• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy for a second timeshare?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I currently own a fixed summer week at Grand Pacific Palisades (GPP) that is enrolled with HGVC and was purchased resale late 2012. With this purchase I can use the fixed summer week or opt for the 8400 points. For the last five years we have only used the summer week with our two boys, 8 and 11. GPP is a great place for families with lots to do in and around Carlsbad. We have been very pleased and thus far have had no desire to use the points in lieu of the week.

We are looking to purchase another timeshare. My initial thought was HGVC again primarily for the points to use at other club locations or RCI (maybe Disney). The positives are that I am familiar with HGVC and the locations and that I wouldn't have to pay a second club due. For that reason I am thinking 7000 or 8400 points in Vegas to keep the MF low.

I know there are some out there with multiple HGVC and some that compliment HGVC with something different. Looking for your feedback on my thinking. Is there something else I should consider? I am not too familiar with the other systems with maybe the exception of Worldmark as I investigated that before I purchased GPP.

Thanks in advance.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I admit to knowing nothing about HGVC. I also do not have points, but fixed weeks at a family resortd on the East Coast.

For our second timeshare we acquired one for the week AFTER our original one so they are back to back. Week 30 and 31, giving us a two week vacation. And we can drive to them. Each one is exactly 6 hours from our home. The great thing is it is only a 2 hour drive from the first one to the second one and both are Sunday check-in and check out. Of course, we could exchange either one of them. And if we wanted to- which we don't- we could convert either one to points in the future.

So my point being- if you get a second one you might want to be able to add it to your first week, before or after, for the times maybe you just want a two week vacation back to back, but also one that you can use to trade to other places whenever you want.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I admit to knowing nothing about HGVC. I also do not have points, but fixed weeks at a family resorts on the East Coast.

For our second timeshare we acquired one for the week AFTER our original one so they are back to back. Week 30 and 31, giving us a two week vacation. And we can drive to them. Each one is exactly 6 hours from our home. The great thing is it is only a 2 hour drive from the first one to the second one and both are Sunday check-in and check out. Of course, we could exchange either one of them. And if we wanted to- which we don't- we could convert either one to points in the future.

So my point being- if you get a second one you might want to be able to add it to your first week. before or after, for the times maybe you just want a two week vacation back to back, but also one that you can use to trade to other places whenever you want.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You obviously found a place you love, Grand Pacific Palisades, that you use. I would buy with the same intent. If Disney is a place you can see yourself going to 1/2 the time it might be a good option for you.

Is Vegas a place you would like to go? Yes, I know you can use your points anywhere else in the system but I love knowing I can definitely go where and when I want and have the option to trade if I choose. My two Hgvc's are at properties I love to go to.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I will second the advice to buy what you know you like/will use. You can always trade OUT...sometimes it's more difficult to trade IN to those prime weeks. We own 4 weeks, all at the same small independent resort in NH. One summer week we use every single year, two more weeks--one in April and one at Christmas--are a 50/50 split between trade/use (depends on how the calendar lines up to school breaks), and the 4th one is always traded. Someday when we aren't worried about school...we'll use all 4 right there, and enjoy a week of each season in NH. We bought where we love to go, and we wouldn't change a thing! Good luck as you research and find just the right thing for your family.

Reactions: RX8

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'll tell you another thing, I am so happy to have fixed deeded weeks. I know people with points love them, but at least we are not locked into always having to book our weeks at our home resorts- we just show up- and also we are not locked into having to use a particular exchange company- we can use one or not-saving us money on membership and exchange fees.

Look at all the crap the Wyndham people are going through right now just to book vacations they supposedly "own".

You can always rent to go to other, additional vacation destinations once in a while.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own fixed winter weeks in South Florida along the beach (3 resorts ... hurricanes should not ruin ALL of my plans) ... cheaper than a condo ... plus, everyone at a timeshare is generally healthy and happy. They had to get there plus remember WHEN to come down.

Points systems can be a crap shoot and requires LOTS of luck along with rigid planning. Plus, points systems have COSTs on top of the resort's MFs. While harder to find ... you can general cancel the points system overlay (like Wyndham) to revert back to the underlying week ... but NOT for FLOAT WEEKS. As a float still requires early booking and there might not be enough options available to get what you would like.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own fixed winter weeks in South Florida along the beach (3 resorts ... hurricanes should not ruin ALL of my plans) ... cheaper than a condo ... plus, everyone at a timeshare is generally healthy and happy. They had to get there plus remember WHEN to come down.

Points systems can be a crap shoot and requires LOTS of luck along with rigid planning. Plus, points systems have COSTs on top of the resort's MFs. While harder to find ... you can general cancel the points system overlay (like Wyndham) to revert back to the underlying week ... but NOT for FLOAT WEEKS. As a float still requires early booking and there might not be enough options available to get what you would like.

I would disagree with the characterization that points timeshares require rigid planning. It is actually the opposite. If something you want is booked already, be prepared to flex and choose another destination and/or time.

What these DO require is very EARLY planning, depending on the flexibility of the system. A very flexible system with no booking fees (like WorldMark) allows owners to make a speculative booking and then try to plan one's life around that date. Others that charge (like Wyndham or RCI) for excess bookings offer this flexibility for a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will really depend on where you want to stay. If you will primarily stay in HGVC properties, another purchase with them is a good idea. Keep in mind there are fees to use whenever you don't book your home week. While Hilton owners generally seem happy, there are also many who post on here they want to get rid of theirs whenever there are changes. Changes come just about every year and fees are always going up.

Worldmark has many more locations and the cost to use is basically nothing if you stay within the system. The resorts can be a step down from Hiltons, though.

Another thing to consider is the cost of flying. If you need to fly whenever you use your timeshare, there may be times when that is more difficult. Finding places close enough to drive can be nice.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
HGVC seems good if you want WDW. Both from trading in via RCI to get DVC, as well as the HGVC resorts in Orlando, which are all very nice. You could also likely tag on an extra week/days to your current HGVC in SOCAL, or add a week in Hawaii and fly from CA. Since you know and like the system, I would buy a resale HGVC week.
Other options-as you are NJ, a week at ski resort could also be a good idea. In the past, I would recommend Smugglers Notch both summer and winter for their excellent family activities, but it seems like their have been a lot of changes-so do your homework if considering there. Also, see below re. exit. A summer east coast beach week can also be a good idea, assuming you are up for the drive. But, as HGVC now has MB and HHI properties, I'd probably just try to snag MB/HHI with another HGVC.
FYI--I live in DC and bought 2 summer beach weeks when my kids were young. Both resale. Both were good resorts, one even a Gold Crown with RCI. We have used or traded for the past 10 years and are satisfied with our purchases. But, neither held even 50% of its purchase price value, including a 3BR 4th of July fixed week at HHI. Always think exit strategy. A resale HGVC or Marriott week is much more likely to hold its value IMHO.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We own only Points and we love them both - Worldmark and Diamond. Do we plan in advance? Yes. But that is ny nature. We have the next 13 months reserved out - Seaside Oregon × 2 trips, Long Beach Wa, San Jose del Cabo (3 weeks), Leavenworth Wa, Victoria BC (2 weeks), and West Yellowstone. With Worldmark without trading we have been all over the USA (including multiple trips to Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia (Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Tasmania), etc. With Diamond we primarily go to Hawaii and Europe.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
You obviously found a place you love, Grand Pacific Palisades, that you use. I would buy with the same intent.
Another thing to consider is the cost of flying. If you need to fly whenever you use your timeshare, there may be times when that is more difficult. Finding places close enough to drive can be nice.

You might want to consider getting another fixed week at GPP either before or after the one you already own. This way you can trade either one of the fixed weeks for a week near Disney or couple the weeks for 2 weeks at a destination you already love. This is something I have been considering for my Carlsbad ownership (though it's hard for me to find fixed Summer weeks at CBI that are affordable).

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally different perspective... If you plan in advance (and with kids in school - you can plan winter and summer vacations 2 years in advance because you know the schedules, and spring a year in advance) then go with a great trader! Get a two bedroom cheap lockoff unit and you can get more bang for your buck. Personally, I've traveled almost exclusively with my RCI and II traders, and have stayed in Hawaii, Smugglers Notch, Carlsbad GPP, Palm Springs, Sedona, Lake Tahoe, Cancun, Los Cabos - all in great units. My traveling has changed over the last decade. When the kids were younger, we went to GPP every summer. But we haven't been there in about 6 years because the eldest outgrew it. As the kids enter college, I won't be needing 2 bedroom units as much. Their summers will be unpredictable because they will be working. Life changes - and the traders have allowed me to change how I travel. My aquamarine villas week has been great for RCI trading. They can be found super cheaply on ebay (I think they go basically for free.) And they get enough points for a 2 bedroom unit it Los Cabos or Cancun Xmas or New Years week with 1/4 of the points left over to use for a different week. But the trading game takes a lot of work - so if you want to know you can secure the place you are going easily, don't go that route.

The Marriott Destination Club is probably the most flexible, but the maintenance fees are almost as much as renting. Sounds like you don't like Worldmark - but that is also one of the most flexible and cost-effective systems. DRI is extremely flexible if you buy from the company - but very high maintenance fees and upfront costs (there are ways around that, but you have to do a lot of research.) Westin units are great - but it's not easy to use staroptions at your non-home resorts in prime time for Hawaii, Scottsdale, Harborside, or St. John. I don't know anything about Hyatt, but their locations look fantastic.

Renting may actually make the most sense for you... You can find exactly where you want to go, in the unit size you need each year.

On a separate note: GPP was the BEST vacation spot for so many years!! Love that place. When there, we would go to Legoland every day early morning and an hour before closing time to avoid the lines, walking there and back from GPP. Your post brought back some great memories! (of course, there was the one time I discovered my kids had lice as we were heading to the park - the first 2 days of THAT trip were no fun!!) :-0

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Thank you everyone for the advice. I had thought about purchasing another Carlsbad summer week (29 or 31) that would enable us to spend two weeks if we wanted. I could look for another GPP but that would be without HGVC (no longer transfers on resale). Marbrisa is an option I like but the only concern there is the higher MF (about $400 or so more than Vegas). One thing Marbrisa does offer over Vegas is a fixed summer week or points.

I would think we would use the second TS more so for HGVC resorts and/or RCI (Hawaii and DVC). I should add that we purchased the original GPP while we lived in CA. It was a relatively short 2 hour drive to the resort and that was great and cheap to get there. Plus we even used the day use a few times. Unfortunately, we have since moved to NJ due to my job but still visit CA annually due to family. Having the fixed summer week makes it that much easier to get to CA. At some point we do plan on moving back closer to CA and therefore I would not be opposed to a second CA timeshare. The good news is that I can take it slow and wait for the right one, at the right price, to pop up.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Plus if you are still visiting California annually, with the price of airfare, it would be nice to stay 2 weeks instead of just 1.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I think you want to ask yourself the same types of things that went into choosing your first timeshare.

What do you want out of your second timeshare purchase? An exotic destination like the caribbean or hawaii? Something easy to drive to? Something near Disney? Hot weather? Skiing? Beaches?

Do you want a fixed week that requires no planning and certainty about what you will get but also offers no flexibility?

Do you want a points program (with or without underlying deeded property) that gives you flexibility in when/where and what size unit you want with low or no exchange type fees but which requires planning ahead?

Once you decide what you want out of the ownership, then you will be able to zero in on what is the best product to fill your bill.

We own a wide variety of timeshares, mostly points systems, because each of them offers us something that we can't get from the others.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with the other TUGGers , buy where you would want to stay, if you never exchange would you be happy at that resort? We have 6 weeks of timeshare at 6 locations all different time of year. We are just 2 now,kids are grown, no school schedule and on the verge of retirement. Right now we have multiple vacations planned. Not staying at home resorts until next year. Trying new places, thru TUG exchange, and RCI. Also have a week banked with II . A good place to look for a second timeshare is TUG Marketplace. Most of our weeks were purchased there. We also bought one from Sumday Vacations. Good .luck, welcome to TUG!
Silentg

RJones

Reaction score
My experience has been that these huge name brand properties tend not to trade so well with exchange companis (RCI,II) so if youre in love with HGVC properties/hotels make sure you have enough points to manuver around internally.