• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV/WKORV-N?

LA_Transplant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
I am contemplating purchasing a timeshare at one of these resorts on Maui. Those of you who own or have owned at either of these properties, what wisdom or insight might you share with me before I purchase?

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
I am contemplating purchasing a timeshare at one of these resorts on Maui. Those of you who own or have owned at either of these properties, what wisdom or insight might you share with me before I purchase?
We like having a balcony when we use our studio side, and you only get that in the North.

Ohanamama

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have owned 2 weeks of a 2 bedroom oceanfront deluxe corner units @ WKORV since 2005 and they are the largest and best units available out of all 3 properties. They are lockoffs, and have small balconies for the studio units which are actually on the side of the L shape, not directly oceanfront. The larger 1 bedroom side has a huge lanai that is as close to the ocean and beach as you can get. Definitely check out resales for these as they are the biggest and nicest. We plan on selling our units in 2018 when our daughter graduates college as we are on East Coast and she won't be able to travel when she starts her new chapter.
You may want to rent these units to see if you agree. We have ours rented for 2017 but both 2 beds are available in 2018 if you are interested.Check other comments from OFD owners. They just completed a renovation of all the units in past year. We make reservations exactly 365 days ahead, to the minute to try to snag high floors but lots of folks have many, many weeks and can ace us out in the summer. I believe that these units seldom get released through the hotel side as there is so much demand for them and they are easy for owners to rent their inventory.

Write me if you have any questions and I'll try to help you. Do not buy anything from the developer.
We did before we knew about this.

MattJ

Reaction score
I have stayed in both, but own a 2BR in "South." Generally speaking, I like the layout of the S property a bit better. The views in S tend to be predictable since the property is more symmetrical (look at an overhead view and you will see what I mean). It also means that the lobby and the pool area in S feels more open to the ocean (that said, you can own in either one and use both pools, but it is more convenient if you like one area over the other). It also feels easier to navigate. The rooms are equivalent with full ovens in S and lanai in N Studios (1BR halves on properties have lanais). Choose which is more valuable to you- we rarely eat out and have never booked the Studio alone so the oven is good for us. Despite being older, S feels more comfortable to us and with recent upgrades to the rooms, it feels just as up-to-date as another other local luxury property.

While it was not part of the question, it is worth noting that the new Nanea property has some more meaningful differences. The biggest one for me is that occupancy for 2BR goes from 8 to 6. Also there are no 'lock-offs' so that limits the inventory for 1BR and there are no Studios. Note that while Nanea kitchen have ovens, they do not have as much counter space. Since there are no Resales yet so far as I can tell, it's a bit of a moot point, but its worth understanding that there is a third option now in the area.

(Full transparency- i just rescinded an upgrade from WKORV to Nanea so that probably gives you a sense for where my needs are).

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some other differences of note:
  • The MF's are a few hundred dollars less at WKORV than at WKORVN.
  • If you have younger children that will sleep in the 2nd bedroom, I think North has a better layout. There's a door to the studio side off the main living room. South units have one hallway door into an alcove/entry hall, and each side has a locked door off the alcove, so it's a long way from the studio BR to the MBR. For teens and couples, the South layout provides a bit more privacy.
  • WKORV dining table seats 6, WKORVN dining table seats 4. (We use the table for family meals and games, so we like WKORV)

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Like PamMo, I, personally, like the floor plan of the North units v. the South for families, even though the south side is roomier. The North has a layout similar to adjoining rooms at a hotel. Each side of the lockoff has a door leading out to the common hallway, but there is also a door between the two units that you can prop open to make it seem like one unit. The South has a private vestibule that is shared between the two villas. And the door shuts behind you automatically, so you need to keep your key on you at all times. Certainly not how I'd like to be positioned with young kids, especially since each side has its own stove and lanai, and the hallway door can be locked (via a metal plate) from the inside.

If view is important to you, and/or if you will ever need to rent your unit, then my advice is to buy the best view you can afford. I rent a lot of villas and timeshares, and I exclusively target OF units that are reasonably priced. (Note that competition is fierce for rentals, so don't expect to make a killing when you literally have 1000 other units for rent at the same complex, but you should be able to make a small "profit" (over MFs) if you buy OF or OV.)

For OF, south is going to cost you about $5k more than the north, but the views are superior and lanais much roomier. On the south side, only OF comes with a lanai on both sides of the lockoff. (OV and IV studios have juliet balconies, which IMO are useless.)

If you are eyeing OV, I'd buy north side ONLY. If I wanted IV, I'd rent. No need to buy.

If you plan to lockoff and use each side separately, I'd target the North ONLY because you'll get a full lanai on both sides. OF is still very nice. I owned one and loved the views.

If you love to cook, consider the south as it has full ovens.

Ohanamama speaks of the OF deluxe rooms, which have great views, but beware that their MFs are about 25% higher because of that extra space. Deluxe units also have beautiful light because of an extra window, but they are also hotter.

It's also worth noting that the County of Maui has a vendetta against WKORV. Long story. Owners were assessed ~$650 (IIRC) for "back" property taxes, which Maui assessed against WKORV ONLY, in retaliation for a lawsuit that Westin filed against the County re property tax valuation. Owners may or may not ever see that money again, but realize that in this pissing contest, owners stand to lose the most.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WKORV OF is only $5K more than WKORVN OF? I suggest to check that - from what I see (RW) - more like $10K ($23-24K vs $33-34K) for typical lowest prices.

WKORV OFD is hotter inside due to windows on side? We usually go during Sept (hottest month) and have never noticed it being hot inside the villa (unless the lanai doors are open in late afternoon...).