• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why do I see post numbers like (#123) posted but not every time?

taffy19

Reaction score
Does it have to do if we use different browsers or TapaTalk?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there should be a post number on every post, its actually a "link" with more info and provides the ability to link directly to the post within any thread.

taffy19

Reaction score
This is why I don't see them either. I thought that it had to do with TapaTalk but I deleted that App a long time ago. I also seem to have two different identities. One for the iPhone and another one for my Apple notebook. I have never figured this out yet nor Apple Support either. One has all my email still but the iPhone has lost everything. :mad:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
might be a screen resolution size thing where the format of the forum will alter itself to be more presentable based on the screen resolution of the device being used to browse it from.

it will certainly look different on a large desktop, a tablet, and a mobile device.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
On my tablet, if I view in landscape mode (i.e. screen turned wider than tall) the post numbers show. When the tablet is turned to portrait mode (taller than wide) the post numbers drop off.

On my phone, the screen is too narrow in either orientation for the numbers to show.

taffy19

Reaction score
I still do not see it either way. Thanks for checking it out.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
might be a screen resolution size thing where the format of the forum will alter itself to be more presentable based on the screen resolution of the device being used to browse it from.

it will certainly look different on a large desktop, a tablet, and a mobile device.
Yes. Xenforo is built to adjust the layout depending on the screen size. You can try to force "desktop view" if your mobile browser supports this.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
one can test this on any desktop by slowly shrinking your browser window using your mouse (just drag the box diagonally) and you will begin to see the overall layout change as the width and height of your browser window gets smaller.

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes, that worked but not visible on the phone either way horizontal or vertical. Now, I know.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i can only imagine that at some point, the resolution gets small enough to trim out nearly all the "extra" buttons and links on a forum thread and only leaves the main ones.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When the display is narrow enough that XenForo drops the poster info column from the left of the post and replaces it with a horizontal poster info strip across the top of the post, that's when the post number button drops off.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't see the numbers either. I'm using an iPad and iPhone. I wonder if this is something inherently difficult for the forum software to handle---Apple stuff I mean!

I don't see anything other than the name of the poster and I've lost the ability to send links to individual posts.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think it has anything to do with Apple (although I certainly could be wrong as I only have Windows and Android to check it on). I think it is strictly a matter of the pixel width being used to display the page.

Images below reduced in size 25%:

Here is your message on a normal desktop window on Windows:
icydog1.jpg

As the window width is reduced, at some point the forum software accommodates the narrower window by dropping the blue side bars and the left poster information column, and changing the message format to this:
icydog2.jpg

In the narrower format, some information is rearranged, but others are dropped.

Further reductions in window width change the line-wrapping length, but no further layout changes until you reach the point where it won't shorten the text lines any further and you'd have to scroll left/right to see the entire message:
icydog3.jpg

Last edited:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
On my tablet, if I view in landscape mode (i.e. screen turned wider than tall) the post numbers show. When the tablet is turned to portrait mode (taller than wide) the post numbers drop off.

On my phone, the screen is too narrow in either orientation for the numbers to show.

Wow, I never noticed the numbers before. But I get the same thing, viewable on my tablet in landscape mode but not in portrait mode.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with Apple (although I certainly could be wrong as I only have Windows and Android to check it on). I think it is strictly a matter of the pixel width being used to display the page.

Images below reduced in size 25%:

Here is your message on a normal desktop window on Windows:
View attachment 4578

As the window width is reduced, at some point the forum software accommodates the narrower window by dropping the blue side bars and the left poster information column, and changing the message format to this:
View attachment 4579
In the narrower format, some information is rearranged, but others are dropped.

Further reductions in window width change the line-wrapping length, but no further layout changes until you reach the point where it won't shorten the text lines any further and you'd have to scroll left/right to see the entire message:
View attachment 4580

Wow that was interesting! Who knew?

With so many of us use using tablets it's a shame the software can't accommodate the narrower screen size in portrait mode. However, in landscape, I NOW FIND I CAN SEE the information under each name again! Again, who knew? Thanks so much! Marylyn

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unanswered question:

Does it have to do if we use different browsers or TapaTalk?

TapaTalk installs its own display mode, I think. I don't use it myself, so this answer will have to come from somebody that does.