• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Hawaii is trying to ban a common sunscreen

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
By Kendra Pierre-Louis

"The waters surrounding Hawaii's eight main islands contain more than 410,000 acres of living coral reefs. If strung together, the reefs would be bigger than Oahu, Hawaii's third largest island. And because of Hawaii's geographic isolation, the reefs support unique life. The Hawaiian Monk Seal, the Bandit Angelfish—even some of the types of coral that comprise the reef itself—are found nowhere else on earth. It's a shame that our sunscreen might be killing them.

The coral concern is caused by oxybenzone, a chemical which absorbs the sun's UV radiation and gives some (but not all) sunscreens their protective benefit. But oxybenzone might also kill off coral reefs. That's why earlier this year, Hawaii state senator Will Espero introduced a bill that would ban the sale of sunscreens containing oxybenzone within the state of Hawaii. There's a reasonably good chance it will pass and become law.

See the full article:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/04/why-hawaii-is-trying-to-ban-a-common-sunscreen/22069368/

Last edited by a moderator:

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So.... let's let the reefs live while countless thousands develop skin cancer because the non-benzo stuff is not as effective. Makes perfect sense to me

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The reefs are a priceless and irreplaceable home for untold numbers of marine species and every reasonable effort needs to be made to preserve them for the sake of those sea animals and plants and for the future enjoyment of future guests to Hawaii who snorkel and dive in those pristine waters. While I can understand the feeling of some that a state-wide ban would affect even those who never set foot in the ocean, I don't know how you could enforce a partial ban only for ocean-goers. And as the article points out, even those who don't swim in the ocean may be contributing to the problem simply because their shower water carries the residual oxybenzone into the surrounding waterways and eventually to the surrounding seas. If the science is sound--and that is a crucial qualifier--then this kind of legislation is reasonable and necessary.

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry - have to disagree with you. "Even those who don't swim in the ocean may be contributing to the problem simply because their shower water carries the residual ..." I could give a flying ^%&^%. Putting the environment before human health is absolutely absurd. Just cuz they don't swim they should open themselves to skin cancer? Ridiculous! People are more valuable than the reefs.

Oh, and the science is sound? I AM a scientist. You can find a study for every side of every equation. Let's remember that many environmentalists put the environment before the humans for whom they are trying to save it.

End of my comments here. It's really a political discussion and not an environmental one, and I won't get into that here.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
There are other ways of protecting oneself from harmful UV rays (choice of clothing, hats, spending less time in outside during the danger hours, use of alternative sunscreens, etc.). This doesn't have to be an "us vs. the environment" issue, as there are viable alternatives that still allow humans to be protected while protecting the environment.

Kurt

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
To WalnutBrown: I apologize. I have a habit of being overly blunt and direct (something that has come up in my performance reviews over an over again for the past 25 years :)) Comes across as upset, and I am not.

Changed my mind on not commenting further :D. I can't resist [EDITED AGAIN lol]

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Even if you don't want the discussion to go on and on, others may want to discuss it. Everyone is welcome to express their opinion, as long as they comply with the posting rules. It is certainly possible to discuss this as a vacation issue, and not get involved in politics.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Rash guards and even full snorkeling suits are a great option over sunscreen. I break out in a rash, when my skin is in the sun, and so I am extra careful, and covering one's body with these suits is a good idea. I also stay in the shade all of the time. Sunscreen tends to give me a false sense of security, and I have had many a rash because I thought I covered myself thoroughly enough with that stuff. Ten minutes in the sun is all I can take, and after that, I am going to get a rash. I have the whitest skin you have ever seen. No lie.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There is not one bit of data in this article about the actual effects of sunscreen on any particular reefs. ie. which reefs are suffering, and what is the extent. This is telling to me.

I have seen and snorkled among lots of incredible, thriving reefs in Hawaii and elsewhere, all while wearing copious amounts of oxybenzone. I'm not saying it doesn't harm them, just that I would expect with the millions of people snorkling in these waters, nearly all of which are wearing this sunscreen, there would be no coral left if there was even a moderate affect on the coral.

I for one don't want to wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, and booties, or a coat of zinc over my whole body, each time I venture into an ocean populated by coral. If there is a significant effect, I hope some alternatives can be developed. But I just don't see this as serious as some are making it out to be.

As is the norm these days on any topic or cause, objective data and perspective are often lacking, leaving people to ignorantly just pick a side and fight to the death.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Back in the day, we were sunbathers (not good, I know.) But these days, we avoid the sun, and prefer to stay in the shade as much as possible, because it's better for your skin. I actually like the light weight sun protective clothing - it's convenient, and allows us to use less sunscreen. I get cold while snorkeling, and it keeps me warm, as well.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The people whose skin is most at risk of skin cancer really should not be relying on sunscreen as their main form of protection. They need to do all the other methods:
rashguards
hats
shade
plan their day around the sun

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The people whose skin is most at risk of skin cancer really should not be relying on sunscreen as their main form of protection. They need to do all the other methods:
rashguards
hats
shade
plan their day around the sun
Everyone is at risk for skin cancer as a result of burning their skin, even dark skinned people.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
And that's exactly why I go to Hawaii. To cover up and to spend less time outside during the daytime. Really? :wall:
So you think wearing sunscreen is going to perfectly protect you from skin cancer? I could point you to studies that show sunscreen can cause skin cancer. Like you said, you can find studies that back practically any viewpoint.

I'm just saying there are alternatives to slathering on a bunch of chemicals on your skin to give you protection. Personally, I don't find wearing my Tilley hat much of a burden, and it protects my head and neck from the sun.

Kurt

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So you think wearing sunscreen is going to perfectly protect you from skin cancer? I could point you to studies that show sunscreen can cause skin cancer. Like you said, you can find studies that back practically any viewpoint.

I'm just saying there are alternatives to slathering on a bunch of chemicals on your skin to give you protection. Personally, I don't find wearing my Tilley hat much of a burden, and it protects my head and neck from the sun.

Kurt

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced of the safety of rubbing those chemicals all over my body. Best I can do is put a bit on my nose and forehead and refrain from full body sun tanning position. I grew up a sun worshipper in California and I am noticing those who stayed out of the sun have younger looking skin.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also known to be blunt, so I will tell you what crossed my mind when I read your earlier post...
Wow, there really are people who don't understand that killing our environment will kill us.

To WalnutBrown: I apologize. I have a habit of being overly blunt and direct (something that has come up in my performance reviews over an over again for the past 25 years :)) Comes across as upset, and I am not.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Everyone is at risk for skin cancer as a result of burning their skin, even dark skinned people.
Which is why I said "The people whose skin is most at risk of skin cancer" rather than 'The people who are at risk of skin cancer'

The people who are at less risk are most likely just fine with the possibly slightly less effective yet reef-friendly sunscreens.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

No harm, no foul :) We may have different opinions, and there's nothing wrong with being blunt. Let's just say I didn't have to look hard to see where you were coming from!

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that would end up banning almost all the popular sunscreens. Its such a shame the FDA formulations are they way they are - they are backwards and at least 20 years behind the other countries. All Europe and Asia has essentially moved on to the Tinsorb compounds, because they don't have all the problems the US compounds do (reef damage, potentially harmful chemicals, compounds are not stable in sun, so they have to be re-applied more often). I've imported some of these sunscreens, and they really are all they are cracked up to be, excellent protection, and best part was they have no chemical smell.

taffy19

Reaction score
I never understand why people like baking in the sun. I don't mind walking in the sun but always with a big hat on so not to burn.

We used to have a little dog that always wanted to go outside and be in the sun but after about 20 minutes she wanted to go back inside or was laying in the shade.

Animals have more sense than people. ;)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wow, that would end up banning almost all the popular sunscreens. Its such a shame the FDA formulations are they way they are - they are backwards and at least 20 years behind the other countries. All Europe and Asia has essentially moved on to the Tinsorb compounds, because they don't have all the problems the US compounds do (reef damage, potentially harmful chemicals, compounds are not stable in sun, so they have to be re-applied more often). I've imported some of these sunscreens, and they really are all they are cracked up to be, excellent protection, and best part was they have no chemical smell.

I'm with you, I use a Danish product, P20 is the product name, it is sold all through Europe. I buy it on amazon or when I am traveling to Europe. You put it on ONCE a DAY, yes you read that correctly. Good for 10+ hours and it is EXTREMELY Waterproof. I go on the Tradewinds Cruising vacations frequently, I put it on once a day. I scuba dive, snorkel, and I am on boat. I don't get burnt. I eventually get a tan. But once a day is so much easier. It is more like an oil that is easily absorbed by the skin. It is not cheap, but it is cheaper than applying sunscreen 4 or 5 times a day when you are in the sun and/or swimming for a 10+ hour day.

https://www.amazon.com/Riemann-P20-Once-Hours-Protection/dp/B000RE3JM0

Don't wear it near white clothes or towels, it does transfer and stain. I just wash my hand good after I apply it to keep the transfer by hand to a minimum. I can't help it on clothes and towels if I am wearing them, but if they are color and not white they seem to do just fine.

Last edited:

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best answer yet

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk