• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recent Destination Club News

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
Last edited:

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Sounds like ClubsRDead has a truthtelling problem. I would still bet a lot more money that he's Mike Shelton than Perry.

It's unfortunate, because I find his commentary very informative. He obviously has/had an inside line on the goings on at Tanner & Haley and Ultimate. Sounds like it's because he's in bed (figuratively or literally) with Shelton.

I'm not aware that Perry (who I also generally agreed with on the DC topic) has any particular inside info on T&H or UE.

Until he popped up to attack me for being less than impressed with Shelton, I hadn't noticed the inconsistencies in ClubsRDead posts.

OneMoreTime

Reaction score
Post? CRD owned DC4Ms!

Are you saying it was not you that posted on DC4MS???
Clubs R Dead didn't need to post- he owned it. As far as I can see CRD must be none other than the snake oil salesman- JT. JT had been working with T&H on a merger for month's before the filing so he had access to all the historical data. Shelton was around T&H for what, 90 days before the filing? It does not make sense- CRD has an axe to grind- if CRD isn't JT , than it must be someone like Cibik. In the end , does it matter- it is amazing how much energy goes into trying to "out" each other when we should be working on solving real issues.

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
it is amazing how much energy goes into trying to "out" each other when we should be working on solving real issues.

i only posted to defend RLG (irony alert - they were right with ClubsRDead and others about DCs, opposite me for example) and then i posted about what i had heard because it didnt seem so crazy anymore.

AK and EE members could post travel discussion, but thats pretty much it.

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
whoa whoa whoa

http://www.rocksure.com/images/10_Autumn_Newsletter.pdf
Equity Estates Invests in the Capital Fund

Equity Estates is the only company in the United States which has a financial model similar to that of Rocksure where those whose money is used to buy the properties have ownership of all of them and benefit from the expected capital gain.

We are therefore delighted that they have decided to buy multiple Units in the Capital Fund so that their Members will be able to have access to the whole Capital Fund portfolio as it is assembled over the coming months.

We are very pleased about the investment not just because our structure and financial goals are similar but also because our standards, objectives and vision are similar, too. We hope to be able to co-operate in other ways in the future.

looks like they had sold ~18 out of 170 units for euro capitals fund as of july [2010] >
http://www.timesharepages.com/world-news/europe/rocksure-property’s-capital-fund-reached-milestone/
subscriptions summing up to €2.1 million. €1 million of the total offer were invested just over the last 2 months.

wonder how much EE bought and where capital stands now...

http://www.rocksure.com/_blog/Rocksure_-_Press/post/You’ll_always_have_Paris_-_for_a_slice_of_price/
February 04, 2011...more than 20 investors and £2.57 million [€3 million] [~26 out of 170 units?]

latest newsletter says £2mm subscriptions for platinum (~4.5 out of 37 units?)

no numbers for crystal except "reservations" (45 units)

http://www.rocksure.com/news/faqs.html

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
http://www.sherpareport.com/destination-clubs/exclusive-resorts-non-refundable-membership.html

i dont think ER could have been clearer about this coming.

but its kind of ridiculous because its not much of a discount. (27.3% > 37.5% non-deferred)

when they were doing half nonrefundable now, half (partially?) refundable in 10 years, THAT was a good deal.

sales for a "bad deal" might be even more informative though i guess.

refundable deferred "fee" >
$20K (4.2%)
$20K (2.8%)
$30K (3.2%)
$40K (3.5%)
$40K (3.0%)
$40K (2.7%)

odd in a Q sort of way

from article >
In 2010 approximately 30% of the new members joining Exclusive Resorts took advantage of this deferred payment program.
but doesnt differentiate between >
- 50% 10 year
- 75% 1 year
- multiyear

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
http://destinationclubnews.com/News_Second_Home_Destinations_Looks_To_Bolster_Portfolio.php
Second Home Destinations...is looking to expand their property roster by reaching out to second home owners who may be interested in leasing their residence to the club...up to $10 million.

Malibu requires 5,000 points [~$6K] per night

Most of the home owners who have placed their properties in the portfolio already have an agreement with the club where they "profit accordingly" based on member usage, but Second Home Destinations disclosed that they would allow contributing homeowners the ability to exchange their property for member usage privileges. Homeowners placing their property into the club also can set which nights are available to members, allowing them to capitalize on dates they know they will not be in residence.
doesnt sound like leases to me...

dont recall if anyone has gotten property point values from them?

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
first "spammer" posted nothing but smileys. i reported post, and it was deleted. dont recall poster's name.

what's wrong kage?
nothing? i know youre having fun.

wait. MLS. i was thinking it said MLB.

seem to recall shelton's personal aol email having something to do with soccer.

so perhaps youre shelton (sigh) or someone who knows about whatever prompted the soccer reference.

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
lol why so much accusing of shelton on this site.. are u shelton?!?

i myself never accused anyone of being shelton.

on DC4MS, it was shelton. he used his TH corporate email account to register. other mods saw this before he changed it.

question for you - why join (March 6, 2011 - assuming not a second account) to talk about shelton?

while i may have "started" this (arguable considering posts by CRD?) my comments on shelton were "throwaway". as i said, my bottom line is that AK is one of 3 clubs that is conservative re debt and has no leases, and if shelton is a positive influence on the industry, great, especially for AK.

You like that? ha i didnt like 83rd.......
http://tugbbs.com/forums/member.php?u=48540
mlshelton
BBS Reg. Date: December 5, 2010
Last Activity: March 6, 2011 08:10 PM
Viewing Forum Non-traditional Interval Ownership @ 08:10 PM
Location - Chicago
and this is?
ah. so middle initial is L? so MLS fan = Michael L Shelton fan

MLS_fan has changed location from chicago to "kc" to "flo-rida" to "boston, ritz carlton"
you forgot nj too.. i won my bet did u?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, this is where the board could use some moderating. I'm not even sure what half of the posts mean.

Can we get back to talking about DCs?

http://www.destinationclubnews.com/...Less_Expensive_Non_Refundable_Memberships.php

Does anyone know how these non-refundable ER memberships will get booked from an accounting perspective? Does it mean that the entire membership fee is booked as revenue for the year and is there a partially offsetting obligation booked since they are to provide accomodations in the future?

I know that we saw some pretty odd acccounting with respect to UE, but then again it was odd from my perspective, maybe not from an accountant's perspective.

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
i broke it down some here - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1071099&postcount=1232

indeed, i was wondering if ER is including future deposit amounts in 2010 new/upgrade revenue considering 30% new were deferred.

from new article
$66 million in new membership sales and upgrades and surpassed $100 million in annual revenue
100mm - 66mm = 34mm / 3300 = $10K per member

130 upgrades - http://destinationclubnews.com/foru...embership-upgrade-options/msg0/?boardseen#new

http://www.sherpareport.com/destination-clubs/factors-choose-destination-club-0311.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of negativity about DCs, and I absolutely get that given the failure of most non-equity DCs. However, in fairness, it does solve a lot of problems for somone who is pretty busy, but wants to take consistent, quality vacations.

I recently tried to use homeaway for a location outside of my DC but found it pretty daunting. So hard to tell what's good and what's garbage. I finally just rented multiple rooms, so I'd have a little better idea of what I was getting and that I can trust whomever I was paying. But then you get all the negatives of having multiple hotel rooms. Also, despite the recession, it seems like the prime hotels are still going for $400+ a night, which makes my $700/night dues seem reasonable given the 3 or 4 bedrooms and quality that matches or exceeds the nicest hotels. More importantly, from a time standpoint, the DC trips take me 15 minutes to book and I spend hours upon hours booking my non-DC trips. When I factor that it, it still makes sense at least for me. As a result, I still think the DC concept has some legs assuming it can be executed right.

Interesting DC that I've never heard of until this article by Susan Kime:

http://www.luxist.com/2011/03/08/cuvee-ventures-and-cuvee-escapes-combining-return-on-investment/

"...Cuvée Ventures is a fund-based equity investment group, and rents the properties it owns, when the investor-families are not using them. It is also, according to Larry, 100% debt-free on its investment in real estate.

A few facts and stats: There have been two funds since 2005 that have purchased exceptional residences -- see next page. The investors pay $750,000 for a 1/2 share investment allowing 15 nights per year, and the full share investment, $1,500,000, allowing for 30 nights per year. The investors may stay at any of the residences available. Each accredited investor owns his or her share of the limited partnership that owns the real estate, so all of the investor money is tied directly to the hard asset. In Fund I, there were 17.5 shares and about 20 investors, and
in Fund II, there were 12 shares and about 14 investors...."

Not cheap, but certainly some great looking properties.

Chicagomark

Reaction score
Homeaway/Vrbo Challenges......

Whole problem with Vrbo is that you have no idea if the pictures were taken last week, or during the Reagan administration. Nor do you have any idea whether or not you're renting from someone nuts.

One great idea that came out of discussions with other UE members post the melt down there-was creating a due diligence organization to send people out to scout Homeaway/Vrbo rentals.

There are plenty of under employed realtors out there who could go scout rental venues to separate the good from the bad. That would materially enhance the vrbo experience by having the locations vetted for you, in advance via standardized inspection. I would pay for that!

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
pricing is reminiscent of elan fractionals - which claim DC style use?

re cuvee >

15/30 nights and rent the rest? thats like condohotels that limit you to 21 nights per year. designed for those who want cash flow.

edit - ok wait. this doesnt make any sense. if theyre basically entirely rental, what about properties that dont allow that?

3-4 properties
3-4 x 30 nights = 90-120 nights per property

if they do have expensive properties, especially at hotels, that theyre renting short term, especially nightly, and at hotels where its lower than hotel rate, ill definitely keep an eye on them for rentals. sure beats rental brokers for potential value.

huh, but their rental company is a broker.. so i guess they started there?

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
i presume demeure and second home destinations joined DCNews forum instead of TUG because they feel moderation there will benefit them more than users. i hope theyre wrong.

edit - i cant believe i double posted. doh.

Last edited:
Reaction score
inspiratio

how many of these 200 members came from former/inactive ER members? How many paid $9,500? How much travel have they completed and it would be interesting to hear their comments as the locations are still pretty pricey from what I have seen.

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
i was thinking ER resignees as well. speaking of which, how many are there?

Last edited:

Buon Viaggio

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resignation list is pretty much the same but the current rate of resignation is the same as normal years. I haven't heard of anyone moving over from ER but there's bound to be a few. Some of the houses are former ER homes and some, I believe are owned by the founders themselves.

Reaction score

That's impressive. I guess that can happen when you have a great website, an easier to understand model, and some very impressive experience in the business. I'm sure Demeure or Second Home Destinations would have liked to have seen that kind of traction early on. It would be interesting to know how many are or were connected to ER.

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
The resignation list is pretty much the same but the current rate of resignation is the same as normal years. I haven't heard of anyone moving over from ER but there's bound to be a few. Some of the houses are former ER homes and some, I believe are owned by the founders themselves.
we werent suggesting people would resign ER in order to join inspirato.

resignees as in total since ER started, not current resignation list.

so inspirato is NOT long term lease only, interesting.

edit - just heard some details from someone - sounds like inspirato is just as bad if not worse than demeure, second home, etc in terms of shall we say oddities and inconsistencies. sigh.

Last edited:

Buon Viaggio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotcha - The normal rate of resignations annually per year is less than 5% so you could figure out a ballpark number if you knew the number of members per year. I don't have that info but I'll bet you could track it down.

Inspirato is offering week long stays to anyone right now as they have excess inventory already. Off peak weeks are very attractively priced but prime weeks aren't any special value. If they can replicate the ER in-home experience and service then the product should be a good one. I don't see them making loads of profit though with the current business plan.