• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Sapphire Valley or Fairfield Mountains?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning a trip and trying to figure out which of these resorts to add. For those that have been to both, is there a clear preference? What are some of the key differences?

Thanks.

Reaction score
As far as units, I don’t think there’s allot of difference. Both resorts are a little dated. Most of the units at both places will have steps in them

If you want to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway or go to Asheville, Mountains is closer. If you want to see waterfalls or go to Cherokee, then Sapphire Valley is closer.

Sapphire Valley is a higher altitude so it would be cooler than Mountains. The roads in general are curvier in the Sapphire Valley area. I would say that Mountains is in a more isolated area in general.

I hope this helps you Rob!

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like mountains a lot better.....you have access to Lake Lure and all the amenities in Rumbling Bald Resort ( a couple of golf courses, pools, restaurants,etc.). You also have Chimney Rock close by, and Asheville isn't too far.
We try to go at least one long weekend every year.

We've only gone once to Sapphire Valley...the waterfalls are pretty and we enjoyed it, but don't have much desire to go back....I thought the units at Sapphire Valley were a little more dated than Mountains. (but both are definitely dated! ).

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

I figured they were both dated, probably similar vintage to Fairfield Glade which we've been to a couple of times.

Unfortunately, with teenage daughters, I have to ask... how good is the WiFi at each of the locations? Non-existent, passable, or decent?

We would be going in the summer so the higher altitude would be nice, but probably the location at Mountains would be more convenient for things we'd want to do.

Reaction score
The last time I was at Sapphire Valley was over 10 years ago so I’m not sure about Wi-Fi there. The last time I was at Mountains was a few years ago and there was no Wi-Fi. I stayed in a VRI unit which was not managed by Wyndham. Most of the VRI units are in the woods with little or no cell signal.

There are 2 unit managers at each resort. I guess the best thing to do is call the resorts directly to find out about Wi-Fi and cell coverage.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went during the summer and our room was old and musty smelling. I think they have updated the rooms since. Only spent 3 days. A must do is the sliding rock in NC. My teens like hiking the waters falls, swimming in natural swimming holes and checking out the caves in the area.

After hiking the falls and searching out the swimming holes at Great Smoky Mountain my kids were put off by the muddy water at Lake Lure.

makersforme

Reaction score
We were at Sapphire Valley this past mid July and stayed in a 2 bedroom at Mountain Laurel which isn't managed by Wyndham. Wifi was good enough to have 4 devices connected with no issues. We have Sprint cell and coverage was almost 0%. We loved the area, but driving some of those roads got to be a challenge as they were making me and my son car sick.

The one thing that drove us a bit crazy was the odd to us lake and pool rules. Any thunder and out of the water for like 15 minutes of thunder free. Even for the indoor pool. It basically thunderstormed daily between say 2-6pm.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

I figured they were both dated, probably similar vintage to Fairfield Glade which we've been to a couple of times.

Unfortunately, with teenage daughters, I have to ask... how good is the WiFi at each of the locations? Non-existent, passable, or decent?

We would be going in the summer so the higher altitude would be nice, but probably the location at Mountains would be more convenient for things we'd want to do.

I don't remember any problems with WiFi at either resort. We've spent several long weekends at Mountains and at times I've had to do some work on line while there and had no issues...