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point Stretching through RCI????

sly10

Reaction score
I am new to Tsharing and had a question about using RCI.

I have a family of 4 and am in the process of purchasing 7000 pts. My intention is to stretch my 7000 pts (2Br-1 week platinum) into either a 10 day (2Br-red week) vacation or a 2 week (2Br-white week) vacation by booking through RCI. The 10 day is assuming a Sunday check in.

I am still interested in staying at HGVC properties but I'd like to get as much out of my points as possible.

Is there anyone else that does this and if so has it worked for you?

Thanks

toontoy

Reaction score
this would work, however one thing to consider is that rci weekly reservations can be done 2 years out and they are typically from sat to sat sun to sun or friday to friday. you can also put in searches and ongoing requests. the fee is $164.

The nightly can be done 10 months out. the nightly fee is $29 and there is something at 5-6 but can't locate it at the moment. There is a house keeping fee charged by most resorts.

The only reason i mention these is I have tried to complete a nightly reservation for 9 nights and it can get tricky, it is possible but for some of the most sought destinations weekly planning in advance seems to work best.

Elsie Mae

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Hilton Grand Vacations Club (Hawaii) and I've put in an RCI search a couple times and gave it a couple of months to locate something and never got any results. I was searching for something 12-18 months in advance
and looked for something in Costa Rica, Club Bali Hai in Moorea, and somewhere in New Zealand. After waiting a couple of months I withdrew my RCI search and booked using the HGVC system. I would love to hear about whether users have much luck exchanging thru Rci.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You can also borrow HGVC points from next year's allocation so you can stay 2 weeks in a 2Br-red week via RCI. There is no additional fee for borrowing HGVC points.

Another way of stretching your HGVC points, is booking your HGVC stays during non-platinum season. For example, you can do a 10 day stay in a two bedroom during Gold Season using your 7,000 HGVC points.
For example, if you're tied to a school calendar
- Thanksgiving Week is in Silver Season in Orlando
- Early June and Late August are Gold Season in Orlando
- Summer is Gold Season in Captiva Island, Hutchinson Island, Marco Island, and Sanibel Island
- Summer and Thanksgiving Week are Gold Season in Vegas

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've put in an RCI search a couple times and gave it a couple of months to locate something and never got any results... I would love to hear about whether users have much luck exchanging thru RCI.

There a few issues with using HGVC for RCI bookings --
(1) An intentional focus on properties with limited availability. Rather than book a flee-bitten, rat-trap,
they try to put you into deluxe, high-demand properties, which limits the chances for an exchange.
(b) A lack of transparency. You have to rely on the mirror-on-the-wall to tell you if you are the fairest
one of all (or if if there is one more fair than thee, in which case, you may as well go eat worms).

OTOH, there are HGVC members here who have related a wide variety of stays and speak highly of the program. Basically, if you can be flexible, accept low or shoulder-season bookings, and patient, you should find something.

Last edited:

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
My experience with RCI exchanges hasn't been bad so far, but then again I am still pretty new. I was able to exchange into a 2 bedroom DVC for
Labor Day week without even having to do an ongoing search, it was just open when I called. However, I have had a search in for New York for a couple of months now and haven't heard anything. Though I've heard patience is key and I don't want to go until 2010. We'll see if it comes through.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
However, I have had a search in for New York for a couple of months now and haven't heard anything. Though I've heard patience is key and I don't want to go until 2010. We'll see if it comes through.

If you requested Manhattan Club (RCI Code #4064) and your dates are flexible (meaning your exchange request included several weeks vs a specific date), then it's just a matter of time. Manhattan Club is sighted very often in RCI and posted on TUG and TS4MS.

If you switch to a paid membership ($15 for TUG and/or $12 for TS4MS) then you could gain access to their sighting board which would be very helpful in determining current and historical exchange availability. NOTE: TS4MS.com has more daily sightings and historical data.

FYI...As of today Manhattan Club weeks have been sighted in RCI through June 2010.

Good Luck

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I own at Hilton Grand Vacations Club (Hawaii) and I've put in an RCI search a couple times and gave it a couple of months to locate something and never got any results. I was searching for something 12-18 months in advance
and looked for something in Costa Rica, Club Bali Hai in Moorea, and somewhere in New Zealand. After waiting a couple of months I withdrew my RCI search and booked using the HGVC system. I would love to hear about whether users have much luck exchanging thru Rci.

Don't know about Costa Rica and New Zealand because you didn't provide a resort but for Club Bali Hai in Moorea, your issue may be that you didn't wait long enough for the exchange to come through.

TS4MS has plenty of sightings posted for Club Bali Hai in Moorea. Availability looks good if your dates were flexible. Based on past sightings posted on TS4MS.com, 2009 weeks at Club Bali Hai in Moorea didn't start appearing until 3rd qtr 2008. NOTE: Remember sightings are an online snapshot of weeks leftover after ongoing searches have been satisfied.

Hopefully one day HGVC members will have online access to RCI but until then the various sighting boards are very helpful in determining what is currently and normally available via RCI.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

I suggest reading Exchanging Your Timeshare Week from TUG's Timeshare 101 (link) on the TUG Advice page (link).
NOTE: We don't have any control over which weeks HGVC deposits into RCI but based on feedback from HGVC TUG members, HGVC trades very well with RCI.

Here are some highlights from the TUG Timeshare 101 article
Exchanging Your Timeshare Week
"One of the most attractive aspects of timesharing is the ability to exchange your timeshare week for a week at a different timeshare. In this way, you can use your timeshare week to obtain vacation accommodations at different times and locations throughout the world. Unfortunately, unsuccessful attempts at exchanging have soured many owners on timesharing and timeshare exchanging. This usually happens when the owner either doesn’t understand how the exchanging system works, or the owner has unrealistic expectations about the types of timeshare exchanges they can make with the week they own. When the buyer then unsuccessfully tries to make these exchanges, they become disillusioned and upset about timesharing. Thus, to get the most benefit from timesharing, you should learn the basic rules for successful timeshare exchanging."

The exchange value of a timeshare
"Exchange value is an important concept to understand for successful timeshare exchanging. Both internal exchange programs and exchange companies generally operate on the basis of exchanging timeshares of like value. This practice is what prevents the owner of an off-season studio apartment at the Mugwump Towers from exchanging that unit for an 3-bedroom oceanfront suite unit in Hawaii during New Years Week.
Note that when you unsuccessfully search for an exchange, that does not necessarily mean the exchange company (or the internal exchange program) does not have a unit that meets your criteria; it means that they do not have a unit that meets your criteria and which “matches up” with your week in exchange value. So, if you have an on-going search for a highly valued week and you are using a week with relatively low value, units that meet your criteria may be received and added to the spacebank, but will not be offered to you (at least, not right away).
Exchange value for a unit is established by the combination of supply and demand. When there are relatively few deposits being made for a given resort and use week in relation to the demand for that resort and week, those weeks will have high value. Conversely, high supply and low demand will create low value. "

Resort rating and resort amenities
"Many owners mistakenly think having a high amenity rating (such as a Gold Crown resort in RCI’s rating system or a 5* resort in II’s parlance) will significantly increase the exchange value of a resort. These ratings, however, are based on the amenities provided at the resort, not the demand for the resort. High exchange value is based on high demand and low supply, which is primarily driven by location and season, not amenities. Continuing with the beachfront example cited above, a beachfront resort without amenity awards will often have higher exchange value than a top-rated resort located a short distance inland, because exchangers want to be on the beach rather than some distance inland, and will forego amenities in favor of location. (An exception to this might occur if the inland resort were located adjacent to some other major attraction.) Only if two resorts are located in similar settings will resort rating and amenities significantly affect the relatives exchange values of the two resorts."

Realistic timeshare exchange expectations
"You should also not be too restrictive about your search criteria. Remember that a trade can only be completed if someone deposits a week that meets your criteria and there is not someone “in line” ahead of you for that week. You can increase your chances of being able to successfully make an exchange by increasing the number of resorts (or areas) into which you are willing to make an exchange and/or by specifying a wider range of check-in dates. If you are limited to traveling only during a very short period (as with a school vacation), then you should be sure that there are many resorts that will fit your criteria. Similarly, if you insist on going to a specific location or a specific small set of resorts, you should have a wider range of possible check-in dates. If you can’t meet either of these criteria, you should consider that exchanging might not be a good use of your timeshare, and you should plan on owning a timeshare primarily for direct usage."

Exchanging Tips
"To increase your chances of completing an exchange you should start your search as soon as possible...Many TUGgers conduct their vacation scheduling two years in advance of the actual vacation days."

Just remember...
Some destinations will be harder than others. It depends on demand and supply. For example, if you want to go to Orlando during the summer, you won't have any problems getting an exchange since there's an oversupply of timeshare resorts in Orlando.

It is important to understand that exchangers only have access to what is deposited and not all weeks are deposited. As someone said on a recent TUG thread, if you assumed that you will simply be able to "exchange" into where you want to go, when you want to go there then you might be very disappointed".

When you're looking to trade into a particular resort, you may be more successful if you try to learn which weeks are typical available (i.e non-peak weeks only) based on previous deposits and when do they become available for exchange (i.e. six months in advance).

Good Luck :hi:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Although many properties are not up to Hilton Standards, the exchange company Dial an Exchange (DAE), at www.daelive.com, has many many Australia and New Zealand weeks available. You could book a studio unit directly with Hilton and then deposit that into DAE. Your exchange is 1 for 1, so I would deposit only a studio at most. There are far more properties than you would ever find in RCI for those locations. Not as many US based deposits as there are Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

You can search the weeks online that are available without having to be a member.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with RCI but I have only gone to a select number of places. Almost every year I trade my 1-bdrm Bay Club for a two bedroom unit. That's only 3400 points as opposed to 7000 if booked directly through HGVC.

I've gotten 2 back to back weeks at the Manhattan Club twice. I got an excess inventory week in Florida for $207.00. And 10 years ago I a nice exchange in Maui. However I've had no luck with Maui since. Units in Maui have been available but I don't want to stay in Kihei so no luck for me.

I learned on TUG that a lot of timeshares do spacebanking. That is they release a lot of units at the same time a set number of months from the check in period. This is true for the Bay Club and Manhattan Club.

Elsie Mae

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone. You guys are a wealth of info.