• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy?

amirh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Lodges
Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker so I have a good understanding of what I'm getting into and would like your advice now that I've decided to buy. I've been to a few marketing presentation weekends and so far was able to resist all but one (which I rescinded the next day). All of my experience so far is with HGVC (Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Orlando and NYC in September). I tend to stay in Hilton properties which is how I get these marketing weekends, but I don't have a firm brand loyalty.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Within 4 hour drive from Nashville, TN

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? I plan on trading more than half the time.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? I don't have a preference, my travel is usually based on airfare costs. I do want the ability to travel internationally.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? Total of 3

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Any time

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4+

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $10,000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $2,000 - $3,000

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

Thanks,
Amir

amirh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Lodges
No one has any advice or feedback to provide?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite. I don't know the status of the TSs around Sevierville since last year's fires. Also whether or not you'd term Wyndham 4+stars. I wouldn't, though they're nice. As to exchanging internationally, I think RCI has more choices, though generally TSs overseas are not super luxury, or located where Americans want to go. And if your international travel is predicated on low airfares, how do you square that with a necessity to reserve the TS up to a year ahead?

So, for the recommendation. Wyndham points. They have the flexibility to exchange, include RCI membership, and are available resale from many sources.

Jim

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think you criteria 4+ accommodations and 4 hour driving distance from your home will be hard. Being you almost purchased HGVC that might be a good fit for you except longer then 4 hour drive. I own Hgvc and the flexibility within the system, resale price points, reasonable maintence are all good. You can trade within RCI, and with careful planning you should be able to get a good mix for resorts.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Worldmark is an excellent recommendation for the needs of the OP. It's a nice system. In terms of quality, it's probably a 3.5 on the OP's scale, so workable. Marriott and Hilton are 4 to 4.5. Vistana and Hyatt are 5. These are my opinions, of course--and since they're offered for free, they're probably worth what you paid for them :)

I don't have any experience outside of Hilton. I don't have good information on ratings for various TS but I would trust @WalnutBaron post to another OPs questions. I agree also with @Panina, I didn't respond because of the 4 hour driving requirement. That (as I am sure you know) disqualifies Hilton. I think that the other requirements would be meet. I think which may be available within 4 hour driving requirement would be disqualified because of quality requirement.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Since you asked, check out the bargain deals in Marketplace. Pick out a red week and stay there to see if you like it. I always buy timeshares at a time and place I want to stay. Trying not to trade thru RCI or II very much. I prefer to deal with other tug members. Have had many good experiences buying, selling and exchanging.
Silentg

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got to agree with the posters above - 4 star & 4 hours are pretty much mutually exclusive. There's definitely not an abundance of 4 star accommodations in the mid-south...you'll most likely need to be willing to travel a little farther or consider settling for 2.5/3 star. I've ran into the same problem here in Memphis, lol!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I don't have any experience outside of Hilton. I don't have good information on ratings for various TS but I would trust @WalnutBaron post to another OPs questions. I agree also with @Panina, I didn't respond because of the 4 hour driving requirement. That (as I am sure you know) disqualifies Hilton. I think that the other requirements would be meet. I think which may be available within 4 hour driving requirement would be disqualified because of quality requirement.
Ummm ... WM doesn't have much strength in/near TN.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As you are planning on exchanging more than 50% of the time ... I would suggest a mini-system like VRI ... Vacation Resorts International. These resorts are about 3star level but many trade both RCI and II plus their trading system platform VRIety (via Trading Places).

I would suggest buying a 2/2 lockoff unit ... a unit you can separate into 2 trades for 1 deed and MFs... in this case, a full 1bdr unit and a Studio unit. VRI resorts do have reasonable MFs ... under $900 for a 2/2 lockoff ... but again, not a Marriott or Starwood "5 Star" level resort... but has a great location. Prime seasons ALWAYS trade better .. but will cost more to buy.

II trades are like for like .. .a 1bdr gets a 1bdr. I believe you can trade down in season and unit size.

RCI trades with TPUs based on demand pull. Take 2 studio units, combine the TPUs and for a higher point value, get a bigger unit. Or take a studio unit TPU value in Prime season .. .get a full 1bdr in a lesser season.

amirh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Lodges
Thanks everyone, this is all very good information. Out of every thing on the list, I would say that having my home resort within 4 hours drive is the least important and having a 4+ accommodation the most important.

Jim's comment about having to plan a year in advance is something I didn't think about so thanks for that.

I'll have to do more research on Vistana, Mariot and Hyatt since I don't know much about them. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Amir

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Thanks everyone, this is all very good information. Out of every thing on the list, I would say that having my home resort within 4 hours drive is the least important and having a 4+ accommodation the most important.

Here is my suggest to you. Since you have already been to several Hilton sales presentations, I would then suggest start reading information on each of the Vistana, Marriott, & Hyatt specific forums. There should be Informational Sticky's at the top of each forum. Start there. I don't know anything about Vistana but both Marriott and Hyatt look interesting to me. If anything does look good, start digging deeper and ask questions in their forums.

Good Luck.
Gary

Last edited: