*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

WiFi Only Tablets ?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Doug.Kaya, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Doug.Kaya

Doug.Kaya TUG Member

IPad-2 and now XOOM have both come out with "Wifi-Only" Tablets.
    I googled "Wifi-Only" + "Definition" but still couldn't find the answer to my question.

So here I come to the Land of Tuggers where legions of techies roam.

Questions:
    What is a "WiFi-Only" Tablet ?

How does it differ to a NOT "WiFi-Only" tablet ?

By the name "WiFi-Only" it seems to have serious limitations,
    when you're not near a hot-spot.

Enlighten Me... Please !

Doug

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Elan

Elan TUG Member

It means you can only access the internet via a wi-fi network, not directly via a cellular network. Therefore you must be within range of a wi-fi transmitter (home network, Starbucks, hotel, etc) to access the internet.

3. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

It also means that some of the functions that are internet dependent- like GPS don't work. Balance that out with the fact that there are no cellular or roaming charges with a wi-fi only tablet. The motion detector does work however. One of my favorite apps, StarWalk, still shows the stars, constellations, planets and their paths as you hold the iPad up to the sky. It may be off a few miles from where it last located itself, but when you are dealing with distances in light years, it's of little consequence.

My iPad is wi-fi only, I have a home wireless network, and the vast majority of outside lodgings I patronize have wireless internet, so I can't say I miss 3G (cellular).

I'm sure others feel the need to be more connected than I do.

Jim Ricks

4. Elan

Elan TUG Member

Jim, your statement that GPS won't work isn't exactly accurate. Obviously, GPS reception is independent of cellular reception, so GPS only needs internet access if the map data must be retrieved from a server. If the map data is stored locally (on the device) GPS still works perfectly (I have Garmin XT Mobile map data on my phone, so I can have GPS anywhere out here in the wilds).

5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Jim, it wouldn't surprise me. I constantly find things that the iPad will do that I didn't know it would do. I'm a neophyte with it. If I want GPS, I just fire up the ol' Garmin and there it is in a much handier package- though much smaller screen than the iPad.

Luddite here....

6. Elan

Elan TUG Member

My comments weren't in regard to any specific device, but rather GPS technology in general.

Personally, I find it odd that any GPS device would depend on internet connectivity (except for pseudo real time data, such as traffic, road closures, weather, etc).

7. Doug.Kaya

Doug.Kaya TUG Member

Thank You to both "Jim's"

I am now semi-enlighten :D