• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New DC Status Tiers effective 4/30/15

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well that makes sense why there is still a date of August 30th now. I'm amazed they haven't trained the advisors better at this point.........

Jan

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dates

I believe the correct dates are in Red:
...my June 30th date for banking changed to August 30th (August 31st)and my September 30 date for turning in weeks for points went to November 30th(October 31st). I can still call 13 months out for as little as 1 night (no change). I asked about the 2 year banking and it appears the length of banking hasn't changed - 2016 points would be good until 12/31/17(12/31/18).She said it is just automatic now. If that is so, why do we need to even worry about that new August 30th date? :ponder:

Jan

Cheers.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps by "automatic" they mean that when you bank, the points are automatically banked for two years instead of one? You don't need to call again next year to bank for the second year?

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps by "automatic" they mean that when you bank, the points are automatically banked for two years instead of one? You don't need to call again next year to bank for the second year?

That is my experience. I banked my remaining 2015 points a few weeks ago. They now show in my account as being valid from 1st Jan 2016 to 31st Dec 2017.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
MVW has responded to the few questions raised in this thread that I brought to their attention, and given their permission for the responses to be quoted on TUG.

It was pointed out to them that two TUGgers got contradictory responses as to the rules following cancellations of reservations made with Banked Points, and that neither response appeared to make any sense. Their response, applicable to all three 12/18/24-months Banking periods:
Reservations cancelled 61 days or more prior to the check-in date are returned to the Owner’s account and may be used again prior to the (banked) expiration date. However, in the case of an Advance Priority Reservation, the Points required as the premium for the reservation will be returned to the Owner’s Holding Account and subject to the restrictions on Holding Accounts.

If, the owner cancels a reservation from 60 to 1 days prior to the check-in, the Points will be returned in to the Owner’s Holding Account, but they would still have until the (banked) expiration date to use them, and the Points used for the premium for an Advance Priority Reservation will be forfeited.

After receiving a response in February that the 10% Chase Marriott VISA component would still be in effect for discount cash stays following the new status tiers, I questioned why we weren't seeing any related codes and why the reps weren't saying the same thing I'd been told. The contradiction was acknowledged but this is the most recent response my contact has gotten:
The Owner’s Discount can no longer be combined with any other discounts or offers.

This isn't a surprise because of what we've been seeing but it's disappointing all the same. As follow-up I've asked if this is a Chase or MVW directive, and if there will be an effort to reinstate a similar component. I'll let you know when/if they respond.

The Points FAQ will be edited to reflect these items.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
MVW has responded to the few questions raised in this thread that I brought to their attention, and given their permission for the responses to be quoted on TUG.

It was pointed out to them that two TUGgers got contradictory responses as to the rules following cancellations of reservations made with Banked Points, and that neither response appeared to make any sense. Their response, applicable to all three 12/18/24-months Banking periods:

After receiving a response in February that the 10% Chase Marriott VISA component would still be in effect for discount cash stays following the new status tiers, I questioned why we weren't seeing any related codes and why the reps weren't saying the same thing I'd been told. The contradiction was acknowledged but this is the most recent response my contact has gotten:

This isn't a surprise because of what we've been seeing but it's disappointing all the same. As follow-up I've asked if this is a Chase or MVW directive, and if there will be an effort to reinstate a similar component. I'll let you know when/if they respond.

The Points FAQ will be edited to reflect these items.

This wasn't really the answer I was looking for. Seems more like a cop out answer. They really didn't say anything that wasn't already in the terms and conditions. Why not just say the additional Visa discount no longer applies? I get the impression that they goofed up big time on this and don't really know what to say. They can't seem to explain why it was taken away.

In the past, it wasn't like one was combining two discounts when they used MOD, there were just two available rates. One for holders of the MR Visa and the other without.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This wasn't really the answer I was looking for. Seems more like a cop out answer. They really didn't say anything that wasn't already in the terms and conditions. Why not just say the additional Visa discount no longer applies? I get the impression that they goofed up big time on this and don't really know what to say. They can't seem to explain why it was taken away.

In the past, it wasn't like one was combining two discounts when they used MOD, there were just two available rates. One for holders of the MR Visa and the other without.

I agree, and hope that they'll answer the follow-up question of whether this loss was directed by MVW or Chase. It won't be a surprise, though, if they leave the question unanswered.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I noticed today after adding a guest's name to a reservation that our DC status tier is still indicated on the confirmation issued by Owner Services as "Premier Plus" rather than the change effective April '15. It's not a big deal but I'm wondering if others are seeing the same type of thing?

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
I just checked a recent DC point reservation I made and the confirmation does not show any status....where is it on the form?

Also, to add a guest name do you have to call Owner Svc or can that be one online?

Thx

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I noticed today after adding a guest's name to a reservation that our DC status tier is still indicated on the confirmation issued by Owner Services as "Premier Plus" rather than the change effective April '15. It's not a big deal but I'm wondering if others are seeing the same type of thing?

Yes I just checked my Grande Ocean that I rented and it is still there also - I'm "Gold Elite".

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I don't know why it says Gold Elite. I'm Gold for Marriott Rewards, and Presidential for the Destination Club.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think my reservations have always shown my MR status, not my MVC Status...of which I have none :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just checked a recent DC point reservation I made and the confirmation does not show any status....where is it on the form?

Also, to add a guest name do you have to call Owner Svc or can that be one online?

Thx

Yes I just checked my Grande Ocean that I rented and it is still there also - I'm "Gold Elite".

This is an email confirmation from the "Marriott Vacation Club Intl Reservations" email address. At the bottom of the "Room Details" section under "Request Noted" it says, "MVCI Premier Pls Pts Owner." I've never requested DC status to be noted but seem to remember that it's been included in that field since the DC inception. What I noticed today isn't that the notation is new, but that the terminology hasn't changed with the changes effective April '15.

If your Marriott Rewards Number is attached to your reservations it shows up regularly on confirmation notices generated by both Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Intl - that's why MVCI stays booked using Weeks or Points show up in your marriottrewards.com account. On today's email confirmation my MR info is indicated towards the bottom under "Your Rewards Information."

I don't believe it's possible to instantly add guests' names to reservations on my-vacationclub.com, but it can be done through the website's email contact links or "Click to Chat" feature (what I used today.)

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
OK..I was looking at one of the other confirmations (they seem to send out 3!). On the one you are referring to my status is correct at Presidential.

Thanks for the info re. guest name

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
***Note with the OP's permission this post and replies to it have been moved from the Global points system thread where possible changes to the DC status tiers were first discussed.*** <--- SueDonJ

All,

Here is the info on the new levels. They've created four new levels:

Select (4,000 - 6,999 points)
Executive (7,000 - 9,999 points)
Presidential (10,000 - 14,999 points)
Chairman's Club (15,000 points +)

It looks like Executive (the new 7,000 point level) is effectively the same as the old Premier Plus. Everyone with Premier is now grandfathered into Executive. This is an important change for the former Premier owner.

The new Chairman's Club (the new 15,000 point level) has two years for banked points, and an extra month for the decision to bank (ie, October versus September). Premier Plus is grandfathered to CC.

Presidential -- in between Executive and Chairman's Club -- provides points to be banked for 18 months and also allows the extra month for the banking decision.

I don't think the changes are that significant -- most interesting is the expansion of 1+ day reservations 13 months out (the best thing about Premier Plus) is now extended down to Executive. That's a powerful feature for Executive, just as it used to be for PP.

Best,

Greg

I wasn't able to quickly find an answer to this in searching threads:

Are resale points not recognized or recognized differently than developer points with respect to Vacation Club elite levels?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wasn't able to quickly find an answer to this in searching threads:

Are resale points not recognized or recognized differently than developer points with respect to Vacation Club elite levels?

No, resale Points aren't recognized differently for status purposes. DC Status levels are based on the combined total of Trust Points purchased from Marriott and any re-sellers, plus the Exchange Points values of any Enrolled Weeks.