• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you move to Florida ?

geekette

Reaction score
"When we retire we will move to Florida"

This is what I heard and witnessed in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's.
Have many friends and relatives that transplanted to FL over the years. With Andrew in 92, the hurricanes of 2005, now IRMA... What would you think? What would you do?

Florida's population now rivals that of NY. Traffic, heat, humidity.... Don't get me wrong. I love Florida. But when I am 75, 80 yrs of age do I want to put up with the fear of these monster storms?

There are many Floridians here on Tug and my heart goes out to all of the FL residents that have endured this latest storm.

At this moment in time I have told DW that I will not permanently move to FL when we retire. Yes vacation there, but I could not permanently reside there.

What would you do?
I've never understood the flight to FL when retired. It's hot all the time, terribly humid all the time, AC is a necessity and gators (yikes, the gators!). It has never ever been on my To Do list and I frankly don't get it. I've only visited FL a few times and it doesn't really have any huge appeal for me.

Nothing to do with hurricanes, as we get tornadoes here with much less notice and usually no notice. I'm staying where I am in retirement and will visit the world. I might even visit FL.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of Florida even before the big storms. We visit friends and family down there and it's nice for a week or so, but that's enough for us.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think there is a good chance we will end up being snowbirds in FL when we retire (a few years out still), but I don't want to live year-round. Probably rent, or possibly own a condo if the price was right.

Kurt

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope, couldn't live in Florida, even if it was storm free. I presume I will always have a presence in the NW, but even if I decide to buy a 2nd "winter" residence there are other states with warm winter weather that aren't Florida.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
E_FloridaAfter.jpg

This might be Florida by 2100, only 83 years from now. Pick your home's location carefully if you are moving there. None of this will happen all at once. Instead, floods will come and go, Floridians will rebuild, then the floods will come again, ad infinitum. For those of us staying out of Florida, we will be paying over and over and over to have stubborn Floridians rebuild their homes. Nobody will escape unscathed.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
E_FloridaAfter.jpg

This might be Florida by 2100, only 83 years from now. Pick your home's location carefully if you are moving there. None of this will happen all at once. Instead, floods will come and go, Floridians will rebuild, then the floods will come again, ad infinitum. For those of us staying out of Florida, we will be paying over and over and over to have stubborn Floridians rebuild their homes. Nobody will escape unscathed.

The new lost city of Atlantis

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I think there is a good chance we will end up being snowbirds in FL when we retire (a few years out still), but I don't want to live year-round. Probably rent, or possibly own a condo if the price was right.

Kurt

I would like to be a snowbird in Florida as I would already have a ton of relatives and good friends that are planning to make Florida there snowbird home.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are getting me to second guess my decision to move to Florida 22 years ago

......... thinking.......

Nope still the best place I can think of.
The weather is great 3 months of the year and good another 6 months. Taxes are good housing prices good

Sandiego has better weather, but I can't afford the housing and taxes are outrageous

Western North Carolina deserves a look but I can't think of anyplace else that would please me

Certainly not the Pacific Northwest with all the rain

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are getting me to second guess my decision to move to Florida 22 years ago

......... thinking.......

Nope still the best place I can think of.
The weather is great 3 months of the year and good another 6 months. Taxes are good housing prices good

Sandiego has better weather, but I can't afford the housing and taxes are outrageous

Western North Carolina deserves a look but I can't think of anyplace else that would please me

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...stions-about-full-timing.261414/#post-2044303

According to your post above, you are in your 70s, so you're not likely to get too many chances at rebuilding after catastrophic flooding.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not humid in winter, almost no rain all winter, someone said taxes are high, please I pay under two thousand, house would sell for 300k, I pay twice as much in Wisconsin for less valuable house. I also don't have problems with bugs the seven and a half months I spend there. In Wisconsin I can't sit on my deck or take a walk without swatting mosquitoes constantly.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Nope, couldn't live in Florida, even if it was storm free. I presume I will always have a presence in the NW, but even if I decide to buy a 2nd "winter" residence there are other states with warm winter weather that aren't Florida.
+1
I'm not crazy about Arizona, which is pretty much the west coast equivalent of Florida for retirees. But would prefer over Florida for distance to my hometown and grown kids.

......... thinking.........

To each their own :)
PNW even with rain has milder winters than mid-west and NE. Very little snow.
I'd like to snowbird in Honolulu, if I want humidity. Yes cost of living is high, but I have family there, and my mom manages fairly well on a small retirement income.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can write a list of objections for any place on earth, but just restricting it to the US I'd rule out Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico because the dry air, gives me nosebleeds. California because of earthquakes, and Alaska because Sara Palin lives there (and because it gets cold) Id rule out the pacific Northwest because it rains so much and every other state because it gets cold there. Im left with Hawaii, but not sure of that because of the Volcanoes. Perhaps Guam, but since I learned that Kim has his sights on Guam, I dont think I want to go their either

I had nose bleeds whenever I travelled to Arizona and Nevada a couple of times a year many years ago. Someone had told me that one gets used to it. From my personal experience it is true. No nose bleeds.

Your comment about Sarah Palin gave me the chuckles. My first time to Alaska, the tour guide said the highest drug use and alcohol use place in the US was Alaska. Long winters are depressing.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that and left. Ten or so years ago we moved to Naples FL because widowed father-in- law lived there. I was up for an adventure. Turns out this California girl couldn't hack the heat and humidity. Dear Dad remarried, discovered a love of cruising and we hardly saw them. Found a way out and returned to CA. We were smart and had held onto our home so had a place to return to.

My husband has since passed away, Dear Dad is going strong. But I have no desire to return. Ever.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Every year as the tornadoes hit the mid-west or hurricanes ravage Florida and the Gulf states, we opine that we'd rather live with the occasional earthquake. We said more than once while watching the poor folks up to their rafters in floodwaters from Harvey, "well at least The Big One will be dry unless it happens to fall on the rare rainy day". I prefer my rubble dry, that's for sure!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Truth be told, I'll probably stay in Idaho. Yes, we get some winter, but Nature usually has the consideration to keep the majority of the white stuff in or near the ski resorts & high mountains where you can't go anyway. We plan a nice lengthy cruise or TS stay to escape the worst of it in Jan/Feb. We don't get enough rain to even mention it. We live in sagebrush desert. Single digit humidity, few bugs. clear skies. Low taxes (politics are ultra conservative- but not idiotically so). No hurricanes or tornados. A Summer thunder storm is a rare occurrence. There ARE brush and forest fires that can- and do- make the air smoky from time-to-time. There is no oil under the lava that passes for dirt, so no fracking is, or ever will be happening here. Earthquakes barely rattle the dishes. Comparatively few people live here, but we've been discovered- if you feel like joining us, better hurry.

Now if we could attract some semi-major sports franchise. . . . . :) I guess there's always competitive fly-fishing....

taffy19

Reaction score
Truth be told, I'll probably stay in Idaho. Yes, we get some winter, but Nature usually has the consideration to keep the majority of the white stuff in or near the ski resorts & high mountains where you can't go anyway. We plan a nice lengthy cruise or TS stay to escape the worst of it in Jan/Feb. We don't get enough rain to even mention it. We live in sagebrush desert. Single digit humidity, few bugs. clear skies. Low taxes (politics are ultra conservative- but not idiotically so). No hurricanes or tornados. A Summer thunder storm is a rare occurrence. There ARE brush and forest fires that can- and do- make the air smoky from time-to-time. There is no oil under the lava that passes for dirt, so no fracking is, or ever will be happening here. Earthquakes barely rattle the dishes. Comparatively few people live here, but we've been discovered- if you feel like joining us, better hurry.

Now if we could attract some semi-major sports franchise. . . . . :) I guess there's always competitive fly-fishing....
Friends of ours moved to Idaho many years ago and bought property right on the lake (Coeur d'Alene) before it was discovered yet. They absolutely loved it and didn't regret leaving Southern California one little bit. Fly fishing was my husband's hobby together with his friend.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Graduated with a BS from a Florida university .... move back home to home for a decent job. WDW opened during my sophomore year and many of my classmates had part time jobs there. I liked my Florida before the mouse moved east and became dominate in the central part of the state....where it was all orange groves or cattle ranches before.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia is #12. Lived here in this area all my life. Close to the beach, not too far from the mountains. Fairly mild winters. Probably will be right here the rest of my life.