TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

What should I buy?

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by pikapp285, Mar 12, 2017.

1. pikapp285

pikapp285 Guest

I'm learning more about timeshare resales. I love this site and the TUG community. My wife and I are both in our late 20s, live in Seattle, and just welcomed a baby about a year ago. We both work in tech and I work for a travel tech company in Seattle, so we have very generous vacationing/travel policies that we take advantage of (even with the baby). We go to Hawaii every year for a week around the same time, early January (we have explored different islands but we like Oahu--outside of Waikiki--the best). We are fairly into "travel hacking" (e.g. airline points, VRBO, that sort of thing) so the idea of being able to have points to play with is appealing but with the baby our options have become more limited and we are interested in stability. We just got back from Disney in Orlando and the thought of being able to go to Aulani once a year with the kids is very appealing, however as I researched I have realized that may not the best bang of the buck for us (might be better to get Marriott Ko Olina next door, for instance). Ideally we would want something like a 2 bedroom so the kids would have their own rooms in the future and in the meantime we could perhaps bring some guests. We would like the option to trade but we definitely would not be buying a TS for the sole purpose of trading, but wouldn't want something that is difficult to trade with. We generally vacation at least 2 weeks a year, with one of those being in Hawaii so having a second week we could use elsewhere in the same program (or different program) is something I'm looking into. I have given my answers to the survey below but wanted to give an introduction in hopes that I will get more finely tuned help from you kind folks. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Hawaii (preferably Oahu outside of Waikiki, or Maui)

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Would probably visit home resort (Hawaii) 80%+ of the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
    Hawaii
    California
    Orlando
    Utah
    South Carolina

4) How many people do you usually travel with? My wife and baby (could be more babies to come)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Extremely flexible at the moment but that will probably change in 5 - 6 years when children start school

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? We are used to low end (probably unlicensed) VRBO rentals in Hawaii so anything would be a bump for us from that. I don't know much about how the star ratings work but wouldn't want a dump but don't need the Ritz Carlton either. I am more interested in how crowded pools and beaches are rather than the types of spas that are available on site.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? 12-15k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? 2500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

2. Joe33426

Joe33426 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
    We don't travel to Hawaii, but it seems like a very popular destination, so buying where you want to go every year would be a good strategy. Since you're on the west coast I'd look at Worldmark and get a small points contract along with a floating Platinum week at Marriott Ko Olina.

dagger1 likes this.
  3. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

The answer from the prior poster was a good one. In your shoes, I'd probably get an every-other-year unit at Ko Olina for use there. And since you live in the heart of Worldmark country, it would make sense to pick up a 10K or 12K or so WM point membership. If you want to switch up islands in Hawaii, Marriott has some nice resorts on Maui and Kauai that you could easily trade into with preference via II. Alternatively, you could book Worldmark resorts on Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island although they won't be nearly as nice as the Marriott resorts. A Marriott / WM package would be well within your budget.

4. pikapp285

pikapp285 Guest

Thanks for the replies. We ended up getting a 20k WorldMark account with about 40k banked on eBay for a good price. Waiting to close now. Interested to find out how hard it is to trade into other resorts in Hawaii outside of preference (we aren't tied to Marriott properties). If it isn't too difficult we will probably just stick with Worldmark since we really like their property list and MFs. The 20k account puts us at the top of a MF bracket and allows us 2 housekeeping tokens annually, which works great for us. Happy so far.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5. K2Quick

K2Quick TUG Member

I think that's a solid decision (in fact it's the same exact set-up I've got so I'm probably biased). I've got memberships to both II and RCI, but I've found myself using the internal WM system more than the exchanges the more I'm tied to a school calendar. Since you're not tied down with that at the moment, I'd recommend joining one or both of the major exchanges as you can milk a ton of value out of trades. For Hawaii, RC1 will give you the Hilton resorts on Oahu and the Big Island and they are very easy to get into if you're willing to pull the trigger about 18 months out. They also have a lot of quality Wyndham and other units on most of the islands. II gives you Marriott/Westin/Hyatt but, in Hawaii, those trades have become increasingly difficult to get unless you have (and it appears even if you have) a unit with trading preference.