• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wondering about moles

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I'm new to TUG but not new to timesharing.

Do you get many instances of people claiming to have one problem or another then the problem gets fixed quickly because they belong to a certain class of ownership only obtained through buying directly from the developer?

The same question for posters who need help recinding or getting rid of a unit, claim to hire a company for help and pay up-front fees then the problem gets solved for them?

It would be nice to have a list of these suspect posters but I guess they'd just change user names as soon as they appeared on the list.

I've seen a couple in the short time I've been reading here that I suspect of doing this but they may be legit so I'll keep the names to myself for now. Don't really want to get into a war of words with anyone especially if they are telling the truth about how their troubles were solved.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
People seem to look for any reason to justify to themselves that they made the right choice spending far too much for a retail timeshare. The overwhelming evidence is that the value just isn't there but, after the fact, it's too late for many. Read the stories with the very human desire to make one's self feel as good as possible in mind and the posts make perfect sense. The poster really doesn't know that resale/retail made no difference to the outcome but it makes them feel much better about paying more if somehow it seems they got a benefit they otherwise wouldn't.

Also realize that many have found that the extra space most better timeshares offer over hotels and the "forced" nature of having to use what you paid for turn out to be a positive to owners no matter how they bought in or what they paid. Better to pay too much and enjoy a number of enjoyable vacations than to have none so it isn't all bad. While most here believe resale timeshares offer the best value to buyers all owners / guests are welcome and if asked helped regardless of how/what they may have done to be interested in timesharing. It is a great group.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
It's a fairly common tactic that follows a well worn and easily identifiable script.

We mock then ruthlessly. :hysterical:

One thing you'll notice is most of these folks are what we call "Shills"...one post and done. Or if they are persistent, you might find a small string of posts from them as they try to keep a thread alive.

Advice? Follow your gut. Sorry to quote everybody's parents here but "If it's too good to be True..." If you see a very low post count and it sounds like they are selling, move on.

That all said...if you really want to pay me an upfront fee of $3500-$6000, I'm certain I could make that timeshare disappear...and I'll actually do the work! OK, I'd dump it on Ebay and pay closing...still come out ahead.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No magic beans, no "easy buttons", no enchanted pixie dust...

<snip> ...posters who need help recinding or getting rid of a unit, claim to hire a company for help and pay up-front fees then the problem gets solved for them?

I suspect that your suspicions and intuitions are sound and solid, at least as far as any and all "upfront fee" and /or "successful recovery" claims and fairy tales go.

I admire the audacity (...but certainly not the dishonesty) of those who would step forward to attempt to "snooker" others here on TUG with absurd success stories which lack even the tiniest iota of credibility; this is certainly not the right crowd for snake oil salesmen. By the same token, it's sometimes entertaining to see intrepid shills bravely pop their heads up above the tall grass anyhow to proclaim absurd and incredible success stories --- only to be promptly decapitated (figuratively speaking). The most entertaining of all are those who "shill" for a business but inadvertently reveal their deception by using that very business' IP address. Moderator Denise is great at ferreting out those particular geniuses and sending them packing.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And then there are certain persons who just scream at owners using their TSs intelligently, as cheating them of good vacations by renting their direct ts ownerships out via eBAY. Or by not exchanging them for other vacations.

Trust me I don't rent on ebay; I have different venues; I don't disguise it as renting to Family and Friends, either. I own GREAT fixed deeded weeks and rent those out. Friends and family (for sure) expect freebies. :ignore:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect that your suspicions and intuitions are sound and solid, at least as far as any and all "upfront fee" and /or "successful recovery" claims and fables go.

I admire the audacity (...but certainly not the dishonesty) of those who would step forward to attempt to "snooker" others on TUG with absurd success stories which lack even the tiniest iota of credibility. By the same token, it's sometimes entertaining to see them bravely pop their heads up above the tall grass anyhow and try to proclaim absurd and incredible success stories anyhow, only to be promptly decapitated (figuratively speaking). ;)

As long as the other Tuggers jump all over them when spotted, I think it will be easy to spot the phony posters.

How you like this one Theo? "Honk if you love Jesus. Text while driving if you want to meet him today!"

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Like" Jesus on Facebook too?

How you like this one Theo? "Honk if you love Jesus. Text while driving if you want to meet him today!"

I like it, but given my lack of faith in the intellect and /or common sense of many on our roadways, my fear is that some might just miss the intended irony --- and try to send that text! :eek:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And then there are certain persons who just scream at owners using their TSs intelligently, as cheating them of good vacations by renting their direct ts ownerships out via eBAY. Or by not exchanging them for other vacations. :ignore:

I haven't seen any of these yet.

I did see an owner complain to the Board of Directors because he saw a unit sell on eBay and that was going to lower the value of his unit. I thought it funny because I'm the one who bought the unit on eBay for $10.50. ( I was in a bidding war with someone)

He still thought his unit was worth what he paid originally so I guess the seller and I are bad guys in some way.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as the other Tuggers jump all over them when spotted, I think it will be easy to spot the phony posters.

Even if we don't jump them, you can easily tell by the way that they post.

Most join and make a post about how great of service they had somewhere. Honestly, if you have great experience somewhere, will you join a website where you don't know anyone and tell them about it? You are much more likely to tell people that you already know.

Just look at the number of posts they have made which shows by their user name. If they have very few posts and they are all promoting something, just ignore all their posts.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like it, but given my lack of faith in the intellect and /or common sense of many on our roadways, my fear is that some might just miss the intended irony --- and try to send that text! :eek:

:hysterical: I hadn't thought of that, I better not make that one into a bumber sticker.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just look at the number of posts they have made which shows by their user name. If they have very few posts and they are all promoting something, just ignore all their posts.

This makes a lot of sense, I'll start looking at that number when I see something suspect, then check their other posts to see what agenda they might have.