• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Maintenance Fee Value for Money

Reaction score
Hello all

Is it just me, or does it seem like Wyndham (and probably timeshares in general) are becoming less attractive because maintenance fees keep going up? We have 154,000 points at Canterbury, and PIC in another 254,000 from an RCI resort. Combined maintenance fees on the two properties total about $1200-1300 a year. With the increasing number of timeshare rentals and other vacation rental options available online, it seems like I might be better off using the maintenance fee costs to book hotels and condos, with greater selection and flexibility? Wyndham resorts are very nice, but maintenance fees appear to be increasing at a faster rate than the cost of accommodations in general. And of course, as we know, timeshares are worth next to nothing on the aftermarket. This is probably due to overbuilding, and other people getting out of their timeshares, thus glutting the market with inventory. Will there be a point in the next decade or so where it doesn't make sense to keep timeshares at all? Is anyone else coming to this conclusion as well?

Scott

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your mf is low, my 2017 mf for a 1-bed in Sea Gardens Ocean Palms will be over $1200 for a fixed week with 140,000 points. They have $300 in the reserve fund.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If my math is right, you are paying under $3.20 in MFs (before program fees) per K. That's a *very good* ratio. I have a similar $/K ratio, and find good value in using Wyndham points to book stays. For example, my wife has a conference in San Diego coming up this May. I booked her a stay at Harbor Lights, within easy walking distance of the convention center, for less than $110/night all-in. Except for hostels with shared baths (yeah, no) nothing else is less than 2x that. Yes, there are times when it would be cheaper to use cash. But, if you are traveling to popular locations in high-demand times, owning still probably delivers good value.

But, over the years I've decided that the value to me of ownership is less about "saving money" than it is having a mechanism that encourages me to take more vacations. I can get those vacations at reasonable cost, and it's not too hard to plan for.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
my wife has a conference in San Diego coming up this May. I booked her a stay at Harbor Lights, within easy walking distance of the convention center, for less than $110/night all-in.

We were at Harbor Lights in April using my Panama City points at $4.50/1000. A nice hotel and a great deal with weekday rate starting on Sunday. Next April I have Waikiki booked for about $100 per night. Those low mf points are nice. Fixed weeks not so good, but I own week 7, 9th floor, so I'll stick with it for now.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your mf is actually quite low as has already been said. But your point is well taken. If maintenance fees get to be more than fair market rents, the value proposition is lost. Already there are times and places where that's true , I'm sure. But there are times and places where maintenance fees are low compared to market rents. My favorite example is Mardi Gras in New Orleans where my maintenance fees for a studio are less than a third of what a hotel would cost. And I get a kitchen

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
I personally think that there's a lot of value for the Wyndham maintenance fees. The costs that I'm struggling are exchange fees and membership fees for RCI and II. Wyndham stays are so cheap for what you get.