• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV-N blocked out the week of May 2 for an event week?

zeke013

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Starwood today to make a reservation for the week of May 2, 2008 at WKORV-N - and was told that that week is unavailable for use because it's "Golden Week" in Japan and there is no inventory available to owners. I explained that I was given a Week 1-50 share when I bought and was only told that I couldn't use Christmas and New Year's weeks.

I ended up making a reservation for April 25 instead - which isn't a problem in this case. But I thought that this couldn't be right.

The operator said she was going to check with the resort directly - but that at this time all of the rooms were booked for "resort use" and none available to Starwood owners. She promised to call me back and let me know what's up. Anyone else have this problem this morning? Are there any other dates like this that may be barred from owner use?

As noted above - it's not a big deal to me since I can travel the week prior. But I think it's baloney if it's true . . .

I hope it's a mistake.

KOR5Star

Reaction score
I called Starwood today to make a reservation for the week of May 2, 2008 at WKORV-N - and was told that that week is unavailable for use because it's "Golden Week" in Japan and there is no inventory available to owners. I explained that I was given a Week 1-50 share when I bought and was only told that I couldn't use Christmas and New Year's weeks.

I ended up making a reservation for April 25 instead - which isn't a problem in this case. But I thought that this couldn't be right.

The operator said she was going to check with the resort directly - but that at this time all of the rooms were booked for "resort use" and none available to Starwood owners. She promised to call me back and let me know what's up. Anyone else have this problem this morning? Are there any other dates like this that may be barred from owner use?

As noted above - it's not a big deal to me since I can travel the week prior. But I think it's baloney if it's true . . .

I hope it's a mistake.
I just got off the phone with SVO and they have plenty of weeks for next year. You should call back.

zeke013

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with SVO and they have plenty of weeks for next year. You should call back.

I was able to make a reservation - just not for my preferred week of May 2. Were you able to book the week of May 2?

KOR5Star

Reaction score
I was able to make a reservation - just not for my preferred week of May 2. Were you able to book the week of May 2?
Yes. Not only did I get my room, there seems to be plenty of rooms available.

I'm at WKORV, not WKORV-N, but I can't imagine there would be that much of a difference.

Tomorrow I'll switch it to Saturday to Saturday. I only called today because I was in a panic after I saw your post. :)

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score

Zeke --

I just contacted Starwood and they said there was a great deal of units available (all categories) at WKORV-N with a check-in date of May 02, 2008.

Of course, I could only verify availability in my view category -- Island.

I didn't reserve any as I was merely curious to see if Starwood had indeed "blocked" out the entire resort.

You should call back if you really want May 2nd instead of the week you settled for when you made your reservation.

Good Luck!

Jerry

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I thought 'Golden Week' is in August???
May is one of the lowest demand months for HI.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Japanese Golden Week is always the first week of May. It has something to do with their Emperor's birthday and a few other holidays being together. Japanese usually get about 10 days off around the first week of May and it's one of the busiest vacation time in Japan.

Last edited:

zeke013

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zeke --

I just contacted Starwood and they said there was a great deal of units available (all categories) at WKORV-N with a check-in date of May 02, 2008.

Of course, I could only verify availability in my view category -- Island.

I didn't reserve any as I was merely curious to see if Starwood had indeed "blocked" out the entire resort.

You should call back if you really want May 2nd instead of the week you settled for when you made your reservation.

Good Luck!

Jerry

I am actually in Ocean Front. Wonder if that makes a difference . . .

In any event - I only care if it REALLY can't se the week of May 2. The week prior realy is fine. I just decided to call and schedule because it crossed my mind this morning. I'll update you when I hear back. I got a call this afternoon saying they didn't know yet but would get back to me tomorrow.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

I hope it's a mistake.

I absolutely agree that, if it's true, that is baloney. Unless all the Japanese owners booked up the rooms before you did, then this is completely bogus. I'm sure Starwood would make a great deal of $$ renting these units instead of allowing owners to use them, but that's tough toenails.

Of course, if it IS an event week, then that may be a good week for owners who aren't planning on using their unit to book and rent....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am actually in Ocean Front. Wonder if that makes a difference . . .

In any event - I only care if it REALLY can't se the week of May 2. The week prior realy is fine. I just decided to call and schedule because it crossed my mind this morning. I'll update you when I hear back. I got a call this afternoon saying they didn't know yet but would get back to me tomorrow.

WKORV OF or WKORV-N OF?

There are fewer OF units at WKORV - therefore less inventory - if you are competing with foxed week users - who fixed their week to coincide with 'Golden Week - then even less inventory. I don't know about the WKORV resorts, but other resorts (WPORV and WSJ-BV) are limiting the number of weeks that can be fixed for a given week (50% at WSJ-BV are to be kept float)

zeke013

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a voicemail from Starwood last night. They WERE able to get me in the week of May 2. No explanation for what the confusion was about though . . .