• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare "Maintenance Fees" Query

Robemm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to write this since we returned from a wonderful week in the Florida Keys at a smallish (about 30 units) resort. Looking through the TUG classifieds I found 3 or 4 units in this resort for sale. They each had posted the maintenance fees which averaged $600; and that got me to thinking. If I bought a week at this resort, my annual fee would be $600 for my week's stay. There being 52 weeks in a year, and 30 units in the resort, that amounts to $936,000 gross income annually ($600 x 52 x 30) for the resort.

I don't know anything about resort management; but it doesn't seem as though it would take almost a million dollars annually to support this resort. Is my math way off base; or is someone making a lot of money?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
It depends on how many owners are paying the fees? The resort might have units that are not owned but used as rentals for non timeshare vacationers. iMHO the maintenance fees keep going up because not everyone pays, and when older resorts refurbish and update units, the cost is passed on to timeshare owners. Each one of my timeshares has increased fees for maintenance for 2015. But I feel I am getting my money's worth because we get to travel when and where we want to which is why I have the timeshares. Are you planning to buy a week at the resort in the Keys? If you enjoy staying there then that sounds like a good idea.
Safe Travels
TerryC

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to write this since we returned from a wonderful week in the Florida Keys at a smallish (about 30 units) resort. Looking through the TUG classifieds I found 3 or 4 units in this resort for sale. They each had posted the maintenance fees which averaged $600; and that got me to thinking. If I bought a week at this resort, my annual fee would be $600 for my week's stay. There being 52 weeks in a year, and 30 units in the resort, that amounts to $936,000 gross income annually ($600 x 52 x 30) for the resort.

I don't know anything about resort management; but it doesn't seem as though it would take almost a million dollars annually to support this resort. Is my math way off base; or is someone making a lot of money?

No one is making a lot of money. Perhaps the management company is taking a fee of 10%-15%, but the rest goes to maintaining the property and to the reserve funds.

Looking at it another way, its $2500 a month per condo...It takes me over half that much to maintain my home, and I dont employ housekeepers, maintenance men or a front desk clerk

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
No one is making a lot of money. Perhaps the management company is taking a fee of 10%-15%, but the rest goes to maintaining the property and to the reserve funds.

Looking at it another way, its $2500 a month per condo...It takes me over half that much to maintain my home, and I dont employ housekeepers, maintenance men or a front desk clerk

Good point about the reserve funds. A properly managed resort will make sure there's plenty in the reserve fund to reduce the probability of a nasty special assessment surprise.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, front desk staff, maintenance staff, housekeeping, management fees, taxes, insurance, utilities, reserve fund, etc, etc. I'm amazed that they can run it for under a million a year. Sounds like a well-run resort.

-Bob

Robemm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare Maintenance Fees Query

Good morning and Merry Christmas to all. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the opinions.

To "Dioxide45", nope, no other posts under different "handles". Robemm is my only one.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, most resorts use a 50 week year for budget planning --- to allow for "down" time and the ups & downs of the numbers. A midyear increase for medical or insurance costs; vandalism of a unit and taking the time it is in inventory.

Or as the common saying is, Stuff Happens!

1950bing

Reaction score
[IMGL]t[/IMGL]
I did the math @ the place I used to own. It was a rip off !
Go after the deadbeats !!!!'nnn

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
[IMGL]t[/IMGL]
I did the math @ the place I used to own. It was a rip off !
Go after the deadbeats !!!!'nnn

a better solution than going after the deadbeats (its expensive and we dont have any money) would be to establish a rental and sales dept to deal with the defaults and get them productive again....

At one resort I own they make the hoa controlled weeks available to the owners. just pay the fee and you get the use of another week. As a result, although we have a bad debt expense that is 17% of our budget, we have "other income" to offset it

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you ask a similar question in another thread under a different handle. I was thinking I was having déjà vu until I fund it.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220217

Rob was advised to change his user name, because formerly, he was using his personal email address, as his user name. It appears that he re-registered with a new name, rather than asking an Admin to change the name for him, so now he has two user names.

That is indeed his post, under his original user name.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Rob was advised to change his user name, because formerly, he was using his personal email address, as his user name. It appears that he re-registered with a new name, rather than asking an Admin to change the name for him, so now he has two user names.

That is indeed his post, under his original user name.

Actually, I think he registered under the e-mail address recently where the user name in the start of this thread was registered back in 2008. Though he claims that other post isn't his?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are correct - I had it backwards.

This was his original registration name:

Robemm
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 4, 08

BTW - to those who wonder, I am not "disclosing" any private info. Your registration date shows every time you post.