TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Would you move to Florida ?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by billymach4, Sep 11, 2017.

1. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Nope, I Snowbird in Steamboat Springs CO. My in laws moved to Siesta Key 20 or so years ago and love it. Can't contact them now as I think they have lost power.

Cheers

2. WalnutBaron

WalnutBaron TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, HGVCx2
    Words to live by. Thanks, Ron.

clifffaith and wackymother like this.
  3. AnnaS

AnnaS TUG Member

We could definitely become snowbirds. Rent or find a nice little condo for the perfect price. We sold my in-law's in Jupiter about 5 years ago. Not ready at the time to go back and forth and taxes/fees were crazy. Two of my sons are married and live here (one has three kids). Not sure where my daughter will end up but I can't leave them permanently. Home/family/friends all here. If we don't buy something soon - we will just rent - don't want to buy late in life (like my in-laws 70s) and start having medical problems not long after - not that it can't happen now/anytime because it has with hubby at 48. Just a lot to think about!! Fun to speculate :)

4. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, Pines,
    Fishermen's Village
    After a Hurricane, no one wants to move to Florida, but let a few months pass and when the snow flies, so will the snowbirds!
    Silentg

5. PGtime

PGtime TUG Member

My sister used to live in Vero Beach and we loved to visit FL in the winter. We went there in August one year and WOW was it hot. I am certainly used to heat and humidity here in VA (and in SC when we're there) but what I am not used to (nor do I want to get used to) is well over 90 degrees and awful humidity at 11:00 at night. So, no, despite the nice winters, I could not live there during the summer. Currently our plan is to retire in HHI, as the winters are mild but there are still 4 seasons.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul

silentg and mpumilia like this.
  6. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Canyon lake is nice. I had a friend who had a second house there for years.

silentg likes this.
  7. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    When the snow flies, the spirit soars!

tashamen and rapmarks like this.
  8. Joe33426

Joe33426 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
    I'm always so surprised when people mention BUGS as a reason not to live in Florida. That's truly the least of my issues with Florida. Having lived in Southeast FL for 25+ years we seldom, if ever, struggle with bugs. We have a pest control company that treats once a quarter and NO bugs in the house. Perhaps in more rural areas, bugs may be a problem, but not in the urban areas.

The humidity, now that's an issue, especially in the summer months. But it's really quite manageable, even in the summer. Just stay indoors from about noon to 4:00 p.m. As Ron mentions upthread, we have three AMAZING months of weather and six good months of weather. That really just leaves three months of brutal weather.

I can pretty much travel during June, July and August and we can basically choose where we want to be those three months. We generally spend the month of June traveling on pleasure and the month of August on Cape Cod, so that leaves July. We usually spend a week in Hilton Head in July, but the other three weeks in South Florida. We choose to spend those three weeks in South Florida over NYC. NY is just miserable for us in the summer. The restaurants are not air conditioned, the subways are hot as hell, and too many tourists reading maps. FL has "proper" air conditioning.... not matched in many places...

Hurricane Irma has me really questioning our long-term plans in retirement. The idea was to have a place on the water on Hilton Head for May - September and winter in Southeast Florida. I'm just not sure now. We've lived through many hurricanes, Andrew, Irene, Frances, Jeanne, Wilma, Matthew, and now Irma. We were SO lucky this time.... The way that the storm was predicted, Palm Beach County was going to be decimated. So, bugs, humidity, traffic, and such really don't make me not love living in FL, but these storms are really not good... Maybe our plan should be summer in Hilton Head and winter in Henderson, Nevada. I've got about 20 years to figure that out, a lot could change in that time...

silentg likes this.
  9. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    San Francisco is the exception due to the location. I had fun with cousins (from Florida) who visited in July some years ago and we met in SF, and they were freezing while I was enjoying the weather (as LA had been hot before I left).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jackio likes this.
  10. FLDVCFamily

FLDVCFamily TUG Member

Well I live in FL, so yes, I would. Hurricanes are stressful, but so is bad weather in other parts of the country.

silentg likes this.
  11. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Even natives can be surprised. We lived in the East Bay, which is always warmer than San Francisco. There was one day we decided to drive into San Francisco for the day. As we got closer to the bridge the temperature dropped from the 80's into the low 60's. None of us had prepared for that, so we turned around and spent the day in Berkeley.

That said, we just spent a week in San Francisco in May. Got up to almost 100 in the city. And just recently they've had some extremely warm weather. The climate, it be a changing.

amycurl and jackio like this.
  12. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

And you survived?:D

Cheers

Patri likes this.
  13. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Most definitely. :)

14. PStreet1

PStreet1 TUG Lifetime Member

We searched diligently just about everywhere below the Mason Dixon line before deciding to move. Florida was the first place we eliminated as a possibility, so no, we wouldn't move there (hurricanes didn't enter into the decision).

15. DonnaD

DonnaD TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I would not move to Florida as permanent residence. My 3 children's families all live within 10 minutes of me. They will help me when I have health issues or need help with house. I help them with grandkids. My dear husband died 16 months ago. My kids were here within minutes. The family is my treasure so I want to be near them. I go to Puerto Vallarta for 9 weeks of winter and use my timeshare. The same people go each year so I have friends there.
    Ohio has low cost of living, wonderful friends and family. Our timeshare is a good investment in my lifestyle even as a widow!

AnnaS, Joe33426, silentg and 2 others like this.