• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you buy beach place not in Florida club for rental purposes?

by BeachPlace Platinum non-Florida club for rental?

• Total voters

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
Trying to decide if I should buy Platinum beachplace two bedroom lock off for dirt cheap just for rental purposes. MF are about $1550 a year so I would need to get about $2500 for a rental to make it worth my while. It's not a Florida club so does that kill it for the rental since I can't get the platinum Oceanpoint ? I see a bunch of New Year's reservations on red week for about 400-500 per night, but are they actually getting it? Or are they being talked down to half that is the question.

Thanks guys!

wisbadgerm

Reaction score
Personally I would never buy a timeshare just for rental. Renting is a pain, takes a long time, can be scammed and carries some risk of getting stuck with damages. Also it is a difficult asset to sell. I have rented my BeachPlace unit when I did not plan to use it and it generally does rent for more than maintenance fees.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own about a mile further north of Beachplace in Ft Lauderdale. It is not a Marriott but the MFs are almost 1/2 ($880) that of BP and the 2/2 units are ALL lockoffs. All the units are deeded fixed weeks (some converted RCI Points) ... and yes, I own a couple of Fixed Week 52s. (resort has FREE parking, too). Renting is harder every year. When I first owned these winter timeshares 12 years ago, most guests stayed between 3 to 6 weeks, usually from Canada; now all the guests stay for between 1 week BUT want a rental covering 2 weekends with the week in between OR they want a Wed to Wed week as airfare is cheaper.

Renting ANYTHING as a luxury for most families ... as people have less paid vacation time and flying a family plus a rental car gets more expensive. My sister rents her inlaw's Atlantic Ocean beachfront 2bdr condo in Maryland for the summer ... and more of these (drive to) rentals each year are happening in the 3 weeks or less before check than prior years. I even put 3 summer weeks up for rent on Redweek 2 weeks before checkin (building was copied .. one sold FULL ownership; other was a timeshare sold ... and her in-laws had brought a fixed TS summer week before they had the money for the Full share condo unit. My sister has been involved with those rentals for over 25 years ... and up to 10 years ago, she would just mail out the rental agreements to the prior year's guests ... get a check back with the rental paperwork or a call explain, they were not going but their FRIENDS would love to rent their week. And she was just dumbfounded that these PRIME summer beachfront weeks were lagged as unrented more and more the past few years.

Last edited:

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally I would never buy a timeshare just for rental. Renting is a pain, takes a long time, can be scammed and carries some risk of getting stuck with damages. Also it is a difficult asset to sell. I have rented my BeachPlace unit when I did not plan to use it and it generally does rent for more than maintenance fees.

Do you have a 2BR platinum? That's surprising it doesn't rent for more than $225/night considering the daily rate and high season/special event weeks.

Seems there are a few people on here that do well with renting timeshares as a side business if they buy them cheap enough.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not see Beach Place as a good option for a rentals. Lots of better Marriott options available if you want to own for just rental purposes.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at Redweek I think there appears to be a decent rental market for BP and it's very possible you could do it based on the ads I see listed. Listings don't equal rentals but the range and quantity can give you some indication, at least they do for me after so many years of renting my Marriotts.

Also other TSs rental history isn't relative to me because Marriott is a brand that many more people will feel comfortable renting because they know the quality they will receive. Even if your resort is as nice it doesn't matter because the Marriott brand is a big draw.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All the units at Beach Place Towers are in the Florida Club.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should buy Platinum beachplace two bedroom lock off for dirt cheap just for rental purposes. MF are about $1550 a year so I would need to get about $2500 for a rental to make it worth my while. It's not a Florida club so does that kill it for the rental since I can't get the platinum Oceanpoint ? I see a bunch of New Year's reservations on red week for about 400-500 per night, but are they actually getting it? Or are they being talked down to half that is the question.

Thanks guys!
Are you sure it's not in the FC? I was thinking the only one that had some with and some without was GV.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All the units at Beach Place Towers are in the Florida Club.
damn, wish I had known that, I would have bid higher. The EbaySeller told me it wasn't.

I got out bid. It was 2 platinum weeks with free closing and the high bid was $5 with 20 mins to go. I bid $1500 and got outbid, sold for $2500 for both weeks. I didn't think it would go that high. Still for $1250/ week for a 2 bed plat lock off beachplace Florida Club seems like a good deal when people are asking $3500-$5000 for a New Years Eve Week and the MF are $1550/each.

Oh well, waiting still on my ROFR for the 2 bed lockoff Harbour lake Plat for $100 and my 3 Bed GV Gold week for $1500. I hope I get 1 or both at this point. Harbour Lake we will use and the 3Bed GV is mainly for trading purposes and breaking it into 3-4 shorter trips to Orlando, Palm Beach, etc.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ebay sellers often know nothing more than what they see on the deed and on the estoppel. I don't believe that Marriott indicates Florida Club on the Estoppel. So I am not surprised you got bad information from the Ebay seller. Best to always check here. Of the FC properties, only Grande Vista has certain units not in the Club.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
damn, wish I had known that, I would have bid higher. The EbaySeller told me it wasn't.

I got out bid. It was 2 platinum weeks with free closing and the high bid was $5 with 20 mins to go. I bid $1500 and got outbid, sold for $2500 for both weeks. I didn't think it would go that high. Still for $1250/ week for a 2 bed plat lock off beachplace Florida Club seems like a good deal when people are asking $3500-$5000 for a New Years Eve Week and the MF are $1550/each.

Oh well, waiting still on my ROFR for the 2 bed lockoff Harbour lake Plat for $100 and my 3 Bed GV Gold week for $1500. I hope I get 1 or both at this point. Harbour Lake we will use and the 3Bed GV is mainly for trading purposes and breaking it into 3-4 shorter trips to Orlando, Palm Beach, etc.
I saw that one and considered bidding but that property scares me a little with the past conflict between the BOD & Marriott and the relatively high fees.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ebay sellers often know nothing more than what they see on the deed and on the estoppel. I don't believe that Marriott indicates Florida Club on the Estoppel. So I am not surprised you got bad information from the Ebay seller. Best to always check here. Of the FC properties, only Grande Vista has certain units not in the Club.

Interesting so all of Legend's Edge are? I was going to bid on those as well for trading purposes but the sellers were saying 'not in florida club'.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting so all of Legend's Edge are? I was going to bid on those as well for trading purposes but the sellers were saying 'not in florida club'.
Correct. All of Legends Edge, Beach Place, Ocean Point and Doral are in the Florida Club. Only certain units at Grande Vista are in the club. Attached is the document from Marriott outlining the resorts in the club.

Attachments

• ParticipatingFloridaClub.pdf
    247.4 KB · Views: 41

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Admittedly I think it's too risky to purchase timeshares with the intention to cover MF's and transaction costs via rental activity, especially thinking longterm.

But I think there's an added risk if the intent is to buy a Week and use it to exchange within the Florida Club for high-demand inventory because while the Florida Club is a nice added feature of any Weeks, you can't take advantage of it until the 6- and 7-months Reservation Windows open. The highest-demand inventory is most likely going to be booked before then, when the 12- and 13-mos windows open.

If you haven't seen it yet here's Dioxide's excellent Florida Club document, which is linked in the Weeks FAQ of this Marriott forum.