• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham points contracts

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two Wyndham points contracts that i would like to give away.

1) Great Smokey Lodge 1,001,000 points, Oct use year, mf $5.01/1000
2) Canterbury 500,000 points, April use year, mf $4/1000

I will pay all costs of closing and transfer fees

Because of the mf, these are two of the most desirable contracts in the Wyndham system

So whats the catch? Those of you that know me know the answer. I have used all the points from these contracts and the next use is the 2019 use year so the first travel date for the big contract is April, 1 2018 and the first travel date for the small contract is Oct 1 2018

The points will be awarded Jan 1 2017 and I assume it will be 4 months until your first maintenance fee payment so you will be paying 4 months of fees this year before you see your first points. And unless you use the credit pool it will be nearly 18 to 24 months before your first possible travel date

So why is this a bargain deal. ... first of all its free which I think meets the definition that TugBrian recently established. As we all know when it comes to timeshares, even free can be too much so why is this a good deal?

I value Wyndham points at about $6/1000 points so I think that if I hadn't used the 2017 and 2018 points these contracts would be worth $5000 and $10000 respectively, for the points alone and the contract itself is worth something because of the low mf. (remenber mf is forever so these are contracts that will keep on giving) One of Wyndhams preferred brokers is selling Wyndham points contracts for more than that now. (link upon request)

So for the Canterbury contract the price is really $5000 but to compensate my buyer for the missing points the price is reduced to $0 and Ill pay the closing and transfer costs> As I said above, the real value here will be realized in future years because maintenance fees are forever, and these are low.

I have 20,000,000 more points in contracts of various sizes (with higher mfs) that I will sell at the same terms, once these are gone

Last point and that will be to answer the inevitable question... Why are you doing this? I am currently paying about $250,000 a year in timeshare maintenance fees, and I'll be 70 years old in a few months. No one in my family wants to take on what has become a fairly successful business, so its time to work on an exit strategy..call it estate planning or a business continuation plan. By the way I have 5 VIP Platinum accounts I am open to offers of $0 for a whole account, Platinum status intact

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So... the new owner has to pay MF for 93 years, before they get any points? That seems extreme - even from Ron.
So whats the catch? Those of you that know me know the answer. I have used all the points from these contracts and the next use is the 2109 use year

;)

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron are the platinum accounts in an LLC? If not how will VIP transfer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron are the platinum accounts in an LLC? If not how will VIP transfer?

2 yes and 2 no

but that's not the secret. And I'm not going to reveal my secrets such as they are, even to a buyer. Nor will I guarantee anything except to take it back (at my expense) if I fail

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 yes and 2 no

but that's not the secret. And I'm not going to reveal my secrets such as they are, even to a buyer. Nor will I guarantee anything except to take it back (at my expense) if I fail

Daddy? Is that you?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Daddy? Is that you?

No not quite although I considered asking Linda to marry me 5 years ag to get to her VIP status

I found another path but I believe Linda is still single

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 yes and 2 no

I would have been disappointed if it was the secret.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Is this the end - of an era

Hey Ron ,
I hope my comment the other night about Ron Parise buying points like McDonald's hamburgers - millions & millions signs isn't what triggered this
plan .

I still need to take my wife to NOLA one day ( a promise I cannot break ) and I figured your website would make it a lot easier to find good dates than RCI .

Am I really reading that the TUG Warren Buffet of Wyndham points is calling it quits ?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron ,
I hope my comment the other night about Ron Parise buying points like McDonald's hamburgers - millions & millions signs isn't what triggered this
plan .

I still need to take my wife to NOLA one day ( a promise I cannot break ) and I figured your website would make it a lot easier to find good dates than RCI .

Am I really reading that the TUG Warren Buffet of Wyndham points is calling it quits ?

Not quit altogether but the goal is to slim down to a more manageable size. I think my next birthday is affecting me more than I thought it would. I started this with the goal of making a couple of extra dollars to supplement my retirement income. And I continued because I was having a good time. I'm thinking 10 years down the road and asking myself, is this what I want to be doing at 80? And more to the point ,,, can I do this at 80?
It took me 5 years to build this thing and it will probably take 5 to un build it. 75 seems like a good time to retire

Having said all that I've been here before. I sold off 2/3 of what I had 2 years ago and I ended up buying it all back. Don't be surprised if I do it again

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not quit altogether but the goal is to slim down to a more manageable size. I think my next birthday is affecting me more than I thought it would. I started this with the goal of making a couple of extra dollars to supplement my retirement income. And I continued because I was having a good time. I'm thinking 10 years down the road and asking myself, is this what I want to be doing at 80? And more to the point ,,, can I do this at 80?
It took me 5 years to build this thing and it will probably take 5 to un build it. 75 seems like a good time to retire

Having said all that I've been here before. I sold off 2/3 of what I had 2 years ago and I ended up buying it all back. Don't be surprised if I do it again

I hope you unload one of your platinums at the end of the 5 years. I'll be ready for it by then. :/

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I hope you unload one of your platinums at the end of the 5 years. I'll be ready for it by then. :/

The TUG vultures are circling

Denise - don't you want one of those 93 year contracts ?

Seriously - Ron's deal is actually pretty good for(an example) someone in there early 60's who knows they will have more travel weeks in 3 years when they retire.
Canterbury is San Francisco - so ARP there ( I think )
plus if you use as off season points in Daytona, Branson etc at say 8000 per night you could get 62 or so nights / over 8 weeks .
Instead of paying lump sum on ebay right now - you assume monthly MF
of under $200 ( 500,000 divided by 1000 x $ 4. -= $2000 yr ) and when you retire you hit the road .

Add the million point contract and you can sell your home and live in Wyndhams most of the year .
PS - the new (healthy) senior retirement apartment with dining, a lobby bar , car service , etc that is opening near me - STARTS at $ 4000 a month
This is a better deal .

Did I miss anything ?

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

**....<snip>
of under $200 ( 500,000 divided by 1000 x $ 4. -= $2000 yr ) and when you retire you hit the road .

Add the million point contract and you can sell your home and live in Wyndhams most of the year .
PS - the new (healthy) senior retirement apartment with dining, a lobby bar , car service , etc that is opening near me - STARTS at $ 4000 a month
This is a better deal .

Did I miss anything ?

Mfs are at least now $5-6/1,000 points on low contracts.

I am using $6.50 -$6.75/K in MF cost for future years' planning for my South Florida ownerships.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mfs are at least now $5-6/1,000 points on low contracts.

I am using $6.50 -$6.75/K in MF cost for future years' planning for my South Florida ownerships.

not Canterbury... its still under $4

Contract Type: Undivided Interest (UDI)
Total HOA Fee
Total HOA Fee for 1,000 Points: $3.37
Maintenance Fees: (500,000 / 1000) * $2.63 = $1,315.00
Reserve Fund: (500,000 / 1000) * $0.40 = $200.00
Property Tax: (500,000 / 1000) * $0.34 = $170.00
Total HOA Fee: (500,000 / 1000) * $3.37 = $1,685.00
Program Fee
Program Rate for 1,000 Points: $0.57
Program Fee: (500,000 / 1000) * $0.57 = $285.00
CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Assessment
Annual Fee: $1,685.00 + $285.00 = $1,970.00
* Monthly Fee: $1,970.00 / 12 = $164.17

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Seriously - Ron's deal is actually pretty good for(an example) someone in there early 60's who knows they will have more travel weeks in 3 years when they retire.
Canterbury is San Francisco - so ARP there ( I think )
plus if you use as off season points in Daytona, Branson etc at say 8000 per night you could get 62 or so nights / over 8 weeks .

This is a better deal .

Did I miss anything ?

the best use of Canterbury points is I think in other resorts in the off season, especially the legacy resorts like Fairfield Bay where a one bedroom in quiet season is 42000 points or at the Canterbury rate, about $168 In a Platinum account $84 a week ($12 a night)

and the way you see this deal is exactly the way I see it. The monthly fees are $164 If you figure 2 years until you can make your first reservation, thats a "purchase price" of $4000 which is under a penny a point...not too bad. Oh and by the way, try and find a Canterbury contract on ebay now...there arent any

actually however you will be able to make your first reservation in Jan 2017 if you use the credit pool

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Not retired and not enough vacation - so not a buyer - BUT

Since most of my Wyndham knowledge comes from TUG owner -renters -
am I correct that this the Canterbury contract gives some kind of ARP at home resort - and if used shoulder season at lower point resorts - you could get in the neighbourhood of 2 months use for $ 2K a year ?

Additionally - 500K points should get 2-3 weeks at Canterbury ( I don't own so no point chart - so I am going by memory from reading ebay listings)

If bought and reserved for when the new Stanford etc grads head for SF and need a short term home until they find an apt /roommate . Perhaps there is a rental opportunity via an Air B&B or similar - when the points start . - (by then it may be renting on the next generation app that is not yet in the market )

*** added- maybe not < see post 20 and 21 > (at points cost-I was thinking 180K week) unless your platinum (?) or the bank of Mom &Dad really subsidizes the new grad

- Just thoughts

Have a cottage I use weekends and a couple of summer weeks ,+ 2 Winter Mayan weeks plus 18 TPU's a year -and still working - so I am not ready for this deal .

But interesting .

Last edited:

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points Chart - Wyndham Canterbury San Francisco
Weeks 1-52
1 BR 300,000 per week
2 BR Deluxe 400,000 per week
1 BR Presidential 400,000 per week
2 BR Presidential 500,000 per week
3 BRPresidential 625,000 per week

Unless someone was VIP Gold or Platinum (to get the discount) the cost to stay at this resort seems high to me. Points used to stay elsewhere would be more cost efficient.

Maintenance fees of $4 per 1,000 pts is VERY GOOD!
The waiting period to get the points (unless you use the credit pool needs to be considered. Long term versus short term usage.

Cynthia T. :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points Chart - Wyndham Canterbury San Francisco
Weeks 1-52
1 BR 300,000 per week
2 BR Deluxe 400,000 per week
1 BR Presidential 400,000 per week
2 BR Presidential 500,000 per week
3 BRPresidential 625,000 per week

Unless someone was VIP Gold or Platinum (to get the discount) the cost to stay at this resort seems high to me. Points used to stay elsewhere would be more cost efficient.

Maintenance fees of $4 per 1,000 pts is VERY GOOD!
The waiting period to get the points (unless you use the credit pool needs to be considered. Long term versus short term usage.

Cynthia T. :)

The urban resorts ALL seem to have a HIGH point cost to reserve .. it makes SELLING the resort easy ... ie:
Look these MFs per 1,000 points is CHEAP ... look how much a place in Vegas will cost up to stay; Or Hawaii. And dang, Wyndham sales gets the resort SOLD.

Yes, Platinum VIPs owning at other resorts, still see a decent value when using the 50% discount and unit upgrade.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can Ron, or another Wyndham points expert please clarify this for me?

The new owner will have to pay the maintenance fees on these contracts for the rest of 2016, 2017 and 2018, but they won't get any points until the 2019 points are available - correct?

How much will the maintenance fees be for 2016, 2017 and 2018 (total)?

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can Ron, or another Wyndham points expert please clarify this for me?

The new owner will have to pay the maintenance fees on these contracts for the rest of 2016, 2017 and 2018, but they won't get any points until the 2019 points are available - correct?

How much will the maintenance fees be for 2016, 2017 and 2018 (total)?

For the Canterbury, for example, buyer would be responsible for about half of 2016 by the time transfer is complete, so 2.5 years. $4*500=2,000 for 2.5 years would be about $5K plus MF increases. First year of actual use could be in 1.5 years if the buyer credit pools.

So $10/K spread over 2.5 years isn't a bad deal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, one way to look at this is that the price of "buying it" is [$5,000], but you pay it in maintenance fees, instead of to the seller.

*Amount corrected.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
So, one way to look at this is that the price of "buying it" is $10,000, but you pay it in maintenance fees, instead of to the seller.

And ( IMO ) since your not paying a lump sum ( ie if it was on ebay ) and instead monthly payments this may be( for certain buyers) a better way to purchase especially if your use goal is 2 + years in the future .
( ie when retired / or similar )

Sort of like a Christmas Layaway Timeshare
or Will Call - as it was referred to in St. Louis ( when we lived there in the 80's )

and Denise - YOU- can use it in 93 years .

I really laughed when reading the first 11 posts in this last night
between the 93 years & the marry to get Elite & Ron's secret knowledge

Last edited: