*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Why buy Aulani points?

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by Jay MA, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Jay MA

Jay MA TUG Member

I am getting solicitations from Disney to add 50 Aulani points and I do not understand the logic. It appears from the point chart that 50 points will usually only get you 2-3 nights there, obviously way too few to make it worth coming from the east cost. So, unless I can also use my BLT points with the 11 month booking window if I buy 50 Aulani points, then why wouldn't I just use my regular BLT points and try to book at 7 months? Am I missing something or is Disney just trying to selll 50 points without any additional benefit?

Thanks

2. dvc_john

dvc_john TUG Member

Well, with banking and borrowing, 50 points would get you 100 points every other year, or 150 points every third year. Some people may do that to get 4 or 5 days at Aulani, then head over to Maui or Kona or Kauai for the rest of their vacation.

3. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

yep - tack this onto a 7 night timeshare trade and you're talking...

but IIRC, aulani also has a unique fee ($250 or so) tacked on when you go to resell it, so i would be less likely to buy a small resale at aulani than i would at one of the wdw resorts...

4. chriskre

chriskre TUG Member

I can see the logic of someone on the west coast owning a small contract to do as dvcjohn says, to bank and borrow every 2 or 3 years and have the 11 month advantage for booking.

I know I've thought of it for Monday-Thursday and working it around my weeks exchanges. I think this could be a good thing.

5. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Since I live in on Oahu I will just use my SSR points to book at the 7 month window whenever I need a stay. Aulani is a big resort (in terms of DVC rooms) so I will bet there will be rooms available for all but the busiest times. ALso most DVC members live on the east coast so I donot think they will be coming every year. Did you notice that Aulani is the only DVC resort that uses the same amount of points for weekdays or weekends? You do not save any points if you stay sun till thurs at Aulani.

6. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Where is this info regarding the fee? When I went to do the tour, it was not mentioned by the guide or any of the papawork. Guess they clamping down on the small contracts.

7. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member