• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

which card to use?

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at a Ritz Carlton later this year. Is it better to use the Marriott card for stays or the SPG card?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
SPG cad will earn you 2 points per dollar, if you then transfer them to the MR program, it becomes 6 points. Better than the 5 you get with the MR Chase Visa. Use the SPG Amex.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Until they change the SPG to MR conversion rate I can't think of a reason to use my Marriott Visa. I'm loving the SPG card. To get 3 MR points on every day purchases is awesome. I'm racking up major points paying for everything I possibly can with it.

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am favoring your way of thinking also. It seems like 3 points on the SPG card is better then 2% back. The only other thing I was thinking was that the Southwest card might be also good to use to get free flights as I have the companion pass.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thought...the Ritz-Carlton Rewards card. Three upgrades to the Club Level per year, same points as Marriott. Cheers.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
And I'll throw in another option: Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Yes, the $450/year fee is steep, but it's offset by some major benefits, including a $300 credit for any travel charges made during the year--effectively lowering the annual fee to $150. Also includes free Priority Pass card for entry into Priority Pass airport lounges worldwide and full reimbursement for Global Entry application, among many other benefits.

Regarding ongoing charges, you earn 3 points per dollar on all travel and dining purchases, equaling a 6.3% return on those purchases. And if you book travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards site, you also get an automatic 20% discount by booking airfare, hotels, rental cars, or cruises through their travel portal. (By the way, the costs of travel are competitive with market prices, meaning it's a true 20% discount.)

Here's The Points Guy's take on the Chase Sapphire Reserve: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/all-about-chase-sapphire-reserve-perks/

del2327

TUG Member
Reaction score
All good points, but if you are also trying to obtain points to reach one or more of the Marriott lifetime status levels, the 5x points earned using the Marriott card will count toward lifetime status but the 6 points earned using the SPG card and then transferring the points to Marriott will not count. In addition, if you use the Marriott card, the charges will help you obtain credit for a Marriott stay while the SPG card won't.

If I was already platinum due to my prior history or due to my ownership level and didn't have keep track of stays and lifetime points, I'd use the SPG card.

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information del2327. I didn't know about the differences in how points are allocated .
The features on the Chase card are substantial and probably worth the spend. I did try the Citi Platinum for just those reasons when it came out.