• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland question

ccy

Reaction score
Can someone tell me about the deluxe one-bedroom, just how small are they? I've seen from the layout that it has no windows, only sliding doors to the patio in the bedroom.

We're thinking of going in December (w/out the kids) using staroptions. Either we reserve a week stay at a deluxe 1br in April at 8 months out or wait till October to reserve a premium 1br for 6 days.

Also, is it worth the drive to Grand Canyon for 4hrs each way?

Thanks.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is info from mystarcentral:

Approximately 546 square feet of living space plus 106 square feet of balcony space. The guest side of your villa is slightly smaller than the premium side, yet sleeps four comfortably and has full dining service for four. This side features a convenient kitchenette with two-burner cooktop and convection microwave oven, dishwasher and bar-sized refrigerator with icemaker.

You will have plenty of room, especially as you mention you're going without the kids.

Why not tag the Grand Canyon trip onto the beginning of your trip & make it an overnighter? You will want to spend some time there & that would make for a very long up & back in one trip.

Last edited:

ccy

Reaction score
Thanks. I was worried about it being dark and closed-in as there are no windows. I'm claustrophobic.

zinger1457

Reaction score
For two people the smaller 1-BR has pelnty of room. The biggest draw back with the smaller 1-BR in my opinion is that the patios are recessed in from the outside edge of the building so you have somewhat of a tunnel effect looking out, the views just aren't as good as the larger units. I'm sure you're aware that if you wait until 90 days out to make a reservation you have less of a chance of finding a room available. I tried to do that at Kierland this year during Thanksgiving and they were fully booked. But on the other hand I was there a couple weeks ago during New Years week and I'd be surprised if half the villas were occupied. I guess you could always reserve the smaller unit at 8 months out and if available change it to a larger one at 90 days and pay the $29 fee.

timeandenergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't stayed at WK, but during the tour I felt the small 1BR would be a bit tight but doable for 4 people even if 2 are children. I agree w/ the last post though. I would definitely book the smaller one in April and pay the fee change in Oct. to upgrade.

We stayed in Scottsdale and went up to the Grand Canyon, but we stayed overnight in the Grand Canyon. I was very happy w/ our decision to stay overnight in the Grand Canyon park. If you don't stay overnight, I think you get a limited experience of viewing the different aspects of the Grand Canyon. We were able to even do a sunrise and sunset tour. I'm not much of a nature buff, but it was a beautiful site to see. I'm glad we got to veiw the Canyon from multiple aspects. We did a mid-week trip, and a couple in our group stayed behind in Scottsdale. So it was worth doing the overnight trip in the middle of the week. However, if everyone was going it would have been more finanically beneficial to tag that overnight trip to the Grand Canyon on the beginning or end of our stay. It really is a 4 hour trip, and everything stops after sundown in the Grand Canyon park. If you decide to stay in the Grand Canyon Park, you want to book a room early to get your choice of hotels.

If you do a same day trip, I would advise leaving Scottsdale very early in the morning to experience as much as possible.

ccy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. As you and zinger1457 had suggested, we'll reserve the smaller 1br at 8 mos. out and try for the premium 1br at 90 days out.
We're thinking of stopping by for a night in Sedona on our way to GC where we'll also stay for a night. Which hotel did you stay at in GC?

damorgan

TUG Member
Reaction score
CCY,

We stayed in a smaller room last year. It was a bit dark in the kitchen/lounge area during the day (we usually had the lights on), but you pretty much always get 'line of sight' to the sliding doors so the great outside is never far away, if you know what I mean.

We're going for the bigger room this year - I really like the extra space and, as Zinger says, the patio seems to be a lot better (more sun, better view).