*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

[WSJ] Looking for sailing excursion recommendations

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by PegNSteve, May 5, 2012.

1. PegNSteve

PegNSteve Guest

We will be heading down to St. John on May 13......and would like to arrange at least one day of sailing/snorkeling around the area for 6 people. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who is the best provider of these types of excursions? We used the folks that go out of the Westin once for sunset sail/snorkel and were not pleased ' cause they rushed us. Appreciate any info. You can email me direct at pegjanderson@hotmail.com

2. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TUG Member

We have arranged private tours through Cruz Bay at the Westin (basically renting a boat and arranging for a captain). They won't rush you - they're paid by the hour! Make sure everyone has passports or you'll be forced to stay in US waters.

Last time I checked, there were lots of reviews of various providers on tripadvisor.

3. Rascalsmom

Rascalsmom TUG Member

We used Sailsafaris -- great experience on "Flygirl" catamaran. Met him in downtown Cruz Bay.

sailsafaris.net

4. mindy35

mindy35 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We will be on the Fly Girl this Wed 5/9. Have heard great things. Will let you know.

5. mindy35

I just got off the "Fly Girl" and cant recommend it more highly.
    We had a great day with Bridget and Sarah. The boat is stable, low key (not crowded) and comfortable catamaran.
    Great day for sailing and snorkeling in the usvi and then to jost van dyke.
    Lunch there was great, then we head to another beach for drinks. We may have preferred more snorkeling instead but all was good!

6. Rascalsmom

Rascalsmom TUG Member

YAYAYAY! We are headed down there in early July. When I read your post I was reminded of how much fun it is and I got a big burst of excitement! Enjoy the rest of your vacation. :whoopie:

7. Westin5Star

Westin5Star TUG Member

My wife and I have been to St. John the past couple of years. Each time we took a larger (tourist) boat with a lot of other people that cost us $100-150 per person. Each year we also chartered a private boat for about $600 or so plus about $100 for gas. If I had 6 people in my party, I would do a private boat. You may save money and you can go wherever you want in your own time. All of the boat captains will be able to make recomendations on where you might want to visit. I would suggest, Willy T, Jost Van Dyke (Foxy's and Soggy Dollar), and a quick visit to Sandy Spit. Virgin Gorda Baths and Caves are cool but is a little farther out of the way. Have fun!

8. LisaRex

LisaRex TUG Member

I definitely agree with the recommendation to hire a private boat for 6 people. Cost is the same as taking a large tour boat, but you'll be able to plan your own day.

9. ekinggill

ekinggill TUG Member

We have sailed with Captain Jini Lewis on the Dream Weaver twice. Fabulous time. Tell her what brands you like and she will have them on the boat. (both beer and hard liquor)

Last year we went out with her on our anniversary trip for a day sail. That night at dinner she sent a bottle of champaigne to our table. (She heard us talk about it on the boat and found us!)

Her contact info is as follows:

jinilew@yahoo.com

340-643-7170

10. mindy35

Sail Safari which runs Fly Girl and Dell Rose both have a max of 6 people, cost $720 and $780 A/I respectively (no extra for gas) + tips to charter the whole boat.

http://sailsafaris.net/index.html