• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why so much Mexico timeshare bashing?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't honestly believe that, though, right???? But, plenty of U.S. tourists take up the offer of a free alcoholic beverage or two, or three... during sales presentations.
I don't believe it either. People will say anything to get out of their timeshare and the vultures (ahem... hungry lawyers) love them.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the Mexican timeshare resorts I've visited. So much so that it's the first destination we look at when planning a vacation. I would LOVE to get into, say, a Vidanta at resale. Unfortunately, the Mexican companies have become very good at dissuading resales by selling no use/no mf contracts and by making the transfer fees cost prohibitive. Many of the more attractive ones, except Vida, have gone all inclusive, which also renders trading into them cost prohibitive.

As for presentations, I have never been to one. My wife went to one at Velas last year, as a condition of a good deal, and I have to say that once they saw that she was ill on the day of the presentation, they gave her the incentive and cut her loose. The GM circled back with her at least 4 times around the resort to make sure she was going to be okay.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Been to Mexico many times and learned a lot from TUG before the first trip. Avoiding the shark tank, ignore the sales pitches, enjoy the country and people. I've a Raintree 7 membership bought on eBay that I've used in PV, Cancun and Cabo.

That said, I've been to a few sales pitches if the freebies are good enough and never bought from the developer. Most recent was Westin Lagunamar and that was painless.

I'll keep going until I can't.

Cheers

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were regularly insulted during our Vida presentation, and repeatedly told that we must be lying when we mentioned that 1) we own at an owner-controlled HOA "They don't exist!", 2) our II Premier resort has MF of (at that time) under $500/yr "It must be EOY!", and 3) we couldn't possibly use it to trade into high-end Mexico resorts like theirs "You'll never get in without owning!" (We were at Royal resorts on an AC, pre-AI plan. But I still see Vida resorts all the time on II searches.)

The insults kept growing, until we finally asked, "What makes you think that insulting us and calling us liars will make us more likely to buy?" Honestly, it was so comical at the end we were literally laughing at the guy.

The resorts are beautiful. They may even be worth the resort fee to trade into them someday. The sales guys are on par with Westgate, but with more cartoon villainy that actually increases the enjoyment quota (if you're into that sort of thing, LOL!) And we very much enjoyed the free tours at Xel-Ha and Tulum. And we got a nice breakfast and tour of a different resort. For us, it made a great story and was worth the time investment.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread makes it abundantly clear that the (alleged) "bashing" cited by the OP is not at all about the timeshare properties in Mexico, but about the sleazy and slimy timeshare sales practices in Mexico.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the 'bashing' continues unabated, it might scare off the uninitiated, leaving only those more experienced Mexico lovers to compete with for the outstanding resorts and friendly people. NOW, if we could find a way to magically do away with the scourge of 'All Inclusive' at exorbitant price. . . .

Jim

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of scaring off a few, especially those that go to Laganumar! More available dates for the rest of us!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I LOVE some of the Mexican resorts. Would I buy? No, though we're not buying now since we bought an RV. However, one of the things some of the Mexican resorts do is to give the "good" rooms (i.e. ocean view") to owners vs. trade-in's. Is that worth it to own? Depends on your own desires, I guess. We don't do tours, ever. Our vacation time is too valuable, so I can't speak to the tours. I know Mexico is very easy to trade into, and some resorts give you great spots trying to get you to buy and others give you crappy spots to get you to buy. Research it. I wouldn't buy there. I've read accounts of people also getting "kicked out" of timeshare sales pitches without getting their reimbursement as well. Buyer beware, I guess.

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, best place I ever stayed was Marival Residencies (AI), though the $150 daily cost was high it was an amazing trip. Phenomenal room. Room service beyond compare. Top shelf liquor but the food was also amazing. Great trip. Was a short trip to the beach (not off the hotel though it had ocean views, 5 min) but had an AI VIP beach with servers and shade...amazing. Truly great.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, having never once stayed at any AI resort, what is the customary protocol for tipping at AI facilities in Mexico? :shrug:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would love to try Mexico sometime. The MX exchanges through SFX are abundant. It might be the only way we can use our weeks we have on deposit with SFX.

What time of year should we go to enjoy cooler temps?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, having never once stayed at any AI resort, what is the customary protocol for tipping at AI facilities in Mexico? :shrug:

We usually tip a buck for a couple drinks, $3 for the three of us for breakfast and lunch, and $5-$10 for the three of us for dinner, $20 if I've been well lubricated by tasty margaritas and the service was exceptional. A couple bucks on the pillow every morning for housekeeping. Our tip budget runs $150-$200 for a week. I suspect we're pretty solidly on the high side from looking around at others.

I've heard a lot of other guests saying that these workers are paid appropriately for their economy and the AI fee includes tips. AI usually does include tips, but by the time those tips are spread around the resort, it doesn't amount to much. I don't begrudge servers making a GOOD living for the hard work and great service they provide, and I think it's just arrogant to say we shouldn't tip them because they live in a poorer economy than we do.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to try Mexico sometime. The MX exchanges through SFX are abundant. It might be the only way we can use our weeks we have on deposit with SFX.

What time of year should we go to enjoy cooler temps?

Nov-Feb, which are naturally the peak months. Be careful to see that a resort isn't mandatory all inclusive with a ridiculous AI fee before you book, of course. Seems to be all the rage now.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We actually own at an AI - Royal Solaris - in San Jose del Cabo. We love it. We go there about every other year. We do not pay Maintenance Fees. This was available during the Recession. We had some friends that went to the Solaris sales pitch last year and were told this was no longer offered. Even years we can go there 3 weeks and Odd years we can go there 4 weeks. There are a lot of Bennies we enjoy by being a Member. Members Bar, Member Parties and Dinners, Special items on the Menus, Discounts on the AI fee, etc, etc.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
For our Jan 2018 stay during High Season after our discount it came to just under $95 per day per person. Oh I forgot to mention as a Member the Resort picks up the cost of 1 outside activity per week such as a snorkeling trip. There are actually many activities to choose from. Last year we snorkled with the Whale Sharks in La Paz. There is also the free pickup and delivery to the Airport.